Just blagged my way out of the evening service...

by Sam the Man 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Sam the Man
    Sam the Man

Well an elder had the nerve to tell me that I 'wasnt doing enough' and that I should 'really start' by coming out on the evening service on monday night. 'Yeah, ok mate'.

There is a lie to get out of anything! This time my wife looked shocked. 'Then what am I going to tell Bro *****?' 'Just say it wasn't me'

• TheListener
    TheListener

OOOOOHhhhhhhhh you are in so much trouble.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    I 'wasnt doing enough'

Dubese for "I'm sick of going out in evening service ALL ALONE"...

u/d (of the did plenty and it still wasn't enough class)

• luna2
    luna2

It's never enough. You start going out Monday nights and everybody will be all encouraging and all that rot, but in another month or so, it will be time to up the ante and you'll be pushed to add another day of service to your routine.

I hated going out nights. I joined a group that went out Wednesday evenings a few times. I can't tell you the number of times we interrupted people at dinner. I give those folks a lot of credit too, they were very polite. I don't think I'd be so polite.

• Sam the Man
    Sam the Man

I know what you guys are saying. I could do 30 hours in one week and be sure of survival, but then the next week I could manage about 5 hours and be sure of death. It's crazy. I'm close to telling that elder where to stick it; if she comes back with a sarcastic comment about something he said, then screw it, I will!

• upside/down
    upside/down

Motive....is everything.

u/d

• lawrence
    lawrence

Sam-

Tell the elder that you are too busy getting ready for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Hey, the Day of Atonement is in 10 days - it's crunch time - it's do or die time; this is the big Lent.

As far as evening service, then how about the elder making some food and visiting the homeless on the streets, instead of passing out falsehoods and tales of the criminally insane?

• I quit!
    I quit!

How about telling him this: "No I don't want to. But you go ahead, enjoy yourself. I found out in my early 20s that you really take a lot of pressure off of yourself when you learn to say no.

As far as evening service, then how about the elder making some food and visiting the homeless on the streets, instead of passing out falsehoods and tales of the criminally insane?
    This really cracked me up Lawrence but at the same time it is also it is good advice. If the dubs wanted really do some thing for their fellow man this would be a good start.
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus

I agree with 'I quit!'. What's so hard about just saying no thanks?

• evita
    evita

I hated evening service. People were actually home - Yikes!
    If I were you I would do anything to avoid this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit