creationism in the us of a

by googlemagoogle 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• doogie
    doogie

how quickly this excellent thread devolved...

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Okay, Tetra stood in for the Funky-one. If that is the issue, then I am all for teaching evolution in the science class and mums the word on God, no problem there.

Here's my question then, is there any place in the science class, or should it be in some other class, or should it be taught at all, that is origins of everything/cosmology. And if it is taught/discussed, does God get mentioned then?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    And if it is taught/discussed, does God get mentioned then?

I think this is a better idea, but I'd still personally be against it, and for most of the same reasons. Which god do you mention?

Would it also be considered a good idea to mention god's opinion in a sex education class?

Dave

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

An informative topic for the curriculum would be: Origins of God

steve

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Steve,

Does it sound a whole lot more convincing to say, the universe always just, was?

Dave,

Mention them all, lump them together I guess, but it seems that if you are going to talk origins something would have to be said.

Mention God in sex ed, hmm, no, but do we mention morality, or just tell the kids get it on as much as you can as long as you wear a condom?

• Terry
    Terry

I work at a bookstore in the Religion and Philosophy section and I can tell you first hand how many books and other publications POUR OUT of the presses of the creationists and Intelligent Design propagandists who have enlisted the aid of professional scientists to persuade those who wish to be persuaded that only Gawd can make a tree.

I've got so many of these books crammed on the shelves I hardly have room for anything else.

Oh, and the HOMESCHOOL "science" texts are completely saturated with this stuff too.

T.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i think there are already many classes that deal with these subjects. origins that involve different gods, should be in theology or even philosophy. the argument from design is not testable, so i am fine with it being moved to philosophy or theology.

but hey, i tell you what. as soon as there is some confirmed evidence for the existence of god, and then subsequent evidence that he actually played a part in creation, then they can move it all back into the science class. because then we would know what we are talking about, and not just guessing. that goes for biochemistry and cosmology classes too.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

terry, that's pretty sad, i must say.

who have enlisted the aid of professional scientists

i find that usually they are like professors of civil engineering or something completely unrelated to biology.

i mean, does the church get richard dawkins to weigh in on their doctrine? no. so why should civil engineers weigh in on biology? it's absurd.

TS

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

TS,

That makes sense, that's where I was thinking the idea of God as an origin should go for the most, though I might go so far as to at least mention it in a cosmology class with advice to sign up for a philosophy class for further study.

As Columbo used to say, just one more question, I understand your hardline on testable items belonging in science clase, or in this case a cosmology class. The question: are the Big Bang theory, Steady State, or any other of the current origins theories testable in the way that you mean it?

• FairMind
    FairMind

There was an excellent post several days back on DNA being intelligently written code. In fact it was likened to a language. Snowflakes in all of their beauty do not carry instruction that results in the type of replication DNA does. While I sincerely believe in creation and have seen ample (to me at least) proof of it, I still can't prove it. Those who believe in evolution do so with "faith in their belief". However, there is an abundance of educated opinions and evidence that evolution is not a fact.

I for one do not think that this thread has degraded. It is refreshing to hear all sides of what truly is a matter of opinion. Am I angry with those who ignore God in support of the theory of evolution? No, and I hope they are not angry with me. I am merely a simple man who has a hard time believing that a complex universe with amazingly complex life forms and ecological systems came, not only from nothing but also without Intelligent Design!

Who created God? Well, ultimately there has to be a first cause and maybe (surprise of surprises) God is it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit