Stew meat - room temp - 12 hours - is it safe? Your opinion wanted...

by confusedjw 24 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

So stew meat was taken out last evening at approx 6:30pm and was left out until 7 am. It was laid face down on the metal stove so it thawed fairly quickly, leaving it at room temp for many hours. So at 7am this morning, it was put in the refridgerator and then at 9:30am taken out to be cooked for a stew.

I asked the question "Do you think it's safe?" and the reply was "yes".

I said I would go buy some more and that was met with anger.

What do you think? Was I being "overly cautious" or was there a chance the meat was not safe? Sure the government websites say that red meat shouldn't be at room temp for over 2 hours, but is that practical? What is the "real" time frame for red meat to be at room temp?

Would you serve it to your children?

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

You're okay with it . . .yes, I would serve it to anyone.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

If you stew it no bug will survive that so perfectly OK

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I wouldn't eat it. I wouldn't even feed it to a dog or the local JWs

Great way to get food poisoning

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Lady Lee - how on earth did our ancestors manage?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

They caught the animal, killed it, skinned it and cooked it right away. To store meat long term they cured it. Raw meat just didn't stay around too long.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I'd wash it well with vinegar, then boil the hell outta it. I'd serve it... and eat it. And I am very very picky about bad food. Edited to add: Chicken, fish, hamburger, pork, sausage, or steak? No way, Id' toss it.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Did you hear about the 2 cannibals eating a clown? One says to the other "Does this smell funny to you?".

I think if your meat smells funny then don't use it.

Pope

• damselfly
    damselfly

I've had food poisoning twice, neither was enjoyable. I would toss that in the trash and order Chinese.

Dams

• luna2
    luna2

The USDA says NO

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Big_Thaw/index.asp

I wasn't sure, so I looked it up. I'd always heard that you should defrost stuff in the fridge, guess that's the way to go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit