YOUR DAILY JOURNAL

by compound complex 1320 Replies latest jw friends

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Q,

i had a friend many years ago who had a malamute a very friendly fun dog but always in trouble for destroying plants and getting into everything. That dog's picture ended up in the newspaper because someone took a picture of him trying to tear up a tree.

ND

• compound complex
    compound complex

I am so cross with my hard boiled eggs. They refuse all my efforts to peel them nicely, without gouges to their flesh and shards that cut my own.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Malamutes are pack animals. When they are taken into a family they become part of the pack, from their standpoint, they need lots of attention. If they don't get it they will become destructive.

Ours runs around the yard tearing small branches off trees, digs huge holes, and steals whatever you bring into the yard. We spend 3 to 4 hours with her. She has calmed down some, but not enough, We continue to be in a learning period with her.

CoCo, cool your eggs off before peeling.

• talesin
    talesin

The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel. ;) oh, the irony ...

You can try peeling it under running cold water while it's still hot; that sometimes works a bit better (starting at the rounded smaller top), then just put the peeled egg in a container if you need it for later.

t

* eats lots of eggs *

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings and thanks, Quentin, Nancy and Talesin, for your interesting as well as helpful replies.

I've tried every trick vis-a-vis the eggs and I believe you're correct, Tal, about the freshness of the egg. Whenever I go to a party and there're the ubiquitous deviled eggs, I ask the hostess how they turn out so perfect ...

It's all lost on me! Think I'll just scramble up a pan of eggs, season them and throw them into my salad.

Spare me the heartache.

Gratefully,

CoCo Cracks

• talesin
    talesin

Morning ...

It was the beginning of another day in paradise, with the usual bathroom ablutions. Even so, she was hardly awake, in the conventional sense. Operating on auto-pilot may have been a better term for this particular morning.

She stumbled into the kitchen, turned the front burner of the stove on high, and filled her espresso pot with Brita-filtered water. The loud buzz of the coffee grinder split the silence of the early morning for a few seconds, and then, the smell of fresh-ground coffee beans filled the cozy kitchen. By the time the small espresso maker was prepared, the burner was red hot and ready to go. Ah, another 10 minutes, and she would have fresh coffee.

Now, the eggs ... they were the best ... fresh from the Mennonite folk who sold at the weekly market. No chemicals, and free run as well. Problem was, the darn things were so hard to peel. Ugh, she just didn't want to deal with that this morning. *sigh*

Wait ...*lightbulb moment* She opened a cupboard door, grabbed a medium-sized pot, and filled it with about 3 inches of water, covered it, and put it on the stove on high. Next, she got 3 eggs out of the fridge and set them on the counter.

"Now, let me see, where is the .. ah!" Looking in another cupboard, she found the container of vinegar, removed the lid from the pot, and measured about 1 tbsp. of vinegar into the water. 'O-tay, that'll congeal the whites', she mumbled to herself. 'Is that espresso almost ready?'

When the water came to a rolling boil, she cracked the eggs into a bowl, then slid them into the boiling water. As promised, the whites formed nice, round packages around the yolks. When the yolks were hard, she scooped them out onto a plate, and into the fridge to cool.

'Ah, my espresso is ready ...' grabbing a dainty coffee cup, rimmed with gold, she removes the espresso maker from the stove, and pours the rich, steamy brew into the delicate cup. This warrants a long, satisfying sniff ... mmmmm. 'I'll just set that on the window ledge to cool a moment.'

As she tore up the spinach leaves for her salad, she smiled to herself; 'yes, I will have boiled eggs with my salad' ... and gazed out the kitchen window at the perfect blue, blue, sky - inhaling the heady aroma of the coffee. She reached for her coffee cup, the porcelain so delicate it was almost translucent, and brought it to her lips. As she took the first sip, she closed her eyes, and enjoyed it to the full; the aroma, the warmth of the coffee, and wonderful, sharp flavour, tempered with her own special mix of mocha and french roast added to the espresso beans.

Ah yes,,, her eyes opened as her belly rumbled, waking out of her 'first cup of the day' reverie ... salad time.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Beautiful, Talesin!!!!!

What a joy to wake up at 3:30, turn on the iMac, brew my first cup of the day and find this gem awaiting!

How one idea may trigger a delightful tale is a wonder that continually astounds.

Love,

CoCo

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Sitting here half-asleep after a 13 hour work night reading these posts. I need to get to sleep because I have only 5 hours left to sleep before I have to return to work. I will get back to reading the posts on

Monday. I have miles to go and promises to keep. Can't remember who wrote those words right now but that is how I feel.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning and welcome to the forum, panhandlegirl:

May today's journey be without incident and may you, likewise, prosper.

Well, we know who said words to that effect!

Be safe out there.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

It's Monday ... again.

What's your week looking like?

Thanks,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit