Just finished The God Delusion

by Qcmbr 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Satanus - of course not - Mormons can't read unless its on gold.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Once I knew Dawkins made a couple of references to JWs and WTS publications, I was determined to find them!

Yes Scully - he is particularly sardonic/sarcastic/scathing about the 1985 Creation book. He says he has been sent about 6 copies

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I would argue very strongly for the complete separation of state and religion with an emphasis on cleaning religion out of education after reading this book. As someone born into religion its very easy to sail through school insulated to the results of school based RE but now I think back to my teacher coming up with 'proofs' of Jesus (like the testimony of the 12 apostles and their subsequent deaths for the cause - since when was that a proof!!) and teaching the bible stories as fact (there was no room to question the veracity - instead our testing was on our rote learning of the 'facts'.) This is not what I want my children learning at school - as we got older RE became the place we talked about morals and proved just how little we had been prepared by the flood story. RE should stay in Sunday School, morals should move to philosophy classes and the walls of Jericho as a footnote to extra curricular archaeology. It is a slightly less sinister form of the terrorist training schools for kids. I'd even feel quite strongly that the nativity and other religious festivals should cease. Schools promoted by religions should move all denominational teaching to optional classes and remove all symbolism and religious iconography from display. I'd ban the wearing of crosses and burkhas for people below the age of 16. If religions felt persecuted I'd argue that this would make the adult choice and the symbolism far more potent - if wearing a cross became an aspiration for the truly inculcated christian rather than a 5 year olds dog tag then surely it regains meaning currently cheapened by youthful imposition.

I've already discussed these basic ideas with my seven year old - also at christmas I persuaded my wife to explain Santa - and I endeavour to give as balanced a view as possible when she asks me questions - if she chooses to be LDS I want it to be because she chose it while in possession of sufficient facts to make a choice though of course I'll be biased - I'm not seeking the impossible - but I will be honest - I won't talk her through mountain meadows/ racial history / polygamy etc..(I doubt they'd be the 'stumbling blocks' that an adult would face - she just wouldn't be fazed I suspect) but I will teach her to find out facts for herself, answer her queries, ensure she knows that I'm not infalliable, help her to have courage in her choices and the strength to face the consequences. I'll also make sure she knows I love her no matter what she makes of her life and that only if she becomes a JW will I disown her (just kidding:P) If she becomes LDS after that she'll be far more committed than I'd have made her by brainwashing and hopefully more empowered and happy for it.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I would argue very strongly for the complete separation of state and religion with an emphasis on cleaning religion out of education after reading this book.

further to this sound point, i would argue very strongly for the complete understanding that state *is* religion.

schools are the places where children learn some interesting facts about our world from text books, but are mostly taught by the administration how to obediently mindlessly toe the line in relation to the largest religion of them all.

tetra

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I would suggest that anyone interested in reading the book and want's something to warm them up to it to watch "The root of all Evil" which was Dawkin's documentary on Britain's channel 4. I'd almost call it the God Delusion in two hours as many of the points he discusses in the book he also brings out in the documentary. I've provided the links below.

Downloads:
    Part 1 (315 MB mp4 format)
    Part 2 (318 MB mp4 format)

Live Stream:
    Parts one and Two (scroll down for second video)

Kwin

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

THE END OF FAITH by Sam Harris is the best! Everyone should read it. I'm going to get Dawkins' book soon.

Re: The End of Faith- Don't forget to read the supplemental notes in the back. Many gems to be had. Especially his notes for page 217. Reminded me of how the society tries to squeeze some of the most absurd meanings from Scripture.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I started reading the God Delusion, and got distracted............great do far.

purps

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

In addition to "Unearthing the Bible" some might be interested in "It Ain't Necessarily So: Investigating the Truth of the Biblical Past" by Matthew Sturgis ISBN 0 7472 4510 X.

Some might find the works of Bishop John Shelby Spong to their liking.

Doug

• Clam
    Clam

I've only read River out of Eden and The Blind Watchmaker by Dawkins. I think I might read The Dawkins Delusion before the God Delusion, even though the former is supposed to be a weak retort.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit