Gun control logic

by Gregor 174 Replies latest social current

• Gregor
    Gregor

The V Tech shooter bought his guns legally. Gun control laws don't stop this kind of determined killer anywhere in the world. The defenseless victims couldn't carry a gun legally on campus if they had one. The shooter used easily concealed handguns and carried a backpack. IF ONE STUDENT OR TEACHER HAD A GUN THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD A CHANCE TO SAVE MANY LIVES. This situation plays out over and over. Honest people are not allowed personal protection, killers are not stopped by laws.

• Brother Apostate
  • aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I agree.

I have done a 180 on gun control laws, while a dub, I was against guns. But after leaving I have had a change of heart on many things, guns are one of them.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

you are wrong, your logic is bullshit.

if he was unable to buy guns legally with a simple 10 minute background check then 33 people would still be alive today. What is more important, your "right" to bear arms or the rights of 32 kids not to be killed by some nutjob?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    if he was unable to buy guns legally with a simple 10 minute background check then 33 people would still be alive today. What is more important, your "right" to bear arms or the rights of 32 kids not to be killed by some nutjob?

Bullshit! Criminals dont obey the laws!

A person who is OK with killing random people, would have no problems with illigally obtaining a gun.

While the rest of us law abiders would stand there with empty hands as we got gunned down.

• KW13
    KW13

personally i think the less guns floating around the better.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"A person who is OK with killing random people, would have no problems with illigally obtaining a gun."

And for some odd reason, you and your ilk seem determined to keep it that way.

• DJK
    DJK

Americans do have the right to bear arms. Regardless of your stance on the issue, the Constitution prohibits infringment of that right. We are unable to change that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

In my other post - following the news on CNN, they reported that this guy was on a student visa and from South Korea. Another report today says that he moved from South Korea to the USA years ago and was a permanent resident. Another report says the 2 guns were bought legally - one at a pawn shop and the other at a gun shop but that the serial numbers were filed off. Here's the last report on it - what kind of background check is it that they do so you can buy a gun a month? What questions do they ask on the background check? Just curious...sammieswife.

Law enforcement officials have described finding a purchase receipt for at least one of the guns used in the assault [127] and note that permanent residents in Virginia may legally purchase firearms with proof of residency; [128] in addition, federal law requires a criminal background check for handgun purchases from licensed firearms dealers. Virginia has a one handgun per month policy. The shooter apparently waited one month after buying his .22 caliber before he bought his second gun, a Glock 19. [129]

Virginia Tech has a policy forbidding unauthorized possession or storage of firearms on campus, even by state licensed concealed weapons permit holders. This policy has been challenged in recent years. In April of 2005, a student licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia to carry concealed weapons was discovered possessing a concealed firearm in class. While no criminal charges were filed, it is unknown whether disciplinary action was taken by the school for violating Tech policy due to student confidentiality. University spokesman Larry Hincker, in response to challenges over the authority of the university to enforce such a policy, said "We think we have the right to adhere to and enforce that policy because, in the end, we think it's a common-sense policy for the protection of students, staff and faculty as well as guests and visitors." [130]

Virginia bill HB 1572, intended to prohibit public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit … from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun" was introduced into the Virginia House of Representatives by delegate Todd Gilbert. The university opposed the bill, which died in subcommittee in January of 2006. Spokesman Larry Hincker responded "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus." [131]

Prior to the shootings, Bradford B. Wiles, a graduate student at Virginia Tech, published an editorial in 2006 in the Roanoke Times calling for a change in Virginia Tech's policy prohibiting the carrying of licensed firearms. [132]

• JeffT
    JeffT
    if he was unable to buy guns legally with a simple 10 minute background check then 33 people would still be alive today.

Except that they did a background check and he passed it. He has no criminal convictions, there was no legal reason not to sell him a firearm.

Edited to add: A background check isn't about what questions they ask. You need to prove who you are I believe Cho produced three pieces of ID, I know he had a Virginia drivers license and a passport, the third was probably a green card or student ID. Those would have established his identity and that he was here legally. A query is sent via computer to a data base to check his criminal history. If he has none, there is no legal impediment to his owning a gun. Felons can't own guns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit