creationism in the us of a

by googlemagoogle 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

just read in the newspaper that some 54% of americans favor creationism and diss darwin.

i know, never trust a stat you haven't faked yourself, but... is creationism (especially YEC) really that wide spread in the us?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

yes, much to the consternation of the rest of the educated 1st world countries.

it's an off shoot of xian fundamentalism, this arrogance.

arrogant? yes. the idea that we are special creation is arrogant, and does not help in dangerous situations like ecology and war, to name a couple.

it's sad. the schools are now taking away children's tools for critical thought in biology (and therefore ecology). this is worse than just teaching lies. it's the intellectual wastage of a generation that had potential, but are now just the laughing stock of other countries who are blazing ahead with the bio-revolution.

ts

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

one thing i don't understand: what do they want to teach in school when talking about creationism? the bible? it's not all xians over there, is it?

what about hindu or voodoo creation stories? what about native american creation stories? they won't teach children that turtles and snakes made humans, will they?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

You remember the WTS book Life: How did it get here? By Evolution or Creation?

Similar books are being published by evangelicals here BY THE BOATLOAD.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There's a guy running for local school board here who just told the local press that ID should be taught in the schools. In particular, he said that "the students should understand the ideas and theories and evidence that supports [ID], just as they should understand the ideas and theories and evidence that support evolution". Now, I live in very educated community (filled with professors from a major university), and the neighborhood is quite socially liberal to begin with, so Mr. Candidate's comments did not fly all that well. After a flurry of complaint letters to the editor, the school board candidate issued a CORRECTION, clarifying that he did believe that ID was not science and did not really have evidence supporting it (as he said previously), only that he thought it would be edifying to "teach the controversy". I doubt many people here are buying his explanation.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Kinda weird, since they don't actually talk about it. It's not like it's a topic of conversation. Then one day it sort of does come up and you find that this intelligent, articulate, educated person actually believes that an Adam and an Eve are at the head of their family line.

Scary, since you know the implications of such a belief, as pointed out by earlier posters.

Dave

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Don't assume that all people who lean towards intelligent, purposeful design are also Christians. Don't assume that all people, who lean towards intelligent design, believe the Adam and Even story. Don't assume that we all believe the Bible to be some infallible book authored by one angry jeolous god. Don't assume that we are all out trying to force intelligent design into school curriculims. Don't assume that we think intelligent design has to mean that the Bible god is the designer. And please don't give into condescension. It's not pretty when Christians do it. It's no more palatable when evolutionists do it.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

but what exactly would a teacher tell in school? i mean... ID is about "poof, everything's here", or is there more connected to it?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    but what exactly would a teacher tell in school? i mean... ID is about "poof, everything's here", or is there more connected to it?

How about, some people believe life evolved and this is why. Some people believe there is an intelligent designer(s) and this is why. I believe it would be harmful to teach children that only christians, muslims and jews believe intelligent design as the origin of man. Finally these children need to be given the opportunity to form their own views on how they got here.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Don't assume that all people who lean towards intelligent, purposeful design are also Christians. Don't assume that all people, who lean towards intelligent design, believe the Adam and Even story. Don't assume that we all believe the Bible to be some infallible book authored by one angry jeolous god. Don't assume that we are all out trying to force intelligent design into school curriculims. Don't assume that we think intelligent design has to mean that the Bible god is the designer. And please don't give into condescension. It's not pretty when Christians do it. It's no more palatable when evolutionists do it.

FHN, beautiful, I might frame it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit