Being asked for a ride to work:What do you think I should do?

by Midget-Sasquatch 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Wow, thanks for even more great advice guys. I really appreciate all you given me like the experiences, the words of caution (I agree you can't be too trusting nowadays), the humour, and even those two free psych consults. A backbone is now on my xmas list. :)

I'll tell you all how it went today. I figured the sooner the awkard possibility of pissing him off and alienating myself from the rest of the team, the better. I explained to him how its just too out of my way and how it wouldn't even be feasible the times when I need to give my mom a ride to her work. Happens about 8-10 times in a month. We'd be canned in no time that way. Then, I just came out and said I've looked at the city's bus routes and if you can take the number __ bus and be at this drop off by this time, I'd gladly give you a ride. He may have to wait a little on the days I drive my mom but its got an avondale and a lunchbox/coffee shop right by it. He agreed fairly quickly. I think he's just the kind of person who'll try to get as much as they can but will take whatever they can get without any real strong emotions one way or the other.

Overall, I'm very happy with how things went today between me and Shane. Thanks again to everyone.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

If he can take the bus to meet you he can take a bus to work. Forget it. Just be up front and say NO. Don't weasel around it. No reason is necessary. He'll respect you if you are forthcoming about this.

Good luck,

W.Once

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

It is NOT lacking in backbone to do another a favor. Even if the other is not entirely deserving(that we know of) If it doesn't take SasquatchMidget any extra time, and SHE doesn't mind, then there is no reason she shouldn't help her co-worker out. I have done so in the past and it is a good feeling to help someone who needs it. Being kind is not weakness. It is a strength. And if it doesn't work out, she can stop any time. It is a favor and not an obligation. She made that clear in her offer. Good for you. Remember all the safety rules and I am backing you 100%.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Here is what I would do:

Smile breezily and say yes you think that would be okay. "Now I leave at such and such a time and don't want to be late - are you sure you can make it to my house (agreed convenient meeting place en route) for that time?" Then leave the ball in their corner. That way you show clearly you wouldnt even expect that they had the nerve to expect you to get up earlier to pick tnem up and they will probably come back to you and say well actualy its gonna be just as quick/cheap for me to carry on going in the way I do. And you can say well give me your number and if I do happen to be passing your way in future i can give you a call and see if you want a lift.

That way you have been firm and reasonable and not had to say nop outright.They have no valid excuse to bitch about you and get any sympathy from co-workers and you havent had to lose beauty sleep or travel with someone and have to make small talk each morning (which I would find hardest)!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit