Honesty is the best policy

by ballistic 25 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have said what I have said, and I am going to leave it at that. I would love to tell the truth 100% of the time but sadly I live in the real world. I am STILL A JW but an EX-ELDER hence stillajwexelder

• chrissy
    chrissy

I'm w. robdar in that people (women in this particular scenario) are not looking for the truth. they are basically looking for your acceptance or buy-in of their predetermined position on the matter.

when women present themselves to you men, asking how they look, it's either because they are feeling less than desirable by societies impossibly high standards, or are just having a crappy day and want some reassurance that even if the rest of the world thinks they are hideous and fat (which if course is usually not the case), you still find us beautiful and totally lovable. so if your SO comes to you and asks if her ass looks fat, (thats fat w. an "f" not a "ph") then duh! everyone knows you better say no, fools.

sure, you can be honest, if you like sleeping on the couch.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Well said chrissy. That I think was the most honest answer to this question so far. Smart lass.

• ballistic
    ballistic

god, I posted this when I was drunk, really sorry about that, but I'm glad a good conversation came out of it. ** hungover class **

• onacruse
    onacruse

stilla, my apology for characterizing you as still being an elder.

On the other points, I guess we'll just have to walk away from this conversation and agree to disagree.

fwiw, I live my life by the principle of total honesty, as I've espoused in this thread. That doesn't make me right or wrong...but, at least I'm consistent! LOL

And, I can finally sleep well at night, knowing that I'm not deliberately obfuscating reality to anyone.

• avishai
    avishai

I think that Robert heinlein said what I want to say in the best possible manner in his quotes on diplomacy.

Moving parts in rubbing contact require lubrication to avoid excessive wear. Honorifics and formal politeness provide lubrication where people rub together. Often the very young, the untraveled, the naive, the unsophisticated deplore these formalities as "empty," "meaningless," or "dishonest," and scorn to use them. No matter how "pure" their motives, they thereby throw sand into machinery that does not work too well at best.

Only a sadistic scoundrel -- or a fool -- tells the bald truth on social occasions.

This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them. Humoring them costs nothing and adds to happiness in a world in which happiness is always in short supply.

A skunk is better company than a person who prides himself on being "frank."

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful -- just stupid.)

Formal courtesy between husband and wife is even more important than it is between strangers.

For me, politeness is a sine qua non of civilization.

Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

These quotes are not directed at any individual, but merely reflect my feelings on diplomacy in society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit