Astounding proof of the existence of God!

by AlmostAtheist 24 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

1. The genetic code is not a true code; it is more of a cypher. DNA is a sequence of four different bases (denoted A, C, G, and T) along a backbone. When DNA gets translated to protein, triplets of bases (codons) get converted sequentially to the amino acids that make up the protein, with some codons acting as a "stop" marker. The mapping from codon to amino acid is arbitrary (not completely arbitrary, but close enough for purposes of argument). However, that one mapping step -- from 64 possible codons to 20 amino acids and a stop signal -- is the only arbitrariness in the genetic code. The protein itself is a physical object whose function is determined by its physical properties.

Furthermore, DNA gets used for more than making proteins. Much DNA is transcribed directly to functional RNA. Other DNA acts to regulate genetic processes. The physical properties of the DNA and RNA, not any arbitrary meanings, determine how they act.

An essential property of language is that any word can refer to any object. That is not true in genetics. The genetic code which maps codons to proteins could be changed, but doing so would change the meaning of all sequences that code for proteins, and it could not create arbitrary new meanings for all DNA sequences. Genetics is not true language.
    2. The word frequencies of all natural languages follow a power law (Zipf's Law). DNA does not follow this pattern (Tsonis et al. 1997).
    3. Language, although symbolic, is still material. For a word to have meaning, the link between the word and its meaning has to be recorded somewhere, usually in people's brains, books, and/or computer memories. Without this material manifestation, language cannot work.

See Reference:

1. Tsonis, A. A., J. B. Elsner and P. A. Tsonis, 1997. Is DNA a language? Journal of Theoretical Biology 184: 25-29.
  • Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

There is something deeper going on here when we talk about language. There is the symbolic code which is arbitrary and generally has no intrinsic value (an exception would be sound words such as 'moo' or 'buzz') and there is the concept which is defined by the context in which it is experienced. The concept is generally more stable than the sound used to describe it (snow is still cold water even if its called niege (forgive me if I got my French wrong hehe 15 years old and extremely rusty) and the concept is culturally enforced.

Writing gives added permanance to the tie up between spelling and concept while TV and radio gives stronger resilience to sound and concept tie up. Human language is merely a medium of conveying information and is fairly imprecise but we are smart enough to make up for its inadequacy and normally get the meaning right (when we don't we get arguements / frustration etc..)

DNA passes on information but it is not encumbered by arbitrariness - it is nature's 'assembler'(very basic yes/no style information) whereas human language is nature's 'java' (many ways to say the same thing.) In that aspect human language is much richer and fun (just as programming is more enjoyable in its java form than in assembler - except to real egg heads:) The critical thing about DNA is that our description of it (using letters) is the arbitrary bit while the concept / infomation it is describing is absolutely exact - any unrecoverable mistakes have big repercussions. In many ways DNA is a far better (and more compact) language than human language in terms of passing on information. Now we've learnt to read the letters we are beginning to decode the words and one day we'll have the full syntax and meaning - that's when we'll really start playing god.

• Pole
    Pole

Qcmbr,

::In many ways DNA is a far better (and more compact) language than human language in terms of passing on information.
    Hold on, right there. You're getting carried away dude! ;-) Your comparison between natural human langauges and computational languages is based largely on a metaphor. The comparison between human language and DNA is an even more far-fetched metaphor. DNA far better in terms of passing information than human language? What sort of information? You have a very mechanistic view of human lanugage. Have you been reading too much of Shanon's information theory? (I admit it's very useful in practical terms, but not so much in a theory of language). I have never seen a piece of lingusitic irony satisfactorily modelled in terms of bits of information.
    As a frustrated computational linguist I can tell you human language is a computational joke. In computational terms (since you've started using this analogy) it's a total, miserable, ultimate, fathomless f**ck up. I don't think we can blur the disctintion between artificial and natural languages so easily.
    AlmostAtheist
    ::That message is obvious: "When I say 'Don't eat of the tree', I mean it, damn it!"
    LMAO
    Pole

• proplog2
    proplog2

If someone discovered an absolute proof of God's existence they would be awarded the Nobel prize for sure. Until then forget about it.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Hi Pole - I was just making a point that in terms of brevity and accuracy dna passes information very very well. Human language however, passes much more information at the cost of accuracy. When I say 'I think therefore I am' there are many levels that can be understood on and much more information can be taken from this statement than is actually given (and most is probably unintended by the speaker!) Mathematical language is a 'tighter' language for the same reason - less context to get in the way, more rigid concepts and fewer alternative translations.

DNA passes on information that is not random but is constructed to be read exactly.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

qcmbr:

>Actually it is a language by one definition - for something to be a language requires a repeatable ruleset, a rule user and a rule interpreter -normally that means a >speaker and a listener.

You are making a huge assumption that individual atoms in the DNA are being told to perform a function, as opposed to reacting to stimuli.

>I work with code every day and its garbage to the non-programmer but to the compiler on the pc it means something (what I'm saying is it hasn't lost its language >status because there isn't a human listener) and likewise dna is an encoded message that can be read by the listening organic material

Absolutely, however, you are using a metaphor for the source code and compiler. Do not dismiss crystal formation as anything other than what you have described in you example. The molecules that form the crystals are communicating in a language. The language of crystal formation.

(what I'm saying is it hasn't lost its language status because there isn't a human listener) .

>There is nothing else in our human experience that is like it except human constructs spoken language, written language, maths, most thought (try thinking >without words) and recently computer language.

Human Experience, exactly. We use metaphor, example, illustration, and waving are arms about if necessary, to communicate. Is pointing at a food stuff in a foreign cafe so I can get some food stimulating a response from the shop owner or are we speaking a language?

>No where else is information purposefully encoded in such a way as to be meaningful to the listener - this is precisely why it is nothing like the simple patterns >found in such natural features as crystallization. Life is inherently different

Purposefully? That is one huge leap of faith my friend. DNA IS simple. Otherwise it would not work. You're a coder. You know that the language of the CPU is the simplest language of all. It's a bunch of switches that are either ON or OFF. Imaging trying to reengineer Windows XP operating system purely from the binary interaction of switches in the CPU. That's what decoding the 'language' of DNA is all about. Complex in the whole picture, simplest in the language. (metaphor intentionally used)

>I see dna as absolute proof of design despite sceptic viewpoints. The reference made to maths doesn't add up because maths is a simple generalisation , an >approximation of reality which isn't true (when I get the 'stupid creationist' flames I may even attempt to expand on this) wheras dna is real and concrete - there is >no approximation of reality at all.

No generalization in the language of math. Try telling the IRS that the math in calculating your tax can only be a generalization. You both communicate with the taxes paid, and amount owed. You react to the language, get a return, and take the wife out for a meal to celebrate.

I understand your point of view, but as an old coding hack myself, just because the overall complexity of a system seems daunting at first, doesn't mean that at its base isn't a very simple sent of reactions giving to stimuli. It is impossible to prove that God exists. In the same way you describe the existence of math. The existence of God is a personal belief, faith, feeling or trust.

steve

• Navigator
    Navigator

Even if the evidence supports "intelligent design", who says the design was by God. We use these bodies to experience separation from God, to do "our own thing". Why would God need to design bodies for us so that we could pretend to be our own Gods? If God designed them, why ain't they perfect? Why do they have a "limited warranty" (about 75 years under favorable operating conditions) and why are they subject to disease?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

fair enuf

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Nav - your right dna is not evidence of Jehovah, Shiva, ET or any god. Its just got some characteristics of design that suggest intelligence.

When asking for evidence of God a first step is to ask for a definition of God. If 'your' god is unseen and immaterial and mine is rock and roll then we probably won't agree on acceptable evidence.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Lets not forget the "dark side" of DNA.....not sure a "loving creator" would have designed this particular form of DNA communication.....

"A typical DNA virus first latches onto the outside of a host cell; then it injects its DNA strand into the host cell, leaving its protein coat outside. The virus's DNA travels to the center of the host cell and splices itself into the host's DNA strand or strands. The viral DNA takes over cell operation. The hijacked cell begins to make replicas (copies) of the viral DNA. The host cell also makes proteins for the coat of the virus, creating additional hijackers to invade new host cells. The hijacked cell becomes a virus-making factory. This whole process is called viral replication".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit