Why naturalism is irrational

by Shining One 369 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Caedes
    Caedes
    You are reading something into my comments that are not there. I simply have been showing you the practical result of a naturalistic philosophy that equates man with mere animals. I am taking the same and drawing it out to its ultimate logical conclusion. First we had the endorsement of abortion on demand, for any reason. Next we have euthanasia and I wonder how long until the old who are too expensive to keep healthy are put to sleep (for their own good). After that I suppose the young and healthy will be living on Soylent Green....

As morality continues to decline without arrest, society slides downward into chaos. Every civilization has faced this and fallen. The last time this happened mankind came perilously close to extinction.

Thank you Shining one for conceding the point.

• ballistic
    ballistic

So... this isn't a thread about walking around with no clothes on.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You are raving again, Shining One/Rex. Do you always get like this when your worldview is challenged?

What in the world do they teach at your church?

....ad hominem, I will ignore.

You are a Sunday school teacher and you don't recognize the progressive revelation in scripture?

...ad hominem, I will ignore. I think you were warned off this particular type of personal attack. Please stop or I will report you to a forum administrator.

Am I getting this right, you think the Koran is wonderful and the Islamist's rants are equal in teaching to Christianity?

....hyperbole, I will ignore.

Have you ever heard of different dispensation periods? Do you know that there are two covenants and one is now complete and has been superceded? Did you ever notice that when Israel went out on its own they were defeated and that without God's support they could not win? God gave them laws to live by and observe within their own lands, not in other lands.

By that, I take it you don't acknowledge the common roots that the Isrealites, the Muslims, and Christianity all share?

Here are the scriptures I have in mind.

Luke 9:48-50. The concept is that anyone doing good does it with Jesus' blessing, even if he is "not one of us".

Psalm 50:9-11. God owns all that is good, and He keeps account.

Acts 17:24-27. God makes himself known without the help of human hands. He just is, and is obvious to anyone who gazes our mountains and plains and the stars.

Luke 10:25-27 Who is your neighbor?

You make claims that Christians are the most peaceful on the planet. But you cannot back it up with empirical evidence, only by the principles all Christians should share. Yet you admit the road is narrow. Even a self-admitted Christian can be cruel. So it wraps up as it always has, each individual must stand to account for their own deeds.

So I say again, even a SAMARITAN or a MUSLIM who does good, is more in harmony with God's will and knows more about loving their neighbor than you do.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Rex

You are doing the straw man thing. No one said 'bullet proof', that is unattainable.

I didn't say you said it was bulletproof. Please try to make any accusations of fallacious argumentation accurate or you yourself perpetrate a fallacy.

I asked for bulletproof. It is a pity you feel bulletproofness is not possible for your beliefs, but I commend you for your honesty . I have considerably more confidence than that in my beliefs, especially as regard to the general outline of human origins and the development of life on Earth. That is pretty bulletproof.

Is it enough to convict in a court of law?

No, of course not, not a decent court of law at any rate.

I encourage you to read Lee Strobel's, 'The Case for Faith' and 'The Case for Christ', as well as Josh McDowell's two books, 'Evidence that Demands a Verdict'.

I am fairly familiar with most Jesus apologisms. I would say it is quite possible Jesus has some kind of historical validity as a man. However, the additonal claims of miracles etc., are no more credible than those made for other "godmen" through history.

If it impossible to establish divinity or paranormal power in a few paragraphs you actually write yourself, I don't think you can, and don't think it is my place to prove your claims by reading books that also obviously fail to provide simple concrete proof of the divinity/paranormal claims - if they did, you'd have c&p'd it.

That is the same way that I view the Naturalist Philosophy with its teachings on evolution and natural origins. You pretend that you have no axioms or presuppositions and I have demonstrated that you clearly do.

No, DEMONSTRATE and SAY are two different things Rex. You avoid the fact that general evolutionary theory is not a few strands here and there but a massive wharp and weft that can be seen in every aspect of biological life on this planet, both extant and as recorded in the fossil record.

Your apologisms are neccesary as all you have is a few books you accept, largely on faith, are true accounts of the life of a man who was not a man.

The naturalistic philospohy you object to so strenuously might have a lot of detail that has and will shift as new discoveries are made, but the general theories are very very well attested to.

Only by exclusion of masses of supporting data and highlighting incongurous detail can you build any sort of platfrom, and then only to those who don't have the ducational background to know just how partial an argument you present.

You are comparing chalk and cheese, and I am glad it is you eating the chalk and me the cheese.

No, it is a facetious assertion.

Inappropriate humour? To you mate. I can understand why you might not LIKE the comparison. To me someone who cannot prove the divinity or paranormal nature of Jesus in a manner a court of law would find acceptable is EXACTLY the same as someone who could not prove their 'close encounter' with 'aliens' to a court of law. Please point out the faulty logic or admit you just don't like the comparison despite the obvious and clear equivalency.

I have evidence of miracles. Whether or not is 'proof' depends on several factors.

Evasion of issue and LOW standards of evidence. Other people make indistinguishable claims to you, but ones that also exclude the possibility of your claims being true, not unless there are lots of gods out there all of whom deny the other exist. Differentiate yourself or be lumped in with those you are functionally similar to.

Not at all, our scholars have demonstrated a obvious consistency in the 66 books of the Bible.

Maybe that's why the pagans chose them as the source book for a religon they hoped would bind a disintigrating Empire together. Presuppositons lie in each avenue of thought you display to us Rex.

Prophecies have been fulfilled and the risen Christ is alive and communicates with Christians.

Prove a prohecy has been fufilled. Just one will do, as per earlier definitons excluding post-fact prophecy and ambiguous prophecy. And again, you ignore the issue, which is equivalently unverifiable claims are made by other religionists and theists and you cannot show any real difference between your claims and theirs. Despite this you assert 'you' are right and they are wrong.

Stop claiming you are different from other believers in the paranoramal and SHOW me.

You can see Christ throughout the O.T. and we can look back at the Cross of Calvary today and see the salvation of mankind.

What if the NT was just written to tick off the boxes of what some people THOUGHT was the meaning of certain passages in the OT? "Oh, here it says he will do this, I know, we'll have him do x y and z in the scroll to make it look like he's fufilling the prophecy". If, for example, Judges 3.46 said "And the Messiah will wear sandals and a chicken suit", all the people involved in writing the NT have to do is say "and he wore sandels and a chicken suit" and BING! they have 'proved' he is the Messiah even if he actually wore Doc Martins and a baseball cap. This is why you acceptance of such 'proofs' is rather delightfully trusting.

You just assume no one was trying to make a religon, despite evidence that religions have been made time and time again through history.

Mohammed was a caravan robber who conquered others by force and established Arabian Kingdom law as holy. His followers fought over the spoils of his kingdom and his legacy is not good news but death to all who do not convert.

Oh please learn something about Islam today before you make yourself look foolish. And I suppose Jesus's followers were excellent unto one another and never fought? How you deceive yourself!

You argue about ambiguous prophecies yet you will close your eyes to ths same ambiguous evidence that seem s to fit the evolutionary models.

Ah come on. Have you actually studied biology or evolution from the point of view of someone wanting to learn, or just the standard 'enough to feel I can disporve it' model that so many religionists follow? If you did study it properly you would realise that the general model is more-or-less unimpeachable. It is everywhere you look if you open your eyes. Even religious beliefs obey evolutionary theory! For example, Creationism was and is (outside of the USA) dying out, so it evolved into the biggest oxymoron of the century, intelligent design. Hellfire became obviously unreconcilable with a loving god to any educated person, and most religions with such doctrines typically changed them as they lacked credibility holding onto the old doctrines.

Any substancial admission on the skeptic's part soon leads to the conversion of the skeptic.

What are you babbling about? For example - Velociraptors did not disembowl their pray with their horrid claws, contrary to previous thought. Does that mean they didn't evolve or did not exist. NO.

There is no Papacy or Emperor forcing people to believe (or die) anymore. That horrid corruption was broken on the foundation of the Reformation and the realization of Christian freedom.

Funny comment 'no .... forcing people to die anymore'. Jonestown? Blood Transfusions? Shunning? No wonder you think you have a decent argument; you ignore so much data in arriving at a conclusion you don't even see all the examples of how wrong you are.

Islam still forces 'belief' by the sword.

Like I say, educate yourself about a subject before making generalisations based on the interpretation of a relative handful of Muslims today. One can equally do that to some Christians if one is similarly uninformed or wilful in one's desire to ignore data.

Go ahead and see what happens to Islamists who convert to Christianity in civilized places like Egypt then tell me that is not true.

Now that is a strawman argument as I would not call Egypt civilised.

One of the reasons that Christians argue for Christ is because our faith is the only one with a logical and consistent worldview that has any evidence as being correct. That's why C.S. Lewis made such a strong case for Christianity...

No way are you going to tell me that 'Mere Christianity' makes a strong case for Christianity!! His entire argument for god's existence is 'we have a conscience', if I recall that appalling little book correctly (sorry Ross ). As he was entirely ignorant of the evolutionary pressure on a social animal to develop a 'conscience' it's not surprising HE thought it was a good one, but for anyone who would claim to be educated today it's a JOKE of an argument to stand behind.

and the writers of today follow suit.

THAT I will agree with, but only because current apolgetics regarding the existence of god are just as inadequate as C. S. Lewis's. Still, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" books were fun, and the film is out in November.

The only thing that gets in our way are heretics who claim to be Christian yet constantly compromise and villify their own faith. The Bishop Spongs of the world.

And here we see it is all based around YOUR definiton of "what it is to be Christian". You, who cannot prove the accuracy of your beliefs, have the temerity to criticise co-religionists who have equally valid opinions as to the definiton of Christianity.

Maybe faiths need to villify themselves and compromise, in order to improve? Maybe each generation's take on god is as good as the next generations, given that most religions tend to boil down to systemised versions of 'be nice to your neighbour', differing only in how many heads/arms the god has.

Break out the loin cloth and nose bone Rex, it's time to accept your beliefs for what they are. As good as the next religionists. Prove otherwise... something you have thus far failed to do. For example, you ignore the God of the Bible authorised ethnic cleansing and condemned the virgin girls of those ethnically cleansed to being war booty for the soldiers. Of course, whether "32,000" vriguin girls were condemned to rape by the murderers of their families and then a life of sexual slavery is moot, as there is not one shred of archaelogical evidence for the Israelites spending 40 years in the wilderness... oh, but you ignore that too, don't you... ? ... but this bloody thirsty misogynist is is the charcter of god as expressed in his word and as removed from most modern Christians as some passages in the Qu'ran are removed from modern Muslim.

But your selective vison blinds you to this...

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Dear Abby

Prove otherwise... something you have thus far failed to do. For example, you ignore the God of the Bible authorised ethnic cleansing and condemned the virgin girls of those ethnically cleansed to being war booty for the soldiers. Of course, whether "32,000" vriguin girls were condemned to rape by the murderers of their families and then a life of sexual slavery is moot, as there is not one shred of archaelogical evidence for the Israelites spending 40 years in the wilderness... oh, but you ignore that too, don't you... ?

I wouldn't want to put words in Rex's mouth. I do not have a problem comparing the founder of Islam with the founder of Christianity (Jesus never hurting anyone with the raping and murdering Mohamed), nor do I have a problem with God in the Old Testament, I believe He controls the destiny of the just and the unjust and has the right as the Creator to do what ever He wills with the clay. You are not qualified to judge God, and so, I would advise you of the words of Jesus "repent or you to will perish" He controls your destiny as well. If you do not know Jesus you do not know God D Dog

• Shining One
    Shining One

Jgnat,
    Let me ask you this, when Jesus said "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me." was He being intolerant and if so, should not a true Christian be intolerant as far as compromising his beliefs with other religions?
    (I ignore your wild assertions that somehow asking direct questions about what you teach, your church teaches or what you have learned.)
    WORKS do not save anyone fron hell. Its that simple. Who or what saves people from hell, according to Jesus. How does that filter through your 'law of love'? If I warn people that they are going to fall in a pit and you are quiet because you are afraid to offend them, who is the Good Samaritan?
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

I am going to have to answer this post in stages, Abaddon.
    (part one)
    >No, DEMONSTRATE and SAY are two different things Rex. You avoid the fact that general evolutionary theory is not a few strands here and there but a massive wharp and weft that can be seen in every aspect of biological life on this planet, both extant and as recorded in the fossil record.

The fossil record and the evidence for origins are still very much in dispute. The massive evidence itself can in many cases demonstrably be taken for creationism and in fact was, until the scientific and parts of the theological community (who compromised into surrender) decided that disposing of the notion of God would be their philosophical position. This did indeed happen over a period of time but now the tide is turning and that scares the unbeliever and threatens his own worldview.

>Your apologisms are neccesary as all you have is a few books you accept, largely on faith, are true accounts of the life of a man who was not a man.

NO, the apologisms are a command of scripture in the pastoral letters. My faith is rooted in the Rock of my salvation, in the person of Jesus Christ. He assures me of the faith that He gave me in the first place! God and man, both, remember that. He still bares the holes in his side, wrists and ankles.

>The naturalistic philospohy you object to so strenuously might have a lot of detail that has and will shift as new discoveries are made, but the general theories are very very well attested to.

The general theories are most solid concerning micro-evolution and almost completely unsupported and indemonstrable concerning macro-evolution.

>Only by exclusion of masses of supporting data and highlighting incongurous detail can you build any sort of platfrom, and then only to those who don't have the

Darwin said that proven ‘irreducible complexity’ would effectively debunk his theory. It has been and his theory is a ‘has been’, yet it is held as 'true' by the weight of tradition by those who would deny God.

>ducational background to know just how partial an argument you present.
    You are comparing chalk and cheese, and I am glad it is you eating the chalk and me the cheese. No, it is a facetious assertion.

The ‘cheese’ you are eating is oderous and spoiled with the rot of a philosophy passing itself off as fact, (part two to follow)
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi Abaddon,
    Now for part two:
    >Please point out the faulty logic or admit you just don't like the comparison despite the obvious and clear equivalency.

Whether or not I like the comparison is not the issue (genetic fallacy). You made a comparison between a (commonly viewed) a claim of someone who is mentally imbalanced, with someone who has some evidence of fact in their assertions……

> I have evidence of miracles. Whether or not is 'proof' depends on several factors. Evasion of issue and LOW standards of evidence. Other people make indistinguishable claims to you, but ones that also exclude the possibility of your claims being true, not unless there are lots of gods out there all of whom deny the other exist. Differentiate yourself or be lumped in with those you are functionally similar to.

Let’s see, how can I say this nice and with tact? HOGWASH! You present a false dilemma. I am actually avoiding the ‘suicidal argument’ of this day and age, “all roads lead to the same place; all religions lead to God; belief is more important than evidence.” Pluralism cannot be true. A God powerful enough to create by His word alone needs no evolutionary method to arrive at the point where mankind is living in a completed world! I do not care where you would ‘lump me in’, it is entirely irrelevant!
    I said: “Not at all, our scholars have demonstrated a obvious consistency in the 66 books of the Bible.”

>Maybe that's why the pagans chose them as the source book for a religon they hoped would bind a disintigrating Empire together.

Oh, you mean Constantine, whose mother was a believer. He found it politically expedient to issue an edict that decided the issue of the heresy of Arius. You are using a genetic fallacy instead of answering my assertion about the consistency of scripture.
    I said: Prophecies have been fulfilled and the risen Christ is alive and communicates with Christians.

>Prove a prohecy has been fufilled. Just one will do, as per earlier definitons excluding post-fact prophecy and ambiguous prophecy.

The destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD; the virgin birth, death and resurrection of Jesus…….

>And again, you ignore the issue, which is equivalently unverifiable claims are made by other religionists and theists and you cannot show any real difference between your claims and theirs.

Hogwash again, this is precisely the reason why Christianity wins just about by default when the philosophy of naturalism is exposed for what it is. Christianity has prophetic, historical and practical evidence far beyond any religion. Indeed, no religion has any evidence even close to that of Christianity.

>Despite this you assert 'you' are right and they are wrong.

No, because of the above it is my belief that I know Jesus Christ personally as my savior and Lord. All who genuinely cry out to Him will be saved.

>Stop claiming you are different from other believers in the paranoramal and SHOW me.
    You can see Christ throughout the O.T. and we can look back at the Cross of Calvary today and see the salvation of mankind.

Scholarly books on this subject have been written. Investigate the claims yourself. Your eternal life is dependent on it.

>What if the NT was just written to tick off the boxes of what some people THOUGHT was the meaning of certain passages in the OT? "Oh, here it says he will do this, I know, we'll have him do x y and z in the scroll to make it look like he's fufilling the prophecy". If, for example, Judges 3.46 said "And the Messiah will wear sandals and a chicken suit", all the people involved in writing the NT have to do is say "and he wore sandels and a chicken suit" and BING! they have 'proved' he is the Messiah even if he actually wore Doc Martins and a baseball cap. This is why you acceptance of such 'proofs' is rather delightfully trusting.

Your analogy is again delightfully ignorant…..

>You just assume no one was trying to make a religon, despite evidence that religions have been made time and time again through history.

You really have not investigated this at all have you? You apparently are content to read funny little arguments from amateur internet skeptics because it suits your spiritual poverty.

I said: Mohammed was a caravan robber who conquered others by force and established Arabian Kingdom law as holy. His followers fought over the spoils of his kingdom and his legacy is not good news but death to all who do not convert.

>Oh please learn something about Islam today before you make yourself look foolish. And I suppose Jesus's followers were excellent unto one another and never fought? How you deceive yourself!

UH, the last that I looked the apostles did not kill each other, no one has claimed that they did and they certainly did not conquer the Roman empire and impose Christianity on it! Does that fact really escape your notice? 'Islam today' is remarkably silent when it comes to killing Jewish babies, flying airplanes into buildings, blowing up Iraqi schoolchildren, and the deaths go on and on because the suicide and homicide bombers are following the teachings of ISLAM.

>You argue about ambiguous prophecies yet you will close your eyes to ths same ambiguous evidence that seem s to fit the evolutionary models. Ah come on. Have you actually studied biology or evolution from the point of view of someone wanting to learn, or just the standard 'enough to feel I can disporve it' model that so many religionists follow?

Yes I did, both in school and later when I was searching for my own origins. I found out that belief in evolution was completely dependent on the presuppositions that students are indoctrinated with. I found that you could take the same evidence and argue for intelligent design.

>If you did study it properly you would realise that the general model is more-or-less unimpeachable. It is everywhere you look if you open your eyes.

Open your eyes to the creation, it did not come about by any random acts of universal chaos. You Don’t expect to find a completed 747 is a aircraft junkyard. You find it at the end of an assembly line in Washington state, designed by engineers and built by craftsmen, all using brains that are designed in irreducible complexity. What is 'unimpeachable' is micro-evolution, macro-evolution is whimsy and it is unobservable and not reflective of the fossil records.

>Even religious beliefs obey evolutionary theory! For example, Creationism was and is (outside of the USA) dying out,

No, it is alive and well everywhere but parts of Canada and western Europe.

>so it evolved into the biggest oxymoron of the century, intelligent design.

I.D. is arrived at by the investigation of all of the evidence. It is not limited to the presuppositions of those who contend there can be no supernatural....

>Hellfire became obviously unreconcilable with a loving god to any educated person, and most religions with such doctrines typically changed them as they lacked credibility holding onto the old doctrines.

What is more merciful, an eternity separated in from God or complete and utter destruction? You are talking about a metaphorical description of hell that may or may not be appropriate. The image of hell is that of utter hopelessness. None of scripture lacks credibility except in the assertions of the unsaved.
    But that is a side issue. What do the scriptures teach, if you do not accept scripture as valid then it is completely inconsistent to use it as a belief system. That is what I keep telling the likes of Jgnat. You know that but you do not say so because you are simply more comfortable with her compromise.
    I'm done. No part three. This will go on and on and never end then the last poster will claim victory in the usual manner. LOL
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

DDog,
    Just like any other self proclaimed internet scholar and skeptic. You dismiss the complicated and intricate interpretation of literature with the broad brush of simplification...There is no real debating here, just 'piling on' of the popular assertions prevalent in the persons who reside here.
    Rex

• jgnat
    jgnat

Shining One/Rex: Wild assertions. That's cute. But say no more. I am glad you changed tack.

I believe that Jesus is the way to life. So, how do you figure to tell the difference between the living and the damned? Do you squeeze them like bad fruit?

I am content to live my testimony and leave the judging to God.

By your complete silence on my other arguments I assume you've run out of excuses. The Muslims and Isrealites share the same cultural roots as Christians. A Muslim who cares for his neighbour is doing God's will as surely as a Samaritan or a Christian would. Claiming the culture and the history of Christianity is no talisman against violence. Every individual is capable of it, and every individual will be held accountable for their own deeds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit