Lessons from Art Class - looking and seeing

by jgnat 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• damselfly
    damselfly

I getcha jgnat

I see the human body that way, it's not just an arm, I see the muscle and tissue layers and the blood flow, the way the nerves travel etc. I see objects the inanimate objects the same way.

Dams ( Ooooooone is the lonilest number..........)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Words are symbols, not the real thing. Words can only be a pale reflection of reality. When the mind processes these symbols, reality is compromised.

The fastest way for me to explain the different, Legolas, I think, is to take a good art class.

Yes, yes, yes yes Damselfly. Another (shudder) question from newbie artists; "how do I make flesh color?". Skin is marvellously multi-toned from the underlying muscles, veins, blood. There's a greenish cast in spots.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I haven't learnt to look as you have, but I think I can relate somehow.

I would speak of the difference between our "idea" of "things" as a signifiant's signifié (sketches of "a horse," "a rose" or "an apple" conveniently shelved as separate objects-forms in our mind thesaurus and which we call to correct perception and screen ourselves from anything strange -- we know what it is) and the epiphany of actual beings beyond language and imagination.

In Lacanian terms, imaginary vs. real.

In medieval philosophy, universals vs. things -- and my heart goes to the nominalists who maintained that "the horse" only exists as a name, not as a reality (as "realists" held), besides individual horses.

Essential to art is the breaking of the imaginary link: just when a painted horse doesn't look like a horse you begin to see the horse.

An epiphany of the real which poetry can powerfully effect too: La terre est bleue comme une orange ("the earth is blue as an orange") -- Paul Eluard.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Mmmm, narkissos. I bet you say that in a french accent, too.

My granddaughter started a french immersion elementary school this term. "Grandma, grandma, I can say the alpabet in FRENCH. Ah Bay Say Day...iforgetherest."

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

No doubt about the French accent...

Is it your granddaughter on the apple (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/99448/1711488/post.ashx#1711488)?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Naaaw, I found that on the 'net. THIS is my granddaughter. I REALLY need to get a current shot..

• Joel Wideman
    Joel Wideman

I, too, have such an eye. However, my hands lack the finesse required for recreating what I see. So, I write. I also have such an ear. Again, my hands fail me. Luckily, writing requires little manual dexterity. One only needs to see, hear, and speak.

• jgnat
    jgnat

And me, I am no poet.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I do get it, and love that way of looking at things.

*rebel8, of the I've-taken-art-classes-too class*

• jgnat
    jgnat

Just the potential that our world may be more than it looks to be (due to our own mental restrictions) is mindblowing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit