Book study in your home

by pratt1 27 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

Did anyone have the book study group meet in your home?

My family had the book study group meeting in our basement and it was such a drag.

Some of the reasons why it sucked.

The house always had to be spotless.

My mom insisted that there was always refreshments available for after the group meeting.

Some dubs used to wander into other parts of the house, including my room.

If I missed the bookstudy because I was sick, some would actually come down to my room to talk.

There were many times when little things would go missing, glasses, magaizines, books, food, you name it.

People would check out my music and books all the time.

I have long since moved out, but mom still has the book study meeting there.

• Scully
    Scully
    The house always had to be spotless.

Guess who had the Privilege™ of doing the house cleaning before and after the Book Study™? moi

My mom insisted that there was always refreshments available for after the group meeting.

I think this was the only reason we used to have such a good turn out for our group. This was back when it wasn't abnormal to have 30 people in a book study group.

Some dubs used to wander into other parts of the house, including my room.

Yep. Been there, done that. When we had the Book Study in our home, my BIL once used the washroom and went through the medicine cabinet to see what kind of birth control Mr Scully and I used.

If I missed the bookstudy because I was sick, some would actually come down to my room to talk.

You must have missed the workshop on How to Make it Sound Like You Are Vomiting When You Are Not. It kept people out of my room like a charm.

There were many times when little things would go missing, glasses, magaizines, books, food, you name it.

Jewelry. From my great grandmother. I knew who did it too, just couldn't prove it.

People would check out my music and books all the time.

I kept all my "non-theocratic" stuff in my underwear drawer under a box that contained feminine hygiene products.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I had the BS in my house, and so did my mom. My BS conductor kept harassing me because he thought I was "materialistic". I got fed up with it and told him that since my alleged materialism was something undesirable, then it was inappropriate for the congregation to benefit from my materialistic ways. I threw the book study out, and piled the chairs on his front porch, blocking the door to his house. I DA'd a few months later. I got rid of the one in my mom's house too.

W

• pratt1
    pratt1

You know all the tricks.

Unfortunately I was a little too young and emotionally retarded at the time to block effectively.

Now that I don't live there, when I visit, I always leave something out in the basement, totally untheocratic so that it can be seen.

Mom gets really upset.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Yup been there and done that

My mother (single parent JW) had the group in her home for a long time despite my brothers always being in trouble with the police

I was the official cleaner-upper

Don't recall anything missing but then we didn't have much either

I do recall people wondering what the strap at the door was used for. My mother was very proud to tell them it was used to beat the kids. (I got my last beating with it when I was 17)

Later after I got married we wound up having the study in our home - home is loose term for tiny bachelor apartment. What were we thinking?

• vitty
    vitty

We had it at our house for about 7 years. At first we thought it was a great priviledge but then reality hits, you have to think about what your going to cook for dinner, no cauilflower or fish.

Then you have to run about getting it spotless, cos yes they will go into every room, then the kids touch and destroy your things and the parents dont care. They destroy your carpets, sofas and anything else they sit on.

Not forgetting FS every saturday, so no way can you get out of it or have a lie in. We asked for a couple of years for it to be moved OUT of our house but no one was stupid enough to have it . Until my husband eventually stood down then it was moved hey presto !!!!!!!!

• Ellie
    Ellie

When I was a little kid we had the bookstudy in our house.

I remember my mum always in a bad mood on a Tuesday after I got home from school, she was stressing trying to get us all fed and the house clean and ready for the group, apart from that it was ok.

• pratt1
    pratt1

Just a question - Is it still considered a priveledge to have the book study in your home - meaning that you and you family must be exlempary?

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

My parents wanted a book study in their house so bad. It never happened. I guess it was considered a priviledge. Even when they were looking for a new place to live they would try to see where they could have the book study. I'm glad it never happened. And knowing my mom now, I'm sure she probably wouldn't want the responsibility.

• blondie
    blondie

Amazingly, in one congregation, based on the experiences above, no one wanted the "privilege" of having the BS in their home. They had 4 groups at the KH, 2 on Monday, 1 on Wednesday, and one during a weekday morning.

I remember hearing of one group that had a "child" turn on the water in the sink and leave it on and then go back down to the study. No one realized what had been done until the water started "falling" down the stairs.

There's always the marbles in medicine cabinet trick.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit