New JW relationship

by dougpotts 33 Replies latest social relationships

• M.J.
    M.J.
    Blood Transfussions- they sometimes talk about subdevides being acceptable- not whole blood.Is there a substitute available for them which makes the subject a non entity or is it really a case of life or death if you need a blood transfusion. How can a person kill his wife or children in the name of a simple paragraph in the bible which only talks about eating blood when you place it in context of the other reading in the parapgraph or does it usually not come to that.Is the spouse that unimportant to them when placed against the impotance of their faith.

There is some new technology which is essentially a hemoglobin transfusion without the red blood cells (which are the body's package for hemoglobin delivery). As you may know, RBCs are on the banned list, but hemoglobin, as a fraction of RBCs, are on the "concience matter" list (even though hemoglobin constitutes 97% of the RBC and is the whole "point" of a RBC). There are two fairly new products--one derives the hemoglobin from cow's blood and the other from human blood. These products are a "conscience matter" for JWs--but have not been used extensively since they are new on the scene, are limited in availability, and very expensive. Plus JWs are very typically not aware of them. These products address the issue of blood loss when oxygen delivery becomes the most immediate concern. Yes, the issue very often leads to life/death situations. Many die each year over this. My wife was expected to die herself. As Old Soul mentioned, this issue is seen as one with eternal implications. This life can be sacrificed when one has a view of eternity. Much the way a suicide bomber thinks, I suppose.

Maybe I should not be saying this but it does occur to me that the member of that church is entirlely acting with extreme selfish selfmotives - although a massive amount of church work is done, very little is heard of helping their fellowman eg voluntary work.Its all theretical biblical study. Their interest seems to be their own salvation and interest and ensuring the church expands nothing more. Similary with the problem with blood transfusions their interest lies in ensuring they conform to their faith and by implication their own salvation, as seen by their faith, of themselves rather than helping their family member survive. Maybe my thinking is distorted in some way.

Yes, everything is done with a view of the BIG reward--eternity in "paradise". It's the big carrot held out by the organization to motivate the R&F. They do not engage in charity work because they feel that they only are bound to helping their own. To outsiders, the only "charity" worth any real substance is to preach to them.

• dougpotts
    dougpotts

Thanks for latest replies.

I wonder if carla can tell me where I can get "an update" thread you talked about.

I also did quite realise until now the massive attraction of eternal life in paradise was to the JW. Its not really something thought about much in my church or by myself. It now starts to make sence the JW willingness to throw away there present life in context of blood transfusions if they are of a mind that eternal life is present in the next and just round the corner. It never really thought about it in that context.Its still a massive bet they are taking.

Being a down to earth scot I think I would rather choose to fully enjoy this one as long as I can than bet on some individual trying to tell me there is a better one just round the corner and the present one can be thrown away. Wonder if that guy can be taken to world court of justice if the dream does not turn into reality and the poor individual has blown his present life with nothing to follow.

To oldsoul - your right when you talk about me mixing up faith and religeon. I take your rebuke with respect and agree with your thinking. Although I am not a very religeous person, I do have a faith as a christian and respect of the 12 comandments which I adhere to. Religeon is a narrow definition whereby human groups conform to their own ideas of the laws of god. Faith is all encompasing.Hope I get the point.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Doug,

There was no rebuke intended, but you summed up my point beautifully.

Religeon is a narrow definition whereby human groups conform to their own ideas of the laws of god. Faith is all encompasing.

Nicely done.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• jgnat
    jgnat

Her is "An Update" thread from MM

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/99997/1.ashx

She had high hopes at the beginning of turning her boyfriend away from the Witnesses. She was smart, she was strong, but the pull of the society was stronger.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/20/85665/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/92787/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit