Lessons from Art Class - looking and seeing

by jgnat 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

I always wonder what it would be like if the world's 1000 most brilliant people were able to not work and just focus on intellectual pursuits...me included of course, LOL.....The time/energy it takes to make a living distracts from us reaching our full intellectual potentials, IMO.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I have zero artistic talent, but I think I see things differently sometimes - I become very aware that I am doing that. For example when I look at the tree outside, sometimes I see 'just' a tree. Other times I can be acutely aware of the movement of every single leaf. Everything looks so much more alive and intense somehow.

Am I thinking on the right lines here or is it just an altered state of consciousness I go into?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am not so sure that would work, Rebel8, unless "they" find a way to hook up our minds directly. I really believe that language gets in the way. Also, I require daily routine to keep me grounded. I married a man fully immersed in today. He shakes his head as he constantly picks up behind me...keys...bus pass...lunch...bills

Sad Emo, I think I get your meaning, and I have those moments too. I once saw a time-elapse picture of the earth's weather patterns and I had an epiphany. OMG! The earth breathes!

• Balsam
    Balsam

Life is learning to look beyond our current perceptions, Jgnat I love this thread. Did we have to do the same thing to see beyond the WTS perception to the real world around us. Your learning to see physical things in a new way and we all benefit from your experiece. Hard to slow down enough to accomplish that with jobs, living and care for our loved ones.

By the way your granddaughter is just beautiful, know she has your heart tied on her little finger.

Balsam

• rebel8
    rebel8

Charles Darwin lived off his wife's trust fund and accomplished great things for science. Even for those who don't believe in "evolution"....Darwin had many scientific accomplishments we benefit from today. He had a history of having problems with the daily routine though (before the trust fund).....so I guess it depends upon personality....as to whether or not large amounts of unstructured time will result in productivity. Me, I could do just fine w/o a daily routine. My dream is to get just enough $ so I can retire and focus on creative pursuits.

Am I thinking on the right lines here or is it just an altered state of consciousness I go into?

I experience that and I don't feel it's an altered state of consciousness. I think it is just a way of thinking about things....deeply. When I go to art museums I try to get as close to the art as possible so I can see its structure....figure out how each paintstroke played its role in the overall composition. The usual advice is to stand far away so as to see the object as a whole, but I prefer to look at its parts. I do that with other objects as well. I will look at a tree and focus on the textures and tiny details rather than the whole thing.

• under74
    under74

I gotcha........and I also went to art school

Hey your granddaughter looks almost exactly like my neice! GAWWDD...they're sooo cute!

• jgnat
    jgnat

OK, you twisted my arm...here's another picture of Naomi. I would agree, we are both members of the same mutual admiration club, membership two. When we visit we are both on our bestest behaviour because the other's esteem is just too precious to squander.

Rebel8, I am in awe. I respect the art community in Red Deer for the same reason. They live the bohemian life, and the freedom shows. I have no idea how they keep breakfast on the table, though.

• jgnat
    jgnat

In real life, my daughter would interject, "Mom! Talk properly to Naomi! Don't use made-up words. How is she going to learn?" I would shrug my shoulders and roll my eyes dramatically at Naomi. She would shrug in turn, a "Waddya gonna do?" eye-roll. Oh, I hear my daughter's conscience again. "Mom! Waddya is not a word. It is What-are-you and going-to."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit