Gun control logic

by Gregor 174 Replies latest social current

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

asleif_dufansdottir..Can you share your experience of using your gun against someone using a gun against you?

I'd really like to hear some experiences of gun owners that have found themselves facing shooters and what they did.

Swalker

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I don't own a handgun. I have in the past and probably will again one day but don't now. I've never shot anyone and never used the guns that I HAVE owned in self defense. I DO own a varmint gun (bull nose SS .22 magnum that is awesome for knocking those coons out of the trees!)

What kills me about the gun laws is that once again in the US we have a love of form over function. (trust me I'm working part time for tsa so I KNOW about pretending to make things safe) This guy shot up the school with semi auto pistols. So will they restrict semi auto pistols? Hell no they will go after uzi's or ak-47 or fingernail clippers or something?

Why did this dip s#it use semi auto pistols? Cause he thought he looked cool. Simple as that. If he had wanted maximum carnage he would have gotten a 12 gauge semi auto HUNTING gun and outfitted it with a big clip.

The simple fact is that the most universally destructive weapons are for hunting large game. They are also the LEAST used in crimes like this. What does this mean? Beats the hell out of me!

The other point is that an armed populace DOES keep the government in line. Really does!

End of the argument for me.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    So will they restrict semi auto pistols? Hell no they will go after uzi's or ak-47 or fingernail clippers or something?

What we really need is COMPREHENSIVE GUN LAWS!!!!!!!

Swalker

• zagor
    zagor

It is not perfect yet but it can be done. And it feels much safer already

http://www.guncontrol.org.au/index.php?article=6

A Beginners Guide to Australian Gun Laws

1. The matter of gun laws was not included in the Australian Constitution when it became operative at the start of the 20th Century, hence gun laws remain within the jurisdiction of the six states (New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia and Tasmania) and the two territories (Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory). The Commonwealth (Australian) government does not have the power to make gun laws but it can control imports. Since 1991 ex-military rifles such as Kalashnikov types, and military style lookalikes such as the Ruger Mini 14 cannot be imported.

2. Major gun massacres occurred in Victoria and NSW in 1987, in NSW 1991 and in Tasmania in 1996. 150 people died in multiple death shootings alone in the decade starting January 1987. Stricter gun laws have only been made in Australia after a major gun massacre. Some states did improve their gun laws in the late 1980's up to the mid-1990's, and to a degree such improvements filtered slowly to all jurisdictions. The gun death rate was noticeably reduced by 1995.

3. The death of 35 people and serious injuries to almost 20 others at Port Arthur on 28 April 1996 prompted the Australian government to urge a meeting of the eight state and territory police ministers to introduce a new and stricter range of gun controls. Three major changes were introduced.

(a) Gun registration was introduced to all eight jurisdictions (b) Attempts were made to have uniform gun laws throughout Australia (c) A new standardised gun licensing scheme was put into practice.

This new scheme allowed non-self-loading guns to be readily available but placed restrictions on high capacity self-loading rimfire rifles, self-loading centrefire rifles and shotguns and pump-action shotguns. These were the types of guns mainly used in Australian gun massacres. The basis for these changes had been laid in 1990 when the National Committee on Violence (NCV) made about 20 recommendations for improved gun controls. The NCV itself was formed as a result of the six gun massacres in 1987.

There were about four million guns in Australia. One million were no longer in the legal category so a gun buy-back scheme was introduced to purchase these. The estimated average price was $500 per gun. Hence 500 million dollars was set aside. Only 640,000 guns were offered for purchase, hence $320 million was used for this purpose. About another 40 million dollars was used for administration and assistance to gun traders. Since the 500 million dollars had come from a medical levy the balance was distributed to medical research and welfare. It should be noted that the total amount spent on purchasing guns was only about 200 million dollars US. It should also be noted that up to 40% of Australian gun owners did not obey the law, making the term 'law abiding shooters' look somewhat ridiculous.

4. Several exemptions to the gun licensing schedule were made by most jurisdictions. Members of certain shotgun target shooting clubs were permitted to use self-loading shotguns and many rural property owners and professional shooters were permitted to use self- loading rifles and shotguns.

5. In Australia, handguns have only been available to bona-fide members of approved pistol clubs and to gun collectors. None of the changes to gun laws made in recent decades have affected the availability of handguns. Non-self-loading long-guns are readily available to Australians who are at least 18 years of age, have no police record and who pass a simple shooters licence test. As Australian gun laws have become stricter in the 1990's gun deaths have lowered; never-the-less, several serious weaknesses remain within the Australian gun law system. Too many Australians still die from gun wounds. Interested readers should have a look at our [books] on Australian gun laws.

• seahart
    seahart

My wife and I recently applied for our concealed permits. On many nights she closes her store alone, in industrial part of the city. One night she noticed a suspicious car in the parking lot. She called the police , they responded 15 min. after the car left. The police left noting the make and model. She called me while she was locking up about 25 min. later. As she is talking to me and walking to her truck, the car shows up and drives to the back of the parking lot backs in. She gets into her truck and as she is leaving the parking lot the person pulls out behind her and follows her to the freeway, doesn't follow her any farther. That night one of the cars in the lot near where they had backed in had the wheels stolen.

She had not carried her gun that night. A lot can happen in the time the call to the police is made and when they show. I don't think she was a target. I think they where casing the place. She now caries regularly and leaves with at least one other person. Nothing may ever happen. We hope it doesn't. But things like what happened at V.T. and then N.A.S.A. do happen. AND IT"S NOT THE FAULT OF THE GUN!!!!

There are two things that I say when gun control becomes an "issue"

1. "An armed society is a polite society."

2. This is a modified version of the pro-abortion bumper sticker. "Don't want a GUN, Don't buy one!"

S.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I might even get to speak to ya' on the phone someday. That would be cool!

Laters,

LDB

That would be just way toooo kewl!! I'm in training the first two weeks, then watch out!!!!!!

shelley

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I have personally not used my gun in self defense. The times I really needed one I didn't have one.

Here's a website with some experiences of those who acted in self defense...a web search will pull up many more.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/f-58.html

• heathen
    heathen
    I sometimes wonder if we've somehow managed to turn off the natural (or what I always assumed was natural) instinct to do what is best for our children and grandchildren. Ten years is not really that long of a time.

I find this mentality nauseating , like you are now speaking for your children and grandchildren who won't appreciate the freedom and right to own a gun for self preservation or sport . I think preserving freedom is more important than the illusion that you are doing the world a favor by taking freedom away from everybody.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

While we're waiting for examples of someone successfully defending themselves with a gun, let's enjoy this blast from the recent past:

Updated: 3:58 p.m. PT Sept 8, 2006

PORTLAND, Ore. - A nurse returning from work discovered an intruder armed with a hammer in her home and strangled him with her bare hands, police said.

Susan Kuhnhausen, 51, ran to a neighbor’s house after the confrontation Wednesday night. Police found the body of Edward Dalton Haffey, 59, a convicted felon with a long police record.

Officer Katherine Kent said homicide detectives have determined that Kuhnhausen killed Haffey in self-defense. She said a prosecutor is investigating but that the case is not expected to go to a grand jury.

Police said there was no obvious sign of forced entry at the house when Kuhnhausen, an emergency room nurse at Providence Portland Medical Center, got home from work shortly after 6 p.m.

Under Oregon law people can use reasonable deadly force when defending themselves against an intruder or burglar in their homes. Kuhnhausen was treated and released for minor injuries at Providence.

Haffey, about 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds, had convictions including conspiracy to commit aggravated murder, robbery, drug charges and possession of burglary tools. Neighbors said Kuhnhausen’s size — 5-foot-7 and 260 pounds — may have given her an advantage.

“Everyone that I’ve talked to says ’Hurray for Susan,’ said neighbor Annie Warnock, who called 911. “You didn’t need to calm her. She’s an emergency room nurse. She’s used to dealing with crisis.”

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

And that could only be topped by the followup:

Husband of nurse who strangled intruder charged with attempted murder

06:56 PM PDT on Friday, September 15, 2006

By ANNE M. PETERSON, Associated Press Writer

When Susan Kuhnhausen returned home from work earlier this month, she encountered an intruder wielding a claw hammer. After a struggle, the 51-year-old nurse fended off her attacker by strangling him to death with her bare hands.

Police photo

Michael J. Kuhnhausen

Neighbors praised the woman for her bravery. Investigators initially said they believed the dead man -- Edward Dalton Haffey -- was burglarizing Kuhnhausen's home.

But after an investigation, police say the intruder Kuhnhausen strangled was apparently a hit man hired by her estranged husband -- Michael James Kuhnhausen Sr. -- to kill her.

The 58-year-old husband was taken into custody on Thursday, charged with conspiracy to commit murder and attempted murder, and ordered held on $500,000 bail.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit