Fred Franz stories

by lawrence 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bythesea
    bythesea

Fred Franz stayed at my mothers home for a couple of days when he came out to do a new KH dedication, probably mid-70's. My step dad flew him in from a larger city and then back later. I recall my mom commenting that he was a quiet, fussy, kind of little guy....very polite, but seemed kind of an "odd duck"! I could try and get a little more out of her, if there was anything more she might remember about him.

I later heard him speak at our KH, from memory, on the history of the org. Someone else mentioned hearing that talk from him, so maybe he has done it numerous times and that's why he knows it so well. My kids were young at the time and were afraid to go up and meet him after the talk! I was impressed that he knew so many scriptures by heart, as he never used a Bible at all, probably due to his failing eyesight at that point.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I met Freddie in the late seventies at the Norval assembly hall. Bethel invited all pioneers to hear his talk. It was long and I only remember one thing he said at the end. "Brothers enjoy your roast beef today because there isn't going to be any in the new world."

I sat across him after eating the roast beef dinner. He was wearing an old suit and a very loud tie and old shoes.

wanna

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I intended to post a couple old (50 years old) photos that include Fred and perhaps his nephew, Raymond. Since this thread is nearly dead, I'll open a new one, probably on "Friends" section.

Fats

• lawrence
    lawrence

Fatfreek-

Thanks for posting those pictures.

bythesea-

Yes, any additional information would be appreciated.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Anyone assist- this is from a post of Alan F. from 2001- is there more to this ...

"He has told me and others that he once observed his uncle silently reading an ancient Hebrew manuscript in a museum display case, which the elder Franz is not likely to have done in private unless he was actually able to make sense of it. "

Others say he couldn't read Hebrew.

How about his asexuality?

• d
    d

Fred Franz must have been pretty weird to talk to.

• belbab
    belbab

In one of the WT old films that they put out, I think it was called "The New World Society in Action," ( It may have been another one that came later".) It showed Freddie when he arrived in New Zealand being quite titillated when a group of Maori woman came dancing towards him waving their butts in grass skirts in a traditional Maori welcome ceremony, he was tickled pink if I remember.

I also wrote in a post on this board a while back, which was an account where Gary Botting, co author of the book "The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses" went to Brooklyn Bethel and wiggled his way in to meet with Fred Franz. I will post the link in the next post.

belbab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit