Did you ever go out in Field Service on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning

by pratt1 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• pratt1
    pratt1

I never had a problem with going door to door except for the holidays.

One, I felt like we were intruding on our neighbors who set aside time be with their loved ones.

Two, it just made me feel more different and jealous that I was not celebrating the holidays with my family.

Any thoughts?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Of course, and it always sucked too. Coffee anyone?

• blondie
    blondie

Only when I was a pioneer and desperate for time.

Thanksgiving day: Householder looked out the window and walked away. I went home.

Christmas Day: Householder screamed at me that I wasn't a Christian. I went home.

Never go out on New Years Day even in the afternoon. I'd rather tease a Rottweiler than wake up a person recovering from a fun night.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I went out on Thanksgiving one time; dont know what possessed me to do so; and like IP_SEC said, it sucked.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hell no.

• ackack
    ackack

I remember once I had to go to the hall to do some mag sorting on Christmas day. There were a bunch doing phone work downstairs and I went to say hello.

I was just in "plain clothes" but they convinced me to participate, so I did (2 pioneer elders + 1 pioneer elder wife)

Well, we get this really angry family, and the pioneer wife terminates the call. Lo and behold, they call back, and they GAVE IT TO ME! AGG!

So eventually I passed it over to one of the elders, and they kept goign on about Jesus being our leader in response to "Who is your manager? I want to talk to your supervisor!". But the angry family honestly thought we were selling some videos I think.

I would never do it again... my dad goes out every Christmas. He must enjoy the angry people.

ackack

• Plummet
    Plummet

One Year we had the CO Visiting During Christmas and we were expected to go out in service on Christmas day. He told us "Don't worry, your not interupting their pagan celebration, they are usualy done opening presents by 9 am. anyway." That really sucked.

However as far as I can remember, the years before and the years after that CO's beating visit, about half of the congregation and neighboring cogregations would go sleding on Christmas and New Years. We would all travel about 70 miles North to private property with a huge hill and sled all morning and usually spent the afternoon soaking at the nearby hot springs. It was so much fun.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Good greif no way! There were always groups set up but I don't think many did. I couldn't interrupt on their holidays. It felt terrible. Instead we sat home on Christmas day feeling the most desperate loneliness. When you know that everyone elses family are getting together and you are not its pretty heartbreaking.

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

I went out one christmas just to see what it was going to be like. I was quite surprised as everyone I met were, initially, very cordial, even somewhat appreciative. I didn't try to wave watchtowers in their faces, all I did was acknowledge that it was christmas morning and I wanted to share a scripture from the bible with them. I read the model prayer to them (I didn't figure they could argue with that) and asked their opinion of it. Most people just said that they had heard it before and started giving the advanced signs of , "...now get the f*** off my porch." so I said goodbye and left. Nobody yelled, though.

• delilah
    delilah
    Are you kidding me? And REALLY get my head chewed off? NO WAY!! Not me...ever!The holidays were meant for FAMILY, not intruders......besides. I was always with my family on those days....you know...NOT celebrating the holidays...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit