Stew meat - room temp - 12 hours - is it safe? Your opinion wanted...

by confusedjw 24 Replies latest jw friends

  • OldSoul

    Way I figure it, if you eat and die you probably shouldn't have done. My 2p.


  • confusedjw

    Wow, I wash the sideboard, sink and utensils after handling meat that is uncooked.

    I like to get the meat right back in the refridgerator while still chilled.

    ......but most of you agree with my wife......but out all night ..... warm?!?!?!

    Hank Hill and I don't approve! (and it actually does scare me)

  • gladdy

    Chances are it would be ok, but i had food poisoning once in my life and have never forgot it! SOOOOOOOOO why take a chance. chuck it out..........

  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

    wanna say your goodbyes before you eat?

  • confusedjw

    We didn't eat it. She got mad put it in fridge and tonight cooked it for the dog.

    We have new stew meat, but at this point I'm not sure she wouldn't poison the broth

  • seeitallclearlynow

    I would be uncomfortable with the possible condition of the meat, but if it smelled fine I might cook it.

    I'd be a little more concerned with your evident approaching nervous breakdown. Or are you just a carrier?

  • Mulan

    It was safe.

  • bikerchic

    Poor dog, I hope for your sakes it's an outside pup cuz it's going to have the shits like crazy!

  • Soledad

    Well since it's being used for stew I think it's ok.

    If it were steak meat or ground meat, I would NOT use it.

    Next time defrost in the fridge!

  • FlyingHighNow

    All meat has staph bacteria on it or in it. When it's at room temperature, especially when it is not cooked, for more than two hours, the staph wake up and start to produce toxins. You can't smell or taste them. You can kill staph during cooking, but you cannot cook out the staph toxins. When you eat staph toxins, you usually begin to feel very tired or drowsy within a couple of hours of your meal. Then you end up with stomach cramps and/or vomiting and/or diarreah.

    This can happen with any perishable food. And some people get sick more easily than others. So you may find that not everyone who eats staph toxin tainted food will get sick. Staph toxin poisoning is not usually serious, but it's a pain in the butt, literally.

    I won't mince any words with someone who is mishandling food. I have spent too much time in the hospital with various kinds of food poisoning.

Share this