What's WRONG with some people (ranting)?!?!

by FreedomFrog 41 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

She thinks she is being a "good witness" and defending Jesus. Doesn't she realize she's not a savior but in the crowd hollering, "Stone her!"?

This is the essence of bigotry.

• Some alien feature makes you scared.
    • You fear the alien thing.
    • You fear people with the alien thing.
    • You convince yourself that "those people" are somehow not completely human. They are certainly nothing like YOU.
    • You attack "those people" for their alien-ness.

A great Canadian thinker and do-er who backed up his thoughts with action is Jean Vanier. His theory of community and belonging helped me to see the whole issue of "us" and "them" in a whole new light.

http://www.experiencedesignernetwork.com/archives/000024.html

Wars won't end until we become a world community.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The only southern bible belt state that has meijer is Kentucky. The rest are midwestern states. Don't think the south is the only place where a bible belt exists. Drive through northern Indiana and you'll find every other radio station is a christian one and look on every block in SW Michigan and you will find Reformed or Christian reformed churches. We call it the northern loop of the so called bible belt. But folks in SW Michigan are generally too polite and mannerly to be that rude. The rudeness sounds more of a southern thing. I'm a southerner living up north and southerners will tend to be more outspoken with strangers.

I always tell people, "Well, my Jesus loves everyone, he doesn't care what they believe."

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2
    A great Canadian thinker

Isn't that an oxymoron?

(Sorry...I couldn't help it...I know ...bad Eyebrow! BAD!!!)

You know, the message didn't bother me, but the delivery. Why don't people realize you are going to get more flies with sugar water than vinegar? Sure, in the Bible Jesus got all riled up and stuff, but he could make water into wine and raise the dead. If you can do that, you are allowed to yell.

• Sam the Man
    Sam the Man

You can do a lot of things in retrospect. 'I should have said this' is a phrase well used in my life. You handled it well. Stupid, uneducated people are the reason why Christianity and other religion is so popular.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    You know, the message didn't bother me, but the delivery. Why don't people realize you are going to get more flies with sugar water than vinegar? Sure, in the Bible Jesus got all riled up and stuff, but he could make water into wine and raise the dead. If you can do that, you are allowed to yell.

Same here, it wasn't the message. I don't have a problem at all with anyone wanting to tell me their beliefs or tell me why they *think* I'm wrong. It's when they get in my face in a threatening way...that I have trouble with. I don't even mind if an eyebrow or two goes up. Just don't cut in front of me, holding up the line and start yelling...that's where the line was crossed. I would have been more than happy to talk with her...until she did that.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

You know, freedomfrog...since she was holding up your meal, it would have been really funny to say : "I'm sorry, yes, I AM a witch, and if you don't let me to the register I will just have to eat YOU instead of this sandwich."

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Just don't cut in front of me, holding up the line and start yelling...that's where the line was crossed. I would have been more than happy to talk with her...until she did that.

She managed to get everyone's mind off the fact that she cut in line. She threw up a little diversion. Going along with the last comment, you could tell someone they should mess with witches. Then finish it all with evil sounding Vincent Price laughter.

• daystar
    daystar
    Then finish it all with evil sounding Vincent Price laughter.

This is all very funny, I'll admit. But seriously, I don't think I'd really recommend adding to any fear a person like that may really be acting from.

I knew a guy some time ago who was a practicing Wiccan. He flaunted it. He stepped toe-to-toe with anyone who challenged him, but with attitude. And he was also very nearly burned at the stake.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Of course, we are only kidding about scaring people. I really do tell them that the jesus I know loves everyone of every beleif or non belief.

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience! I think that the situation was absolutely terrible - it reminds me of getting ganged up on by kids back in grade school. The feelings you go through when cornered and attacked like that are not easy - I think you did as well as you could in responding.

I consider myself a Christian, but I would never attack another person's faith like that. One of my good friends is Wiccan and although she doesn't talk about it much, I wouldn't mind if she did. Frankly, I'm curious.

But my husband is a bit phobic about the whole thing - he was raised by a Bible-thumper and terrified with stories of crazy people worshipping the devil. He hates Halloween in large part due to those old stories that have stayed with him. And he wasn't even raised JW!

So I guess to sum this post up...I'm sorry it happened. Try to shake it off when you can. There will always be people like that woman. I hope that changes one day and that everyone can find their own way without being "burned at the stake" - but humans being human - we're all going to have to deal with prejudice in some form or another during the course of our lives. Which really sucks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit