I wasn't even my choice...should it count?

by findingmyway 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

They should make provisions for people to admit that they skipped the "dedication" step, so that they can be considered the same as people who were never baptized.

Unfortunately, I think they would be even harsher if you used those exact words. I can't think of a specific quote from a publication, but the gist of what I'm thinking is this - they would say that a person who got baptized without actually dedicating themselves committed a grievous sin. I remember when I got baptized, at 17 (still not old enough to know what I was getting in to), and they hammered it in to me that baptism was not something that one entered in to lightly, and would be very bad if I were not doing it out of "the right heart condition". Of course I wasn't sure exactly why I was doing it, I wanted to believe it was my own choice, and did my best to convince myself of that, but in reality I did it because I was 17 and people were starting to wonder what was holding me back. I think it's sick that they even let kids as young as 12 get baptized, I've even known a few people that got baptized at 8. That's just plain wrong.

I think if they were reasonable enough to take what you ask in to consideration then none of us would be in the situation that a lot of us are.

CD

• Joel Wideman
    Joel Wideman

knot4me, it's a hot and steamy love poem. From David to his "friend" Jonathan.

• daystar
    daystar

You may have taken the step out of pressure from family, etc., but it was still your choice. You just were too weak to make the one you knew was the right one. (Before you let this make you mad, we were all weak to have been the the Org. They like it that way.)

We all felt pressure to get baptised early. I watched all my friends get baptised, knowing all along that they were doing all these things behind the elders' backs. I refused to dedicate my life to something I saw so many others treat with such disrespect. I understood the significance, so I never got baptised.

But don't think that they would necessarily have treated you any differently had you just been a publisher and left or was pushed out. I haven't spoken with an active JW in nearly 14 years, other than family.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

They can't offer a baptism annulment. If they did they would lose thousands upon thousands of seemingly faithful Witnesses.

OldSoul

• pratt1
    pratt1

I have heard of people who had their baptism anulled back in the 80's. This happened to a very good friend of mine becaue of his young age.

He was re - baptised when he was about 19.

I don't think they do this anymore.

Alreadygone, I too have not been publicly DAed or DFed so my parents and many friends still stay in contact with me.

They are aware of my views and I disagree with them and their beliefs all the time.

I financially do alot for my parents, so that may have something to do with their communicating so freely with me.

• Balsam
  • Balsam
    Balsam

Hi all you young folks. If you will email me at: [email protected]

I will send you a microsoft Word document that you can use as a legal document for Baptism Nullification. It allows you to sue the congregation if they try to disfellowship you.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Balsam,

You might want to put your email address in there as "maryatajwrb at yahoo.com" so spiders can't collect your address for mailing lists. Just a friendly caution.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Chris, you are right about that. I'm not df'd or da'd and because of the gay thing my parents won't speak to me. My brother (also gay) did da himself so they haven't talked to him in years either.

Sherry

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

I am happy I am baptised as I made a dedication to the true God in my heart and soul, not to the organization. I still feel a loyalty to my promises to God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit