Adam & Eve question???

by tan 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Grammy
    Grammy
    Come on, people! This is the most warped myth imaginable being passed off as history.
    It is folk nonsense.

I wholeheartedly agree

• Warlock
    Warlock

Come on, people! This is the most warped myth imaginable being passed off as history.

It is folk nonsense.

Can't we have any fun????

Lighten up, man!!!!!!

Warlock

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    why did Eve have to have a rib from Adam and all of the the other animals were just created?

(1) God wanted her to be modest.

"I will not create her from the head for she may carry herself haughtily; nor from the eye for she may be too inquisitive; nor from the ear, for she may be an eavesdropper, nor from the mouth for she may be too talkative; nor from the heart for she may be too jealous; nor from the hand for she may be too acquisitive; nor from the foot for she may be a gadabout. I will create her from a hidden part of the body that she may be modest." - taken from rabbinic sermon from the Middle Ages

(2) Some Jews associated bone properties with (patriarchal definitions of) femininity.

"Man is easier to pacify than woman because he is made from a clod rather than from a bone. Water will soften a clod at once, whereas a bone will remain hard even after being soaked in water for days. Another Jewish tradition explains why only woman needs perfumes. Man is made from dust which does not increase in odor no matter how long it is kept, but woman is made from a flesh-covered bone which will soon reek if not sprinkled with spices."

(3) Puts her in her place in relation to man

It was right for the woman to be made from a rib of man ... to signify the social union of man and woman; for the woman should neither use authority over man, and so she was not made from his head; nor was it right for her to be subject to man's contempt as his slave, and so she was not made from his feet.- Thomas Aquinas Summa Theologica, 1, q. 92, 3

that she should be made of a rib taken from under his arm, to show that she ought to be under the hand and guidance of her husband 19 - Francis de Sales, Introduction to the Devout Life, 3, 38.

(4) Puts her nearest to man's heart (whoever wrote that, either felt the pinch of misogyny or they needed some from their wives)

Adam, in Paradise Lost, speaks endearingly of the formation of his "other half": "Out of my side to thee, nearest my heart." - John Milton, Paradise Lost, 4, 11. 484 and 488

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Points roughly summarised from Theology Today article, Adam's Rib: Bone of Contentionby William E. Phipps

INQ

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

adam was walking through the garden when jehovah approached him. he told adam, i will make you a perfect mate. she will be loving, submissive, a perfect companion. adam said, that sounds great. jehovah said, it'll cost you an arm and a leg though. adam thought for a bit, and said, what can i get for a rib? lol

• MUNKAFATS
    MUNKAFATS

dreaux , i should be offended but that was funny

• rassillon
    rassillon

It made them one flesh....

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Because God could, he was showing off

"and for my next trick................tada"

• eclipse
    eclipse

(2) Some Jews associated bone properties with (patriarchal definitions of) femininity.

"Man is easier to pacify than woman because he is made from a clod rather than from a bone. Water will soften a clod at once, whereas a bone will remain hard even after being soaked in water for days. Another Jewish tradition explains why only woman needs perfumes. Man is made from dust which does not increase in odor no matter how long it is kept, but woman is made from a flesh-covered bone which will soon reek if not sprinkled with spices."

That was one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read. Men usually stink more than women do

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Adam was perfect, and revelled in his manly glory.

He checked out the beasts at the Eden Bar scene, and could find none he liked as much as himself.

Eve was a female clone of Adam.

NOW Adam could be happy.

They were always "one flesh" before the beast with two backs entered the scene.

It is all rather sick and sordid, isn't it?

• sinis
    sinis

Its because the Anunnaki required it for cloning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit