Just finished The God Delusion

by Qcmbr 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

..and found myself agreeing with 95% of what he said. Well who would have thought. I would recommend everyone should read this.

• badboy
    badboy

Haven't read it personally

• zeroday
    zeroday

Welcome to the Dark Side...

If you liked that book you might want to check out "Who wrote the Bible" by Richard Friedman also "The Christ Conspiracy, the greatest story ever sold" by Acharya S and "The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man" by Robert Price.

• badboy
    badboy

WHAT ARE THOSE BOOKS,ZERODAY

• zeroday
    zeroday
    WHAT ARE THOSE BOOKS,ZERODAY

The entire Christian faith is ofcourse based on the Bible. "Who wrote the Bible" looks into who wrote the bible actually the first 5 books. It is widely accepted that Moses wrote the first 5 books which is pretty much the bases for the entire Bible. Bible scholars for centuries have questioned the authorship of the first 5 books and Richard Friedman does an excellent job of uncovering the mystery of who wrote them. "The Christ Conspiracy" discusses how the character of Jesus mirrored the lives of earlier savior-gods Krishna and Horus. "The Incredible" looks into the myth of Jesus.

• frogit
    frogit

I agree

Everyone should read this book and it should be read by children too, too many people accept that god exists, and never question it. This book is an eye opener. I no longer believe in a “Tea Pot” flying around the solar system anymore, nor should you or anyone.

Well worth reading not easy in parts, and then read other books on evolution like: The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins.

frogit

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I've so far read Misquoting Jesus, When Jesus Became God, Lost Christianities, Lost Scriptures and they are all very revealing about the core of the NT. I've got a very healthy skepticism about the NT. oo and one book I got from the library - can't remember its title something about the bible as literary construct rather than factual retelling - I remember its particularly telling section regarding the nativity story.

• Dansk
    Dansk

I've read The God Delusion and it further convinced me evolution is a fact. Another great book is The Bible Unearthed. Debunks through archaeology Biblical fables.

Ian

• bavman
    bavman

I really enjoyed reading "The God Delusion" and also "Letters to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris. I agreed with much of both of the books however I don't agree with the assesment they make that all religion should go. That moderate and liberal religion allows conservative fundamentalism to exists. I find that too simplistic and actually I get the impression they haven't spent very much time really delving into spirtuality themselves. Dawkins certainly does a wonderful job of explaining biological evolution and I love his books for that however I find him to go too far to one extreme in blasting all religion.

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

I got the God Delusion on CD--pretty cool hearing Dawkins and his wife's reading of it. I think I pretty much agreed with him across the board, except I'm undecided about the issue of all religion being a negative thing. I think he makes good arguments, especially in favor of people not indoctrinating children. But I have no idea how you would prevent that. I had to love the fact that he went after the Society's Creation Book as well.

I tend to get the feeling that Sam Harris is slightly more anti-religion than even Dawkins is. I haven't finished The End of Faith yet, though.

IsaacJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit