if you love pit bulls or think you might

by kittyeatzjdubs 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

My ex-boyfriend had a dog that was half pit half bassett hound. From the neck up he was pit (ears not cropped) and from the neck down he was bassett. He was ferocious when it came to other dogs, strong as an ox, but was the darn laziest pussycat otherwise. Anytime we'd walk with him, strangers would always look at him and say, "What is that?" LOL!

I loved that dog! I think I missed him more than my ex.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    My ex-boyfriend had a dog that was half pit half bassett hound.

OMG!!!! LMAO!!!! that is so funny! me and matt have a bassett hound as well as a PB. we always wondered what they would look like if you mixed them together. Bassetts are so comical looking to me! I love our Johnny Blaze. he's quite a character.

i'm glad there are other PB luvers here.

luv, jojo

• Alana
    Alana

Your picture and avatar are adorable! I love ALL dogs. There are breeds that I might not choose to have myself for one reason or another, but I love them all. I had a friend with a PB and he was so lovable, but his "wife" and baby got loose and killed a neighbor's dog and a cat. They were forced to put them down, but Zeus was never mean. Let me tell you, I've met some mean poodles in my day, so any breed can be mean. My German Shepard scares people all the time, but he is the biggest marshmallow on earth (and he's white, so he looks like a marshmallow, too! ha ha ha). My nephew used to foster PB's for a local rescue and all but one were truly gentle animals who had been neglected, abused, or just turned away because of media fear. I'm glad to hear of happy PB stories.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    Let me tell you, I've met some mean poodles in my day, so any breed can be mean.

so true. in my first post i mentioned my mom's cocker spaniel. i was about 8 or 9 and i leaned over one day and just hugged it, and the damn thing bit a hole in my cheek! my dad was so pissed (he hated that dog) that he got rid of it the next day.

None of our PB's so much as even growled at us.

luv, jojo

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

I love all dogs.

I personally own a lab.

I had a pit puppy once, was told my home owner's insurance would go up from owning her, so I returned her, at 7 weeks to the breeder. She was really sweet.

• Soledad
    Soledad

kitty your dog is so cute!!!!

** dog lover here **

• avishai
    avishai
    I hear pit bulls are more likely to display dog-dog aggression, as opposed to dog-human aggression

That's because unlike dobermans, shepherds, etc., they were'nt bred to fight people, they were bred to fight other dogs/animals. And NOT bite the person when he took it outta the ring. Most dogs when they are pissed off and in a fight will bite ANYTHING around, pits were bred to specifically not do this.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I suppose pitbulls are alright. I just wish that pits werent used and abused in the poorer black communities - dogfighting. If you watch Animal Cops in Detroit on the Animal Planet Channel you'll see what a huge problem is it. And the sad thing about pitbulls in Detroit is if the SPCA has to go out and get these dogs all the dogs are put down because once they have been used for fighting they cant be rehabilitated. And why is it that most young black guys in the hood want pits? To look tough. nothing better to show what a bada$$ you are than to walk down the street with a huge pit straining against the huge chain that you've got him leashed too. I've seen it, I've seen what pits can do, how they can tear up and really damage a person.

Pitbulls scare me to death. And yeah all the blame should go on the fools who mistreat pitbulls, but I am still scared of them. Not scared of most dogs, just pitbulls and rottwillers.

Josie

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

Josie - I completely understand. I used to watch the Detroit Animal Police, but I had to stop. It broke my heart too much. It always pisses me off when people just use animals as status symbols. If you're getting a pit bull or rotweiller just to make you feel like you have a big d!#k, then go get a pump.

it's a sad thing really b/c if you search around the badrap.org site, you'll find an article where it talks about the most decorated animal in WWI was a PB named Stubby. they used to be america's favorite dog, but a bunch of wanna be macho idiots have ruined that. they get these dogs who naturally adore and love humans, beat them, starve them, chain them in the backyard...just to make them mean. then the poor unstable dog gets loose and bites the 5 year old down the street, and the media's all over it like a pack of rabid dogs.

avishai's right. PB's were never bred to be aggressive towards humans. when pit fighting was legal, any dog that showed human aggressive tendencies was immediately destroyed. they had to be b/c it wasn't their owners in the pit pulling the dogs apart, it was complete strangers. as a responsible owner, i don't and can't deny the fact that, yes, there are aggressive PB's out there. but that's not the dog's fault. that is a result of an irresponsible owner, no socialization, bad training, bad breeding, or all of the above.

no true, well trained PB would ever attack a human.

also, if you plan on getting a PB for a guard dog...forget it. they might scare off the attacker w/ their looks, but they'd never naturally attack. my cousins house was broken into a few years ago while her 2 PB's were home inside. the burglars got away with all of their CD's, stereo equipment, and t.v.

luv, jojo

• avishai
    avishai

This is the bully breed that I like....the bull terrier

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit