Rising gas prices, field service, meetings

by Jourles 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

I recalled the other day how several years ago my wife tacked on over 60k miles in about a year and a half on one of our cars while pioneering. It still makes me ill thinking about it. Then I began to wonder how the recent gas price surge is affecting normal field service activities and meeting attendance. Are JW's still going about their normal routines in service? Do they start the clock on one side of town, drive across to the other side for an RV, then back again, then across again, and so on and so forth? We all know what I'm talking about. The same routine which is used to chew up time while knocking on the fewest doors as possible.

Then what about the folks who have to drive a half an hour or more to get to the KH? And that's at least 3 times a week - not including field service. Are the other publishers helping contribute to the volunteer driver's gas tank? $1-2 does not go as far as it used to. If I were still a JW, I would intentionally go out and buy a two-door car or truck.

I wonder if the Society is seeing a hit this year in publisher hours and lower meeting attendance due to the gas crunch?

• upside/down
    upside/down

Maybe they'll start riding bikes like the Mormons...

Of course the sisters will have to have seats that don't "arouse unwholesome desires"...

u/d(of the why does she scream out everytime we go down that cobblestone road on our bikes class)

• Legolas
    Legolas
    Do they start the clock on one side of town, drive across to the other side for an RV, then back again, then across again, and so on and so forth? We all know what I'm talking about. The same routine which is used to chew up time while knocking on the fewest doors as possible.

LMAO...Yes I know what you mean because most of us used to do it!

• carla
    carla

You are kidding about the bike seat thing aren't you?

• upside/down
    upside/down

carla....No

It would be a real "issue" with many an old foggie elder...trust me.

And it'd be the most "fun" many sisters would ever have...trust me.

u/d(of the yes they're really that wierd class)

• joelbear
    joelbear

i heard the society would be sending money to each congregation for them to give out to the poor for gas money for service and meetings.

• bitemeWT
    bitemeWT
    And it'd be the most "fun" many sisters would ever have...trust me.

Oh, HECK yeah!

I used to be one of those "Lonely Sisters".

• upside/down
    upside/down

You poor thing...

"A man, can be a fun thing..."

u/d(of the I'm a boy toy for my wife...she rides the hell outta me class)

• upside/down
    upside/down
    i heard the society would be sending money to each congregation for them to give out to the poor for gas money for service and meetings.

You DEFINITELY heard wrong.... u/d

• Jourles
    Jourles
    i heard the society would be sending money to each congregation for them to give out to the poor for gas money for service and meetings

Now this sounds like the joke of the day. The Society sending money, to the congos for the poor! Whatever happened to their motto of take, take, take? There is no way this could happen. It would bleed them dry. I would see the WTS telling the congos first to put in a donation box for the poorer ones specifically for this purpose and then distributing it among them. But never in a million years would they send money out of compassion. You're pretty funny Joel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit