Watchtower increases pace of accelerated change

by truthseeker 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Courtesy of Dozy's thread - I know it was well debated, but because I missed it -

Par 5 in full: Should we manifest a dignified appearance only when attending the programme? Remember that many will observe us wearing our convention badges while in the convention city. Our appearance should make us stand out from the general public. Therefore , even during leisure time , such as when going out to eat after the programme , we should dress as befits ministers who are in the city for the purpose of attending a Christian convention , and should not wear such clothing as jeans , shorts, or T-shirts. What a witness this will give to the community! Jehovah is pleased when our appearance bespeaks our role as ministers.

What a witness? They will think that they are a bunch of nutters! ordering a hamburger in their business suit, that they have worn all day..

BTW I used to hate the annual "What to do at the Assembly" item at the Service Meeting. It was usually assigned to me as the Secretary cum Convention CoOrdinator. I started doing them kind of 'tongue in cheek' but that did not go down well with some..

PS - If they think that Jehovah really thinks like that - I say that they don't know him at all.

• NanaR
    NanaR

"The long held teaching that 1935 is the cutoff date for selection and gathering of the anointed has gone the way of the 1914 Generation change in a convenient "Questions from Readers" article."

I completely missed this one. Can someone post a link or reference?

NanaR

• PEC
    PEC

"So what am I supposed to do? Leave my tools at the lobby door, go up to my room, change into my dress clothes, go back down to the lobby, take the tools across the street, then go back up to my room, change back into my work clothes, and then finish the job?" He said: "Yes." I asked him if this was Scriptural, and he said: "No, but it's what we are expected to do."

I just realized, JWS are all insane.

Philip

• Honesty
    Honesty
    "So what am I supposed to do? Leave my tools at the lobby door, go up to my room, change into my dress clothes, go back down to the lobby, take the tools across the street, then go back up to my room, change back into my work clothes, and then finish the job?" He said: "Yes." I asked him if this was Scriptural, and he said: "No, but it's what we are expected to do."

I would have done.

And... Taped a Watchtower and AWAKE! on the rear of the wetvac just in case some worldly person recognised Truth when they saw it.

Gotta keep those placements up.

• horrible life
    horrible life
    First, they announce that there will be two editions of the Watchtower - a private edition for members only with only the study articles in and a public edition with no articles

My first thought made me smile. They are trying to keep the Watchtower out of Blondie's hand. They fear her weekly summarys!!!

I then went to the kitchen for another cup of coffee, and it hit me. WHY??? Really WHY??? The scientologists just a couple of weeks ago, asked some foreign country, (Sweden?, Denmark? whatever) to stop making one of their books available to the public. They are a closed religion. You can't find out some of their secrets, until you are really into it.

Are the Witnesses going this way? What kind of things are they keeping close to the vest?

It's easy enough to start this conversion now, why wait until 2008? So there will be only 1 issue of the Watchtower each month to sell. Will this cut down on sales? Has the 1 issue of the Awake changed sales?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I agree that the 1935 change is a big one, but hardly unexpected, what with most of the anointed now alive not even born in 1935. They had to do something. The 1935 teaching was an embarrasment, with 8500 still partaking in 2007!

The change to two WT's is a money decision, similar I think to going to one Awake! a month. Printing one issue just for the active JWs cuts out mucho millions of copies a month, for a considerable cash savings. It also keeps some of the wackier JW teachings out of the public eye. Not that the public really cares all that much.

Witnesses have long been encouraged to wear their dress clothes and name badges after the convention sessions. This is nothing new, just perhaps stated a little more forcefully. Some will do what they're asked, a lot will go and change as usual.

No, I don't think there's any indication of "accelerated change." Just a little more of the usual - trying to save money, save face, boss the rank and file, and cover their asses over those partaking and all the new, young Governing Body members.

S4

• Highlander
    Highlander

Now that I'm out of the j-dub world, I do take notice when changes are made. While I was in, I didn't much care or even notice when something changed, I guess I was more concerned

about just being 'in the club' and trying to chase after the carrot of salvation. We may be seeing an increase of changes the last year or so, but in the long run I think the amount

of changes made are fairly consistent.

• sspo
    sspo
    Does this kind of stuff happen on a semi-regular basis, and I was too indoctrinated to
    notice the problem? OR is this year big- as far as big changes goes?

YOU were too indoctrinated to notice the problem?

You were too busy as an elder and viewed the GB as "gods" and tried to obey and enforce the rules.

I did the same for 31 years and why didn't i see it before?

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I remember as a kid going to the district conventions getting out of our stuffy dress clothes was one of the first things we did once we got back to the hotel room.

After sitting in 90+ degree heat for 8 hours I'm sure rank rank and file will give a fine witness at the restaraunts, pit stains and all.

• moshe
    moshe

The WT society could possibly ousource their printing of their once-a-month WT and Awake to an ouside printer now. It wouldn't be a logistics problem to even have a printer in a 3rd world country do the work. That would let them get rid of more Bethelites and sell more real estate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit