CAN PEOPLE BUY STOCK IN THE WATCHTOWER SOCIETY?

by anewme 14 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

I was pondering why on earth anyone would volunteer their time and life away to an organization that makes religious pamphlets? Then it occurred to me that perhaps they have purchased shares in the Watchtower Society! They work for seemingly nothing but make money as the Watchtower organization grows. Their private bank accounts are linked with the success of the religious organization.
    What do you think?

Anewme

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I don't know that they float on the stock market - I dont think registered charitable organisations are permitted to do that. However they do invest in the stock market (which is a form of gambling is it not and a disfellowshippable offence) and have invested in the tobacco company Philip Morris or so I have heard (tobacco usage being another disfellowshippable offence).

• zagor
    zagor

And wouldn't be fun if Vatican bought majority of shares?

• Zico
    Zico

The WT Society is a non-profit Organisation, it's shareholders make no money from the Organisation. If they did, it would cease to be a Charity and have to pay tax. I don't think you can purchase the shares, I think they give them to spiritual dubs.

However they do invest in the stock market (which is a form of gambling is it not and a disfellowshippable offence)

Investing in the stock market can get you disfellowshipped? I never knew that... They have also invested in that military organisation RandCam.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Zico - I dont know if you can get dfed for investing in the stockmarket as such but you can get dfed for gambling. I was told I couldnt even do bingo in French at school as i would have to go before a committee!

• Clam
    Clam

Even if it were possible to invest in the Watchtower Society, I wouldn't, as I try to purchase only "ethical stocks".

• anewme
    anewme

Religious orgs dont sell shares of their org to their members? They accept "contributions" and they loan out money for property and building purchases. But do they require interest on those loans payable over time?
    They buy property and they sell it, therefore making money. They accept estates and properties as contributions. So who actually controls the money the Watchtower Society makes?
    I read somewhere here that they have achieved the one billion mark in savings and assets.

• zagor
    zagor

but to answer your question, no, workers there don't have any more share in the watchtower corporation than do workers in Asian sweatshops have share in Adidas or Nike.

• Balsam
    Balsam

What do you bet the WTS has off shore bank accounts so no country they are in can touch their big money? The are listed as non-profit religious organization, but like all of them they have their secret stashes that are not made public and the jiggle the books to keep it hid.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Sure........................I'll sell you some.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit