Being asked for a ride to work:What do you think I should do?

by Midget-Sasquatch 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I've only started into my second week at this new job. Its in another city, but I live in the end of town thats closest to that other city. From my drive way to the job is less than 25 km. Also I'm not even 2 minutes from the highway entrance ramp, which makes for a sweet hassle free beginning to the commute.

Today, one of my fellow trainees asked me if I could start picking him up on Monday. His ride was in training before us, finishes this Friday and starts the crazy shifts next week. He says he'll pay me gas money but that isn't what I'm bummed about. I asked him where he lived and its on the very opposite end of town. I'm not kidding when I'm saying that it'll make the whole trip about 2.5x to 3x longer for me (time-wise). Not to mention the additional headaches I'll get with dealing with the city traffic which I was happily avoiding. I told him that was quite a ways from where I lived, hoping that he'd at least offer to be picked up by me somewhere a little closer. I mean he'll be comfy cozy waiting at home while i'll have to be getting out much earlier to do him a favour. He said yah you'd have to start out earlier and left it at that. Nothing else.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking he should at least make the effort himself to get up earlier and take the city bus to meet me somewhere closer to me? I can pick him up and drop him off from a couple good stops nearer to me. That way when winter times comes I don't have to start at 5 in the morning to scrape the ice off of all my windows and the windshield, as well as shovelling out the driveway, then trekking across town twice then commuting to work. I wouldn't even ask him for gas money then. Its the added hassles. I mean I don't want to start off having everyone at the job think I'm some kind of prick over this. Am I being a prick? A bit too lazy? Is it wrong for me to ask him to make some effort in getting to me (we have decent bus transport in the city)? Again if he's much closer I'd give him a ride for free.

What do you think I should do?

• Arthur
    Arthur

Yes, give him a ride. Just drive really erratically; rock back and forth in you seat while chanting: "Praise be to Allah". After this brief excursion, he will probably quit asking for any more rides.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I know I'm a sucker when it comes to helping people and I probably would make the sacrifice and put myself out go pick him up and deliver him home everyday.......and I would hate it the whole time!

I mean I don't want to start off having everyone at the job think I'm some kind of prick over this. Am I being a prick?

Not a great way to impress the boss and your work mates eh?

A bit too lazy? Is it wrong for me to ask him to make some effort in getting to me (we have decent bus transport in the city)? Again if he's much closer I'd give him a ride for free.

You're not the lazy one here he is! Ever wonder why you have a car and he doesn't? Don't bother to ask him it doesn't matter really. It's not wrong of you to ask him to make any effort but why do you have to?

OK, like I've said I've been there done that and could write several books on the subject of doing too much for unappreciative people. So now my never to be humble opinion is that you should just tell him point blank that it would be too much trouble for you to give him a ride and to find another way to work besides with you, period! Just tell him this bus don't go that way! toot toot!

I remember one of the questions I was asked on a job interview which struck me as odd was; "do you have reliable transportation to and from work?" I can't help but think that maybe he was asked that since he is coming from so far away. Honestly it's his job to get himself to work not yours. Don't let him or yourself put a guilt trip on ya!

Have a backbone and save yourself a lot of grief! I wish I would have learned this a long time ago.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Just say no. If you did all that extra driving to help him out, you would feel really $#itty, and it would build up. Just say a guiltfree no, and keep the good feeling about how hassle free your commute is.

S

Ps, if the guy takes the bus to your door, that's a different story.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Be honest, tell him why you are hesitating and the deal you would agree to. Don't let him off on the gas issue though, let him pitch in. Good for his soul. If he isn't willing to make an effort, he would be a jerk of a passenger anyway. And encourage him to find a closer place to live/car.

• snarf
    snarf

if he can't get to training then how is he gonna get to work when the hours start? i would tell him that if he can get to your house by (whatever time you need to leave) then you would be happy to give him a lift, but it is def. not your responsibility to drive the opposite way to pick him up, what if he is running late and makes you late? at least if he rode the bus to your house then you would know exactly what time he would show up.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Here's another thing. My wife picks a guy up down the road at 6.30am to get him to work by 7.30. She doesn't start at polytech until 9.00am. Now he pays the half the gas but she has to wait for him if he's late, she can't go shopping or visiting anyone on an impulse and she has to kill time if she finishes early!

Tell this modern day hippy to get the bus :)
    Pete.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

THIS IS WHY GOD INVENTED BUSES.

I am personally pretty damned choosy about why I get up earlier than the crack of dawn!!! An unappreciative whoever in my workspace is not one of them. Just the fact that he said "yeah, you'll have to get up earlier" pisses me off. He should NOT take your graciousness for GRANTED which he is doing and YOU should NOT tell him yes.

*whew* I feel better now.

• tonyend
    tonyend

If this is something temporary for training, then I'd probably give him a ride. On the other hand, if he is expecting a ride after that, I think your suggestion of him coming to you is reasonable. Don't be afraid to ask him what are his intentions for getting to work in the future. It may be that, once training is over and actual work starts, he's intending to buy a car or move closer. Dialog is the key to not harboring any bad feelings in your situation. Perhaps if you know what, if any, his plans are, you may find that you're happy to help for a little while and this would foster good relations at work.

• luna2
    luna2

Do you like this guy (other than the fact that he's a bit of a moocher)? Cuz if you don't, giving him a ride at all is going to be torture on a daily basis. If he's okay and it won't give you an ulcer having to deal with him, then he either meets you at one of those stops you mentioned or he can take a hike. He should also be responsible for paying you gas money. Its a take it or leave it situation. You should not have to get up extra early so that this person doesn't have to. You should not have to go out of your way. You should not have to foot the bill for this guy's transportation to work. Don't let him take advantage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit