Did the heavenly calling cease in 1935? Not anymore!

by AnnOMaly 288 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moshe
    moshe

I emailed some snippets of this topic a few days ago to an arrogant JW who challenged me on a newspaper forum I had posted to. He has been emailing me back and forth with cut and paste WT stuff to support his beliefs for 3 weeks now, but very little comment in the 1st person. Well, this topic has been met with total silence. Maybe he hasn't gotten his May1 WT yet and doesn't trust the photocopy. I feel like perhaps many JW's will be in a state of shock about these changes once the full ramifications sink in. All this time they have been going door-to-door telling people their only hope is live on a Paradise Earth under the direction of the WT Society and now the veracity of this good-news WT message has been severely shaken.

• Quandary
    Quandary

bttt

• whereami
    whereami

I think we might be jumping the gun on this one. Spoke to some people inside Bethal & no one is really going crazy over this. All are saying that none of this is really new. As of yet no shockwaves are being felt over at the castle.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree that the article in itself does not effect a major change. However what may seem a small tweak to the overall system at the moment may set in motion questions for the future that just might bring about more significant changes. If there is a noticeable bump in the numbers partaking then that may call into question the literal 144 000 stance, and that in turn may open a whole load of other issues to do with the authority and structure of the organisation.

On the other hand, if the number partaking does not go up, or if they conspire to conceal the fact they are going up by no longer publishing the figures, then it might pass without great moment.

Slim

• undercover
    undercover
    Spoke to some people inside Bethal & no one is really going crazy over this.

That's kinda like asking followers of the People's Temple what they thought about the Kool-Aid.

Most of the JWs didn't blink an eye over the change in the generation teaching either.

What happens is that the WTS keeps making subtle changes over time, but as that time goes by, whole doctrines changes. Not at once, but bit by bit, so slowly that most average, non-thinking JWs don't even notice it.

• jeanV
    jeanV

just got the mag. Too early to hear any comments. I pointed out to someone that we will have to change the revelation book again. He had the reaction I would expect (the same way I would have reacted a few years ago), well summarised by the last few posts.

• Gayle
    Gayle

In the early 70's, it was very clear at Bethel that Knorr was not impressed with ones claiming to be FDS/partakers,,he clearly stated that just because they claimed to be FDS/anointed that it would be understood that they weren't just going to come up to his office and be friends. Knorr was the clearly the "pope" then.

• minimus
    minimus

I asked my mom yesterday if anyone has commented about 1935 yet. She said no one has gotten their WT. yet.

• Arthur
    Arthur

bttt

• Arthur
    Arthur

Personally, I don't see this "new light" as something that will cause any significant stir among the devout. I no longer believe that the "Faithful Slave" doctrine is the most powerful doctrine in the JW mindset. I truly believe that the most powerful and persuasive JW doctrine is the "New Light" doctrine.

Remember what the mantra is of this religion: "Adjustments, Refinements, and ProgressiveUnderstanding". The very fact that such "adjustments" take place is the very rationale for believing that the organization receives "progressive spiritual light". If the organization had taught a consistent set of doctrines throughout it's history; many would have classified this as "stagnant", perhaps even becomming bored. Change adds variety, stimulation, and a form of excitement in the minds of JWs.

Most Witnesses have not been in the organization for more than 20 to 30 years. They have no memory or context of the vast number of flip-flops that have occurred throughout the organization's history. Through their surface knowledge of the organizational history, they only know that "Jehovah's organization has progressed forward" and continues to do so.

If an entire house gets remodeled all at once, the changes is striking, obvious, and readily noticeable. However, if a house is remodeled only one square foot at a time over a period of a century; the changes are too gradual to notice - that is unless someone has "before and after" photos.

I believe that it is only those in the ex-Witness community who have the diligence to do the digging and research which gives them an accurate "before and after" glimpse into the organization's changes. Those who have only been in the organization 20 to 30 years do not fully comprehend the significance of such incremental changes within the context of their short period of time in the organization.

I guess I have grown cynical over that state of affairs in the Watchtower Organization. I don't believe that rationality, logic, and intellectual honesty matter to most people in the organizaton. The only thing that matters to devout JWs is faith in the organization, obedience and compliance. This organization is ideologically driven; not factually driven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit