JW GrandMother Files Federal Lawsuit Against School

by West70 11 Replies latest jw friends

• West70
    West70

A JW GrandMother has filed a lawsuit against a California School claiming that her grandson was forced to recite the Pledge Of Allegiance and forced to articipate in Holiday activities.

Interestingly, this JW also complains that she personally was prohibited from "witnessing" to other schoolchildren from the WatchTower Society's "Book of Bible Stories":

Woman claims grandson faced discrimination

By SUSAN HERENDEENBEE STAFF WRITER

A South San Francisco woman with no legal training is taking on Modesto City Schools in federal court and she is making some headway with a discrimination complaint.

Eon Walden, who is black and an ordained Jehovah's Witness minister, contends that she and her grandson were subjected to racial and religious discrimination at Sonoma Elementary School.

One of her chief complaints involves a Thanksgiving activity. Another involves the daily pledge of allegiance, a practice to which members of Walden's faith object.

Attorney Michael Woods of Fresno, who represents the district, said Walden does not have facts to back up her claims. "This case is absolutely without merit," he said.

Walden, who is raising her grandson and representing herself in court, did not return calls seeking comment.

In her lawsuit, Walden said she had to move to a more racially tolerant environment to provide her grandson, a special education student, with an appropriate education.

She is seeking an unspecified amount of money to punish the district and compensate her for emotional distress.

U.S. District Court Judge Robert E. Coyle said on Sept. 6 that Walden can proceed on four of her 13 claims.

In a written order, the judge said Walden must articulate some of her arguments more clearly by Oct. 24. He noted that people who represent themselves are given more leeway than attorneys.

The judge said Walden lacked proof to go forward with a racial profiling claim. And he rejected other allegations slander, defamation and negligence because they were not filed on time.

In California, people have six months to file claims against a government agency. If the agency rejects the claim, they have six months to file a lawsuit.

Walden filed her lawsuit in December, nine months after the district rejected her claim.

The judge said claims based on federal law may go forward.

In her lawsuit, Walden said she asked a fourth-grade teacher to exempt her grandson from nationalistic and holiday activities, because she objects to them on religious grounds.

She said the child was nevertheless required to color a Thanksgiving turkey and instructed to deliver the picture to the principal, but not tell his grandmother about the activity.

She also contends that the child was forced to recite the pledge of allegiance, over her objections.

Walden claims that the district violated her grandson's First Amendment right to religious freedom.

In his ruling, the judge said there may be some question over the Thanksgiving picture, but that schools cannot require students to participate in the pledge.

Other claims by Walden involve two incidents on the east Modesto school playground, according to court papers.

On March 19, 2002, Walden's grandson was sent home with a discipline slip for pushing. He also got a warning that he would be suspended for five days if he were caught fighting again.

Walden contends that a white student who was mutually responsible for the fight was not punished.

Also according to Walden, on Sept. 25, 2003, an adult yard aide grabbed her grandson by the ear and called him "black boy" as she dragged him across the yard, with other children watching.

Walden contends that the principal informed her that her grandson had been playing with his milk, but said nothing about the yard aide.

The district argued that Walden's claims were too vague to merit a response, but the judge said the allegations were sufficient for litigation to proceed.

The judge rejected Walden's other major claim that the district infringed upon her ability to practice her religion by limiting her access to school grounds. A principal temporarily revoked Walden's visitation privileges after a Nov. 19, 2003, incident, but reinstated them later, with a warning that Walden could not talk to students when she was on campus.

In court papers, Walden argued that she was penalized because she responded when a child asked her to explain an illustration in a book of Bible stories during a lunchtime visit.

She said she was singled out because she is black and practices a nonmainstream religion.

The judge said school officials had a right to regulate Walden's activities on campus.

Bee staff writer Susan Herendeen can be reached at 578-2338 or [email protected].

Posted on 10/11/05 00:00:00

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/11334951p-12082958c.

• West70
    West70

• upside/down
    upside/down
    an ordained Jehovah's Witness minister

I love it when they say this sh*t...

They are so proud of their "status"...even if it is nothing but a vain glorious label...with no meaning.

Greedy hypocritical bitch...so much for relying on Jojoba and not using the "system" to the full...

u/d

• West70
    West70

" ... an ordained Jehovah's Witness minister, ... ."

Someone should suggest to this reporter and the opposing attorney that they contact this "ordained minister's" church so they can go listen to her next Sunday Sermon.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

If, in fact, the child was compelled to recite the pledge the schools is in violation of his rights. There is a ton of case law (including a Supreme court ruling) that back him up.

The law would any Quaker or anyone else who wouldnt want to "pledge" an oath over political ideas.

Grandama will have to prove that the child was in fear or directly threatened if he didnt say the pledge.

Take out the "emotions" the reporter was trying to pander to in the story and its just another day in the office.

~Hill (nothing to see here class)

• West70
    West70

Hillbilly:

My take on this particular JW is that she is a "feces stirrer". Someone who knows her personally could probably relate that this is simply her latest "project" among many previous.

In this day and age, no school official in California is going to intentionally do what she alleges UNLESS they were "peeved off" by the JW to the point that the teacher(s) lost their cool and did such out of retaliation.

Never forget that much of the "persecution" received by JWs in the 1930s and 40s was done out of retaliation after the JWs had repeatedly "asked for it".

• sf
    sf

Walden argued that she was penalized because she responded when a child asked her to explain an illustration in a book of Bible stories during a lunchtime visit.

She needs to realize that she is the adult and take the initiative to make sure the child never speaks to strangers, that includes her.

In order for this unsuspecting child, and most likely, not the way it really went down, to be asking her anything about illustrations, she would have had to be engaging him for this to occur.

What makes the jws think they can just encroach on someones boundaries and just start talking their crap? That seriously irks me... Their audacity. Their expectations of the world they hate so much and can't wait until their mighty god destroys it...kids and all.

They insult our intelligence and that of the world by acting as if they actually give a damn about anyone else but themselves and the golden prize at the end of the yellow brick road.

This woman is a blatant hypocrite and really should just drop this ridiculous WORLDLY lawsuit.

I could say so much more on this subject, yet.

sKally

• West70
    West70

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Yeah right!
    Back in the eighties at our congregation we had a teenage black and white couple.They were still teens and they were shunned for dating.

I asked why they were treated that way.

I was told we were not supposed to do anything to bring reproach upon Jehovah's name or his organization. Since society frowned upon such a union it may keep someone from coming "Into the truth"!

I never could accept that..it was wrong.

Course it didn't help when she got pregnant and they had to get married (which didn't last long).

The witnesses just said "See, told you so". They classed them as rebellious teens.
    (I figured that didn't have anything to do with the racial issue).They were using typical Witness reasoning I guess.

Anyway they told my kids they shouldn't associate with them in public or at school..just at the hall. That makes a lot of sense doesn't it? NOT!

Maybe the school should have sued them for being prejudiced...lol

Snoozy...who believes the witnesses do pick and choose FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT who they will help in time of catastrophe...

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    She said the child was nevertheless required to color a Thanksgiving turkey and instructed to deliver the picture to the principal,

THUD!

That was the sound I made when I fainted!

This poor child will be scarred for life, I tell you!!!! Coloring a turkey---one of God's creatures---is right up there with practicing devil worship! How DARE they subject him to this!

gimmee a break

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit