Did you ever go out in Field Service on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning

by pratt1 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Soledad
    Soledad

Never, not that I can remember at all.

My family and a small group of JWs from our congregation went to Brooklyn on Thanksgiving Day once. I can't remember anything about the trip, except for when we went out for lunch to a local diner. I think that was the only highlight of that day.

When I lived in Venezuela, the witnesses there did not even attempt to go out on Christmas Day or New Year's. It was pretty dangerous for one but even so the witnesses there seemed more "in tune" with the holidays; meetings were called off during those 2 weeks and no one was marked or criticized for going to a party with non-JW relatives. The JWs there were pretty laid back.

• Roddy
    Roddy

I never had a problem with going door to door except for the holidays.

One, I felt like we were intruding on our neighbors who set aside time be with their loved ones.

Two, it just made me feel more different and jealous that I was not celebrating the holidays with my family.

Sure. But that was the pressure you were on by the Society which made you go out and sell magazines and books no matter what. There are no days off for Witnesses. Why should worldy people have any favors?

• divejunkie
    divejunkie

Ditto!!

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Sure. Didn't really have a choice.

Got cussed out, slammed in the face with doors and one lady threw a turkey bone at the sister I was preaching with.

God! I love Thanksgiving!

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Nope. Never did. I refused, I thought it was incredibly rude to bother people on the holidays. Because you always knew you would be a bother those days in particular.. either they were sleeping in, or spending much-anticipated time with their family, or preparing for family dinner later in the day.

GGG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit