OK

by Andy C 64 Replies latest jw friends

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Tetra, paris hilton and mother terresa. At the same time!!! You are a God.

steve

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

what can i say? i am filled wit da holy spirit!

jah one love!

tetra

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd: Your premise could be flawed, even if allegedly basing your supposition about God on the bible. On what basis do you think we should be able to live forever if there is a God? The bible even speaks of a goal of attaining 120 years in good health.

You have a point there, I was still thinking like a dub, and forgot that most people believe that they will go to heaven. And that they were never supposed to live forever. So some of the things I said would only work on someone who believes the JW interpretation of the bible.

So I'm at a loss as to what to say to you, unless you care to tell me what you believe, or why you believe it... I could point out errors in the bible, but if you don't think the bible is infallible that would be meaningless. I could point out areas in which god totally changed his mind about laws, but that would be meaningless depending on what you believe. I could show you times when god made really unloving, unjust or stupid decisions, but if you don't believe that god is all loving, powerfull, just and wise then that would also be meaningless.

Like I said before, I can't debate every possible belief in god, and some are just so darn vauge that there is nothing to be said about them. But the more vauge they are it seems the less reason there is to believe them.

But if I give just one ounce of proof that indicates he doesn't exist, that's still infinitely more than proof than I've ever heard in his favor.

LtCmd.Lore

• Xena
    Xena
    There is a common saying "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence", and I wonder if that runs through people's minds when they talk about the lack of evidence for god?

Might be.

Standing on it's own, it's a pretty fricking silly saying. If you exist, you leave evidence you exist. It really is that simple. Carl Sagan used the term to label "an argument from ignorance". ie., "well, I don't have any evidence He.she.it doesn't exist, so I am firmly convince HeSheIt does exist".

Again you get down to what kind of evidence are you looking for and/or find acceptable. Some might argue that God has left evidence of his existence. Mightn't they?

You can't prove a negative, but you can sure build a mountain of shallow god-talk out of a molehill of mystery. And if your god-talk's got game, you can even get other people to think your idiocy is wisdom, maybe even pay to hear you blather or read your book or kiss your pinky. Foolish things of the world indeed. I don't think I need to list examples.

You can't disprove a negative either. At least not in the case of God...it's just to comprehensive. Call it foolish if ya like, but there it is.

• Xena
    Xena
    Everyone is perfectly entitled to their beliefs, obviously. But is someone is nice only because of god it doen't make them sound either nice or trustworthy. What many religionists need to realise is they are nice ANYWAY, and know perfectly well how to live decently without a rule book or threats.

or the reward of an afterlife dangled in front of their nose like a carrot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit