Book study in your home

by pratt1 27 Replies latest jw friends

• lawrence
    lawrence

For two years. People wouldn't leave after coffee, no matter HOW MANY HINTS you dropped. You finally had to hold the door open and encourage people with a firm arm on the shoulder. Then they would come early, didn't listen, didn't care you just got home from work. Dinner? "Yeah, we're hungry." And so you now have a 1/2 hour before the rest of the gang comes, a family for dinner, a shower to take, chairs to set out, a floor to vacuum, and a wife coming home in 5 minutes pissed off, and guess what honey, "we have the Sculedges for dinner." Had to move to change Tuesday nights.

• vitty
    vitty

Unbelievably we allowed it in our house while we went on holiday ,never again.

We were told months late how a brother had walked dog s:::t onto our sitting room carpet because he refused to take his shoes off !!!!

Then they had scrubbed it with ,,,,,,,bleach,,,,,,, and when we came back no one told us how "that" stain had "apppeared"

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

How about when the bookstudy meeting finished at 8 p.m. but there are brothers/sisters that hang around 'til 10:00? And this on a weekday, where the next day kids have to get up early to go to school and others have to go to work. This kind of behavior went on at some of my relatives' homes where there have bookstudy meeting place.

Some time ago, elders told my hubby that if a bookstudy would form in our home perhaps Jehovah's spirit would flow and my attitude would change.

That was the last very heated argument we had in a very long time. I threatened divorce before I allowed that in my house. He told me it was his home too and I told him if he went on with it against my will I'd personally just throw the people out and call the police.

He never mentioned it again. EVER!

DY - Sometimes my spine does become a little strong.

• carla
    carla

A study in the home with a ubm?! I can't believe they would allow that. If he ever insisted again I would suggest, ok it's your home too, I will then be having some Wiccans over for a meeting next week, then some Catholics, Muslims, and so on. After all, it's your house too.

• Mulan
    Mulan

It was in our house when I was growing up.

We had it our own home for about 15 years, when my kids were growing up. There were lots of advantages, like I could put the baby to bed, I didn't have to go out one of those nights during the week. Meeting for service was right here, so I had more time on Saturday mornings, etc.

I hated it that people didn't leave soon enough. Some stayed for over an hour, afterwards, which was incredibly insensitive in my opinion. Children would go into our children's rooms to play, another very rude thing to do. They would ask for something to drink, and even to eat. I would usually give them water, no juice or pop. No food unless it was a "goody night".

I used to beg the elders to PLEASE give a talk about it being a private home, and the other parts of my home were off limits. Finally they did that, and it improved for awhile. There were always people who thought they were the exception, because "we were such good friends".

I don't miss that a bit.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

We had it for years in our home. I liked it because it was one night I didn't have to drag the little ones out and usually managed to put them to bed before it started which was great.

I remember we had a few times when one or another child would go off missing in the bathroom for a long time....nothing in there which could hurt them it was already child proof, but we had four bathrooms two of which were off limits!

I didn't really mind them staying afterwords and I can't remember it ever getting too late, we sometimes would invite our good friends to stay for a drink and a game of pool. Often times we had deserts after and shared who was bringing what, that was fun too.

The only drag was making sure I was home that day to clean the house which took all day and some times I was too tired to even go to the book study! LOL

We never had problems with people snooping but then again I closed off the rooms that I didn't want anyone to go into and always had a room for a the sisters to use to nurse or diaper their children. We had a tri level house and the kids loved to climb up and down the stairs which we didn't allow for safety reasons and the boy children used to love to jump the four tiled steps that went down to the family room, that was one problem rowdy boys! LOL Hey 3 of them were mine!

When it got to be a burden having it there I had it stopped, no biggy and yes most of the time I considered it a privilege to have it there if for no other reason the convience.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    People wouldn't leave after coffee, no matter HOW MANY HINTS you dropped

OMG I didn't think about this at the time but this is how my mother "found" my husband. He came initially to find out what his brother was learning so he could get him out. Well after the book study he would sit there and ask questions. One night he stayed so long he missed the last bus home so had to sleep on the couch. Somewhere in there she thought he might be a good way to get rid of me

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes we did

Advantages and disadvantages

Advantage ------ I was never late!!!!!

• Es
    Es

yeah we had it at our place for years, the good thing bout it was i used to rock up in my slippers and not care bout shoes. But yeah we had to make sure the place was spotless before hand. And kids would touch and play with things.

es

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

We had it in our house for a while when I a little kid. Some memorable things were a teenage guy who would come with his mom every thursday, but we never saw them at the hall. This guy would bring a ventriloquist's dummy with him every time. There was also this nasty spinster of a woman with greasy hair that would without fail fart @ every meeting, much to my delight as a little kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit