Are there any writers on here?

by PaulJ 31 Replies latest social entertainment

• jgnat
    jgnat

Excellent writer, hill, thanks. An excellent writer who collects rejection letters as a hobby! LOL. I have yet to find my market.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Another GREAT BOOK, "The Courage to Write" by Ralph Keyes. By the tenth page, I was so terrified I had to put the book down for a few days. The writer had nailed me! Then I picked it up again, and I was so glad I did.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Hi

I have written some non-fiction. What propelled me forward was grad school, where you have to write reams and reams of stuff whether you feel like it or not (and whether you have something to say or not, LOL). I learned to discipline myself.

There is a book called The Elements of Style which has the basics, but is well worth a review.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Oldflame, how did you get your songs published?

• That Nate Guy
    That Nate Guy

Hi Paul

I've read the responses to your query, now I'll add my own four cents worth. It's great to keep a daily journal or diary, but if you really want to "be all you can be" as a writer, you need instruction. Writing is like any other skill, it takes practice and it's best to have some experienced teachers. I installed carpet for a living in my early twenties, and I wouldn't recommend people learn to install carpet simply buy buying the necessary tools and "gettting out there and installing carpet." You may indeed stumble upon some basics, but you will remain stunted in your skill, and no one will ever hire you to install carpet.

Writing is no different. We are all born with varying degrees of natural aptitude/talent, but those who work hard and get the proper instruction are going to outshine those who do not. Please feel free to email me examples of your writing at [email protected].

If there is a college or university near you, enroll in a beginners writing course. If there is no college or university near you, there are most likely adult education courses being held at a local high school. If not, there are some excellent schools and courses online. The University of Phoenix offers some online courses, but they're a bit pricey. There are other online schools that offer a variety of courses tailored to your specific interests. Do a Google search for online writing courses. www.winghill.com is one such school, and their courses are quite good. Their Comprehensive Writing course will teach you to write for many dfferent markets. Check out many such schools and find one that resonates with you.

If you cannot afford any courses, then continue to do as you're doing and use books as a guide. However, you also need to be an avid reader to be a good writer. READ. A LOT. Don't limit yourself to a specific genre, rather read books of all kinds and pay close attention to what you're reading. You can get an instinctive feel for writing by paying close attention to character and plot development, dialogue, and other basics.

Finally, don't listen to defeatists who tell you that making a living as a writer is unlikely. On the contrary, if you learn to diversify and for many markets, such as magazines and newspapers, as well as television and commercials, you can make a good living as a writer. Those who limit themselves to one type of writing will have a far more difficult time of it than someone who becomes versatile. So, become versatile! You just about guarantee yourself a decent living if you do this. You may not become wealthy (though you may, who am I to say?), but you can indeed make a good living.

Again, feel free to email me anytime.
    Nate

• poppers
    poppers

"I want to write bad." You just did! Sorry, couldn't help myself. Follow your bliss.

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

I'm not so much writing right now, except papers for school. When I graduate, though, watch out. I keep a blog going so I don't get out of practice. My husband writes for music magazines. Continue with the writing classes. And if you ever want to get a job writing, get a degree. My husband learned the hard way: ten years writing experience counts for little with no degree to back you up.

Ever try the NaNoWriMo, where you write a novel in a month? It's one of my plans after I graduate and have the time to focus.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I write many scientific articles

• Ianone
  • Seeker4
    Seeker4

I'm a professional writer. I freelance, co-edit a weekly newspaper for which I write, edit and photograph at least 100 articles and news releases every week, and I'm a contributing editor to a major magazine in my state, for which I do a major article for every month, along with photos. I'll have the cover photo on the upcoming issue. I've also published short stories and write a good deal of fiction.

I didn't commit to becoming a writer until I was about 40, though I wanted to be a writer and journalist from the time I was 12. Once I decided, it took me about two weeks to find a weekly paper to write for, and from there I moved on to one of the best daily papers in my state, and three years ago became assistant editor at one of the largest weekly papers in the state, and just over a year ago, I became co-editor.

If you want to be a writer, love words and love stories. Love reading. Be a stickler for accurate spelling and use of the language, unlike many of your responders here.

Write me

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit