Just finished The God Delusion

by Qcmbr 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• atypical
    atypical

I absolutely loved The End of Faith, and I am looking forward to reading The God Delusion. I watched some of Richard's video on Youtube that goes with the book, and it was really good. I especially loved it when Ted Haggard loses it and acts like an idiot.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

In my opinion, The God Delusion is Dawkins best book. He would disagree Dawkins himself is most proud of The Extended Phenotype

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

interesting Q! good for you for exposing yourself to more angles.

cheers,

tetra

• trevor
    trevor

I have purchased The God Delusion book and it sits proudly on my coffee table as a warning to devout friends that I am armed and ready.

Alas! I have not yet read it. It is such a large book and I keep putting it off.

I am encouraged by your remarks and must find time to take the plunge.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Trevor - don't wait too long..there have been a handful of books in my life that I would credit with giving me aaahaa moments and this one had quite a few.

• done4good
    done4good

I've said it here before, but I too highly recommend The God Delusion. Read it with an open mind. Dawkins is about 90-95% right, I found I disagreed with him on maybe only one or two key points. Misquoting Jesus, I would also highly recommend. This book explains how the textual criticism process works, and is very revealing about where and when much of what we presently call the bible came from.

j

• done4good
    done4good

Zeroday, those recommendations seem worth looking into, thanks.

j

• Satanus
    Satanus

Do mormons look to their own sacred books as more reliable than the bible?

S

• Scully
    Scully

Trevor,

Don't be daunted! It is well worth sinking your teeth into the reading of The God Delusion. It took me the better part of two months to get it read, and I had to put it down a couple of times because it had me a bit overwhelmed at times, but I just kept plugging away at it and finally finished it by the end of January.

Once I knew Dawkins made a couple of references to JWs and WTS publications, I was determined to find them!

Cheers, Scully

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

it's interesting, and dawkins and others would probably disagree, but i see pretty much all of dawkins books doing the same job that the god delusion did, just in different ways. the god delusion is right there in your face philosophically about the concept. but the selfish gene and blind watchmaker (among others) still gave me other reasons to give up the delusion of the abrahamic deity without ever getting into the abrahamic deity per se.

i mean, if we are nothing other than the expression of our genes, it doesn't leave much room for Yohoba.

computo ergo sum? it would seem so, although, at this point, my genes can go screw themselves. ha ha! it's great being a modern human.

tetra

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit