Kudos to the Christians/Believers on JWD. (seriously)

by Open mind 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

First off I'd like to say that the title of this thread is NOT tongue-in-cheek. I remember a thread from AK-Jeff a couple months ago where he observed how some posters develop a condescending attitude towards Christians and how that made him feel like he didn't really fit in here. I'm sure that may have come across (unintentionally) in some of my recent threads where I've related my arrival at agnosticism/atheism.

I don't share the Christian faith anymore, but I'm very happy that many of you still have it and, from all appearances, will likely never lose it. Why should I care about what you believe in? Because the fact that there is no shared "eventuality" for those who join JWD should be a comforting thought for any newbies/lurkers who think if they read another word they're going to automatically throw out the Bible and God.

If there's any "solidarity" on JWD, it's that we (almost) all see or feel something wrong with the JW experience. Put more succintly, but more cliche: Our diversity is our strength.

Keep on posting. Everyone.

Open Mind

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Nicely stated OM. And it bespeaks that your screen name fits your persona.

I believe that most of us are in 'metamorphosis' for a time after leaving high control religions. I am I believe. I retain a 'basic Christian' position - though I am not particularly evangelical or charismatic about it at all now. A fellow poster emailed me some time back with his 'thesis' of doctrine since leaving - basically he said that he accepts 'the story of Christianity' if not the entire doctrinal superstructure. That may fit my position at this point fairly well - though my thinking is still in evolutionary status at this junctor.

Anyway - thank you from this poster for the truly open minded viewpoint. I agree with your maxim;

Our diversity is our strength.

Jeff

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Because the fact that there is no shared "eventuality" for those who join JWD should be a comforting thought for any newbies/lurkers who think if they read another word they're going to automatically throw out the Bible and God.

I agree, I think it's great that we have such a huge arsenal of arguments and experiences. The JW's fail scientifically, logically, moraly, and theologically. And we have all those bases covered.

Lore

• zack
    zack

Thanks for the post.

The freedom from dogmatism is intoxicating to me. The positions the WTS asserts and then demands of its members is suffocating, especially since they have nothing to do with anything that is either testable or proven.

Faith is the assured expectation of realities though not beheld. The WTS wants credulity and capitulation, not faith. This forum has certainly enabled me to think, broaden my mind, and do so with, if you pardon the pun, an open mind. Any man who speaks before having heard the whole matter is stupid. The WTS should follow that advice from the Bible. How can any one know anything without hearing the many things that are to be said? So what if it takes a life time.

Thanks.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

To Open Minds

• unique1
    unique1

Excellent point. I have become apparently an agnostic theist according to wikipedia, but I still respect the opinions of all. You can't be truly informed unless you consider all sides. That is what we forgot to do while in the "truth" and that is what we must all keep doing now.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Good impulse Open mind.

I hope I haven't alienated the believers either.

Respect to all.

Nate

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Good post open mind

I find you and Nvr! absolutely fine. I find what's different about you guys is that you are prepared to listen and interact rather than baiting and then belittling as I've found some have done in the past. If you ridicule, there's never any apparent 'malice' (that's not the right word - too strong but I hope you get what I'm saying), which is why I'm able to engage with you in the banter - I'm still thinking of that fantastic thread Nvr started the other week, wasn't it great, we debated some serious stuff and actually had fun doing it!!!

So Amen to more atheist/agnostic posters like you and Nvr

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

OPENMIND

Our diversity is our strength.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

BTW, did I happen to mention that I'm right and you're all wrong?

Open Mind

(of the, don't take life too seriously cuz no one gets out alive, class)

(or do they?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit