Are there any writers on here?

by PaulJ 31 Replies latest social entertainment

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Ok, I work in a dull 9-5 job that is busy but quite boring. I guess by being a JW in the past I've been encouraged all along to be settled, work to get by. My focus was supposed to be serving Jehovah and nothing else. So, in the past I've just let my dreams go. For example, I wanted to play soccer professionally but i gave the opportunity up when i got baptised.

Now I've always had a deep interest in english literature, reading etc. I loved English lessons at school too. Now I feel a real passion towards writing, something I've had for a while but I've never had the time to do anything about it. I finished a book I was reading recently and decided there and then I want to write. I want to write bad. I'd love to make a living out of it, but I dont care really I just feel passionate about it. Because of these feelings I dont want this dream to fizzle out like the others.

I've started a creative writing course book and am absolutely engrossed. I cant remember feeling as exited about a hobby in such a long time.

I just wanted to know if there are any writers on here, and if you can give me any advice- anything you think is relevant.

Thanks in advance!

PaulJ

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Bryan is. I'm sure he's got some good advice.

I'm there with you...I love writing as well.

• Jordan
    Jordan

Er, I've got a friend who writes some amazing short stories, I'll try and get her to come on here (She's a JW on the edge of the Org herself). If you're after constructive criticism, check out http://www.writing.com there used to be alot of writers on there that gave constructive criticism. Used to be a member myself, along time ago, before I realised I actually have no talent for writing. Good luck following your dreams dude...

• oldflame
    oldflame

I am a published poet and a song writer, I don't have much for advice other than going with what your heart feels when you write. Good luck

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

bttt

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I remember when I was a teenager and for a "career" dreamed of being a "freelance writer". I thought I would pioneer in the morning and then come home and write.

I actually have been working on a novel on my spare time the past several years, but I still have not finished the research/preparation stage (as I'm fictionalizing the life of an actual person who lived 150 years ago).

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I have a satire/parody web site at http://TheBentinel.com There will be a book coming out this fall ("any day now" -- it's like waiting for freaking Armageddon!) containing some of the stories from the site. I don't know what advice I could offer since I don't do it very well. I tend to write off the cuff with little prep work. No or little plot, no character descriptions. I wind up forming all that as I go, which paints me into corners. (That's why I started writing SHORT satire articles!)

Fairchild is also a writer, she has a book or two out. Hopefully she'll chime in soon.

Dave

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Im still at the stage where i dont know what to write. I did an exercise recently that got me to write stuff as i thought it and that was exiting because so much of the things I came out with suprised me.

I've always liked the idea of comedy as I've written a number of sketches, or maybe childrens books, but i honestly dont know.... discovering what im good at writing about is a curious path but Im just enjoying the walk.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I did an exercise recently that got me to write stuff as i thought it and that was exiting because so much of the things I came out with suprised me.

Can you describe the exercise in more detail, it sounds very interesting!

I do my best writing when I am telling a story from the perspective of a single character. It's fun because I get to put on that person's head and see through his or her eyes. It's also a good way to tell how bad I am at it, since I always find myself in the character, showing that I never really got into them properly.

BTW, "best writing" means stuff I enjoyed writing at the time, and probably like reading later. It doesn't mean anybody else will like it! :-(

Dave

• Bryan
    Bryan

Hello Paul,

Two things every writer says and is told and is beat into his head.....

1. Writers write! And you must keep doing it. When you are not working on what you consider a "project", write in a daily journal.

If while doing the dishes, you are cosmically fed a great ending for a story, put down the dishrag and write it. You may not use it for 20 years, but you will have it and it will feed your soul!

2. Write what you know! Don't go out and write the book "Lesbien Diaries" unless you're a lesbien!

Three fantastic books that really taught me a lot and gave me motivation are:

The Writer's Journey, Second Edition : Mythic Structure for Writers
    by Christopher Vogler

Story: Substance, Structure, Style and The Principles of Screenwriting
    by Robert McKee

Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity
    by Julia Cameron

Hope this helps and PM me anytime.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

Share this

Google+
Pinterest