Hi New Here!

by weinermcgee 23 Replies latest jw friends

• weinermcgee
    weinermcgee

Hi folks whats up?

I grew up as a strict JW until my early 20's when an event happened that made me start thinking for myself, thank goodness. What I mean by strict was I think most of you will undertsand that I really believed in what i was doing, baptised at the age of 13, seriously considered bethal, pioneered and was offered to be a ministerial servent. As opposed to those of you who grew up JW but always knew soon as you were 18 you would not be going to any more meetings. I think for those of you who had a simiar experience to this, it was of great mental anguish to be 24ish and suddenly lose everyone (except my mom) you thought you were close to, 24 and having hundreds of so called friends to zero. And not just losing friends but people going out of their way to avoid you, really really hurt. How anyone one can see a positive side of Disfellowshipping or leaving the religion where its basically the same treatment is beyond me.

I'm 30 now and have restarted my life made some REAL friends and am with the most amazing woman I could ever find. I am happy now but I sure wished that while I was going through the rough times I had someone who I could relate to. No one, no matter how understanding they are could possibly know what its like to be raised as a JW unless you went through it yourself. Even now, I wish had someone to talk to once in a while. Hence me joining this forum. But I have to admit I did have a good childhood as brainwashing as it was.

My current feelings are pure hatred for all religions, I believe we aren't the most powerful beings in the universe but no man made religion will ever be a part of my life. Now thats my opinion which I am entitled to. If some of you are happily in a religion then good for you whatever makes you happy. Isn't that what life is about? Finding out what makes us happy and then doing it? It sure isn't wasting my life away studying ever changing opinions on what the bible means and all the silly made up rules around it. Does anyone really believe that facial hair will make me be judged by god in a negitive way? "Ok buddy you got a goatee there, you aren't allowed in paridise." How people can follow this garbage without question in this day and age is crazy.

Anyways I could go on for hours. I am hoping to meet some people who understand my mental anguish, yes I still carry a little bit of it around with me.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Hi, you'll be at home here. Its a like a big cosy bar with occassional brawls / group singing / putting the world to rights and bitchin'. Its good fun and everyone is cool. No one is unwelcome as long as they aren't too dogmatic or rude.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Welcome to the board weinermcgee. Happy to have you here. I joined about a month ago just after I disassociated myself after 25 years as a jw. This forum has been very helpful as a sounding board for the "mental anguish" you talk about. Enjoy!
    And feel free to share whatever you like. We're listening.
    tp

• Sam the Man
    Sam the Man

Hi, welcome! Nice story.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

..nice to meet you.........I understand perfectly. I was a JW for 51 years...raised in it, lived it, breathed it and truly thought every day that I would die in it. I was baptized at 14, pioneered, was an elder and I have to agree with you in that being raised as a witness has a whole host of problems in and of itself for a lot of people. Growing up a witness means not ever seeing a person on the street as having value..unless you are a JW you are nothing. Having no real compassion for anyone or anything outside the society. Shunning non witness family.....the list goes on and on and on. I kick myself for a life wasted because I followed a group of dillusional men who believe they are God while at the same time being forced to reckon with the fact that I'm now in a race to keep my head above water in all ways. I consider myself fortunate that I have come so far so quickly but I too drove myself crazy for a time just wanting someone to share experiences with...

• Joel Wideman
    Joel Wideman

Welcome! :D

• Mulan
    Mulan

Welcome. Hope you enjoy all of us fellow, ex's.

I feel much the same way you do about religion. I wouldn't say I have hatred for them. It just isn't for me. I feel like they are all the same, and I've been there..........done that.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome -I was a died in the wool JW for 25 years. ( guess that made me a sheep in wolfs clothing
    I do agree about religion.... But I still believe in God..... Glad your Mum still talks to you Give her an extra big hug!!!!

mouthy

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

Hi and welcome! You will find alot of comfort here and I think you will also find peace. I encourage you to read everything you can get your hands on. Read all the "best of" posts. Also read Crisis of Conscience and In search of Christian freedom. I am currently reading Gentile times reconsidered and I just finished Combating cult mind control. I know it sounds like alot but these books have really helped me to move on. Oh and also seeing a psychologist for a few months I finally feel free! If you are still having doubts I encourage to educate yourself like myself. You and I are alot the same. Same age and the same philosophies about life. I also had a wonderful JW upbringing that probably helped mold me into a good person. I was never over sheltered like some of my friends in the JW community. I had lots of responsibilities during my JW career. I was literature servant when I was removed. Also loved hall projects and helping during rebuilds after hurricanes hit. My wife and I were very zealous and always in service. Lots of demonstrations and talks. Watchtower reader and bookstudy reader. Always enjoyed these things until I started seeing things that didnt make sence and investigated them. Lived in alot of anguish for 2 years until i finally read so called apostate material. I to lost everyone but my Mom. But I understand stand why im shunned because I used to do the same thing to my friends who went astray. I still love alot of witnesses and simply understand that they are misled. Feel free to email me any time and I will be happy to talk. Once again Welcome!

• Legolas
    Legolas

((((Welcome to the board))))

We are neighbors...I live on P.E.I!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit