40 things you might not know

by Soledad 16 Replies latest social humour

• startingover
    startingover

The Lucci Diller thing caught my eye and I googled it. I first just read Lucci's biography and it mentioned nothing of a Diller connection. Then I typed in Lucci Diller and got the link to Snopes.

Daystar,

I'm finding what you state to be true and I suppose if a person keeps doing that eventually no one will share anything with them. I know my wife never shares anything about the JW's with me, I wonder why?

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

LOL @ Daystar, hey don't you know that "faith" is a dirty word around here?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Claim:Actress Susan Lucci is the daughter of comedienne Phyllis Diller.

Origins: Rumors that some well-known actor or actress is really the child of an equally prominent but unlikely parent have long been a feature of the motion picture industry. Indeed, wild tales about the questionable ancestry of famous people are found all throughout history. Whereas historical examples of this phenomenon were often attempts to discredit the subject (frequently a political figure) by associating him with someone despised by the public, the "movie star" rumors are generally little more than entertainment concocted to amuse by associating a star with a "parent" who is the opposite in appearance or personality.

Phyllis DillerSusan Lucci

So, in this case we have the beautiful Susan Lucci, who has played supervixen Erica Kane on TV's "All My Children" for nearly thirty years posited as the daughter of wacky comedienne Phyllis Diller, known for her trademark frazzled hair and facelift jokes. What better amusing contrast than one between a glamorous soap opera actress and a comedienne known for her self-deprecating jokes about her decidedly unglamorous appearance?

Although their ages don't preclude their being mother and daughter, Phyllis Diller and Susan Lucci are not related. Phyllis Driver was born in Ohio in 1917 and married Sherwood Diller in 1939; they had five children together before divorcing in 1965, none of whom was Susan Lucci (who was born in New York in 1946).

A somewhat more plausible rumor suggested that Susan Lucci was the sister of Robin Strasser, an actress who starred on TV's "One Life to Live" playing Dorian Lord, a "character you love to hate role" similar to Lucci's Erica Kane. (Strasser also portrayed Christina Karras on "All My Children" with Lucci for a time.) This "two actresses playing similar roles at the same time are related" rumor is equally spurious.

Last updated: 18 March 2000

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/lucci.htm http://www.soapcentral.com/amc/news/991224-luccidiller.php http://www.who2.com/susanlucci.html http://www.answers.com/topic/susan-lucci

Unfortunately there are things listed her that aren't true. I have embarrassed myself too many times passing things like this around without checking them out first. So, now I check them 8 ways from Sunday. Just to set the record straight on a few of these:

- According to the Heinz website - The Heinz 57 Varieties slogan is synonymous with the name "Heinz." Our corporate history tells us that in 1896, Henry John Heinz noticed an advertisement for "21 styles of shoes." He decided that his own products were not styles, but varieties. Although there were many more than 57 foods in production at the time, because the numbers "5" and "7" held a special significance for him and his wife, he adopted the slogan "57 Varieties." Thus, a new advertising campaign was launched for Heinz 57 Varieties — and the rest is history! www.heinz.com

According to our own government at www.archives.gov, it was parchment. Seems that the guys trying to push hemp started this rumor to somehow make their case more easily accepted by linking it to this historical document.

Susan Lucci is the daughter of Phyllis Diller - totally false - Although their ages don't preclude their being mother and daughter, Phyllis Diller and Susan Lucci are not related. Phyllis Driver was born in Ohio in 1917 and married Sherwood Diller in 1939; they had five children together before divorcing in 1965, none of whom was Susan Lucci (who was born in New York in 1946). from urbanlegends.com

8. A duck's quack doesn't echo ... no one knows why - According to Salford University Acoustic Audio and Visual Department, this is a much quoted myth. The reason - a ducks quack is long and only the end can be heard.

7UP's red dot came from the inventors red eyes. According to 7UP's consumer support at 1-800-696-5891, this is totally not true. It was simply a marketing design.

The 12 newborn one - another Urban Legend designed to strike fear into people.

There are NO fish scales in lipstick - total urban legend.

Etc, etc., etc. If you run down this entire list you will find that 95% are urban legends.
    One is definatly true - Kerry's wife is the heir to the Heinz fortune. She's from Mozambique, went to college at University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, then to Interpreter's school in Switzerland, and had never been to the United States before her 1966 marriage to John "57 Varieties" Heinz, who would go on to become a Republican senator from Pennsylvania. They had three sons before Heinz's death in a plane crash over a Philadelphia schoolyard in 1991. A hothouse African orchid transplanted into steely western Pennsylvania, Teresa inherited the Heinz fortune and a year after her husband's death bonded with Kerry at an environmental conference in Rio. They were married three years later."

Like I said, I always check these things out before passing them on. There are far too many urban legends out there.
    http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=101

• 4nick8
    4nick8

syringe rhymes with orange esp. if your from the East Coast.

Tracy

• aniron
    aniron
    2. The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottle represents the varieties of

pickles the company once had.

According to Heinz the number 57 was chosen because the founder of the firm like the sound of "Heinz 57 Varieties" they have never had 57 varieties of anything.

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

There is also nothing unique about a ducks quack.

• under74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit