Doofus Prince dub. on AI

by ellderwho 27 Replies latest jw friends

• lilybird
    lilybird

Prince has always been a legend in his own mind..but I enjoyed his performance..he's still talented in his own quirky way..but really... I wonder what the Dubs think of him professing to be a JW...

• Mulan
    Mulan

they are really proud of him and even ones who hated him before, suddenly love his music.

We have friends, JW's who still speak to us, who were studied with by the same man that studied with Prince, Larry Graham. I see the wife at Costco where she works, and she keeps me up to date on him. I'm not terribly interested but they sure are. They say he is doing really well, and it's the way he earns his living and no one has a problem with it. According to her, in his home congregation in Minnesota, he does participate.

Last night I noticed his high heels when he danced. They were really high. As for his makeup, I thought it was much less than I used to see him wear, and was probably just stage makeup, like anyone on television would wear.

For the record, I never have liked him or his music. I can tolerate Purple Rain, but it isn't a song I would buy.

• juni
    juni

Blondie - I guess our age is showing! I remember Theresa Graves of "Get Christy Love". She fulfilled her contract minus using a gun in her show. Then she dropped out of show business. She died awhile back I believe of cancer (?).

Doesn't surprise me about the special treatment of celebrities. In the org. it always mattered who you were. If you had money people tend to flock to you or if you had something to offer in the way of special aptitude in some field people were your friend.

Juni

• kazar
    kazar

Blondie, your post is so funny with the picture of Prince and the caption! I am still laughing. Thanks

• jukief
    jukief

Talk about showing your age. Wait until you hear this one. My mom was a teenager in LA back in the 1940s--just converting to the religion. Nelson Eddie, who was a HUGE star back then, started studying and going to meetings at a neighboring congregation. He liked the religion, but he got so disgusted with the way the brothers fawned all over him that he stopped studying. For those of you who have never heard of them, Nelson Eddie and Jeanette McDonald were big matinee idols in the 30s and 40s. My parents loved them, and I grew up listening to their records. :-) http://jukief.blogspot.com/ Alan's parents gave us a cassette tape. On one side it has Fred Franz singing Kingdom Melodies (what a hoot) and on the other side Nelson Eddie singing Kingdom Melodies. Guess who was a better singer? :D

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    Alan's parents gave us a cassette tape. On one side it has Fred Franz singing Kingdom Melodies (what a hoot) and on the other side Nelson Eddie singing Kingdom Melodies. Guess who was a better singer?

wonder what copies of that would sell for on ebay...

• Poztate
    Poztate

I can't really relate to Prince... but Blondie mentioned Teresa Graves and I did remember her well.

Looks like she died with her JW boots on.....

Teresa Graves

Source: "TV Guide Honors Teresa Graves", TV Guide, November 16, 2002, written by Ted Johnson and Janet Weeks

In the working-class neighborhood of South Los Angeles where Teresa Graves lived with her ailing mother, she was known simply as "Tudie," a trim, middle-aged woman of deep religious convictions who mostly kept to herself.

Where she lived most of her life was at the church," says next door neighbor Joyce Jones. "We talked in depth about her religion, but never in depth about anything else."

When Graves, 54, was killed last month in a fire caused by a portable heater in a back room of her house, Jones was both saddened and surprised: She learned from reporters that Tudie had once been a Hollywood star, a beautiful actress with her own TV show and legions of smitten fans. "She never talked about [her career] with me," Jones says. "The only time there was a discussion was with Bill [Willie Graves, Teresa's mother]. She showed me a picture of Teresa with Marvin Gaye. And I said "Oh! and Bill said, 'Yeah, she was in entertainment.' "

To say that Graves was "in entertainment" is an understatement. In 1974, she made television history when she became the first African-American actress to star in her own one-hour drama -- "Get Christie Love!" Her image graced the covers of national magazines (including TV GUIDE)."Teresa was a star; she wasn't just another girl," says Bernie Brillstein, whose business relationship with Graves began in the late 1960s, when she sang with the Doodletown Pipers, whom he managed. "If you look at Whitney Houston today, that's what Teresa looked like.

If you compare her to a performer today, she would be Wayne Brady. She was everything good." Adds executive producer George Schlatter, who hired Graves to wiggle and giggle alongside Goldie Hawn as a regular on Rowan and Martin's "Laugh-In" in 1969: "She sang, she danced, she was funny; She was just a magic, magic girl." After Graves left the series the next year, she performed in nightclubs, toured Vietnam with Bob Hope and appeared opposite David Niven in the horror-movie send-up "Old Dracula."

Her experiences helped her win the role of martial-arts master Christie Love in a 1974 TV-movie (Love's catchphrase was "You're under arrest, sugar"). The movie was so successful that ABC turned it into a series that same year. But by the time "Get Christie Love!" premiered, Graves's involvement with the Jehovah's Witness religion had changed her life.

Executive producer David Wolper remembers that Graves came to his office and gave him a list of what she would no longer do as Love, including knock off bad guys or sexually entice men. "She was a' superhip policewoman. But you can't shoot anyone, kill anyone. Can't have relationships with anybody, any violence. You can't do a police show based on that." Producers tried to accommodate her, but the series was dropped after one season.

Brillstein says Graves decided to get out of show business a few months after "Get Christie Love!" ended. "I wished her good luck", he says. "I was heartbroken because I hated to see her throw away what I thought she had. But she obviously found something bigger and better." That was her faith, a devotion to "the Creator" that Graves told TV Guide in 1974 was her all consuming passion. "Jehovah is first," she said. "My job is second."

In 1977 two years later she began working as a minister, she wrote in an issue of the Jehovah's Witness publication Awake! that "I'm convinced that heeding the counsel of God's Word is the best way to live." She remained out of the public eye, although she showed up several years ago at a party thrown for Wolper for his 50th year in show business. "She was a terrific, terrific gal " Wolper recalls.

Some 600 people attended Graves's memorial service in Los Angeles on October 16, including brothers A.D. and Mannie Graves, and myriad nieces and nephews Also in attendance were "Laugh-In" costars Ruth Buzzi, Gary Owens and Henry Gibson. They heard minister Glenford Harris describe Graves as a "warm, giving and dedicated person" Why did she give up such a lucrative career? She gave it up because she loved the truth."

Brillstein says he will always remember "the girl whose laugh could make a hundred people feel good. She was happy, and that's all you can ask for in life. How many of us can say the same thing?"

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    Prince has always been a legend in his own mind..but I enjoyed his performance..he's still talented in his own quirky way..but really... I wonder what the Dubs think of him professing to be a JW...

In ' 84 shortley after I joined the Navy which in turn severed me from the Org. Purple Rain movie and sound track was the biggest thing going on. If there was anything that competed at all with Michael Jackson (male performer) that person had to have something special. The JW irony makes me chuckle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit