Marriage and Age

by pratt1 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I'm 16 years older than my wife.

Living with a contemporary would certainly bring more affinity to our values and sense of cultural ethos. We are soooooo different!

T.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

I`m 6 years older than my hubby,and the age difference has never played a factor in our relationship. We have now been together for 18 1/2 years!

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Well age never stops me.

Because of my lifestyle and situation, I tend to hang out with twenty somethings and I have never felt uncomfortable at all, oh except when they mention how old their parents are!!!

Seriously, If I see an attractive woman, I don't do mental arithmatic around how old she is. If we are attracted to each other, why not?

Love 'em all

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I am 46 and Andy is 32. He has asked me to marry him many times. Do we care what anyone thinks of our relationship? Hell no. Most of our friends, we used to work at the same company, think we are just "so cute." We have a very profound relationship. You'd have to for it to last for 5 1/2 years. It helps that I don't look middle aged.

Older women with younger guys, I am all for it if it works. The interesting thing in my situation is that we were wonderful friends. I never considered dating him out of respect for the age difference. Imagine my surprise when he finally confessed to me that he was madly in love with me. I tried to tell him it couldn't work. He convinced me otherwise. And wow, I am so happy I finally gave in.

• ballistic
    ballistic

FHN, without being too personal, isn't the age gap an issue when one partner wants children? This is relevant to my situation.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I really can't see myself with someone that much younger or older. It would be like a generation gap. As it is I'm 6 days younger than my wife and that's hard enough!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    FHN, without being too personal, isn't the age gap an issue when one partner wants children? This is relevant to my situation.

It could be a problem if it's terribly important for the younger man to have his own children. In my case, Andy doesn't want children of his own. We cared for my grandsons all summer, the littlest one we had for five months. Andy loves those kids and he would raise them, but he also saw how much of a challenge caring for children is. His view of not wanting children of his own was cemented by this summer's experience.

I don't know if I can still have children or not. I know I don't want more children. If it happened that a change of life baby came along, we would want the baby. We'd never try for one though.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I've mentioned this to a couple of people (obviously half the world now on the web LOL), and their reaction was, "men can have kids right into old age". But that misses the point that you still would have to find a woman attracted to you who was still able to have kids AND actually wanted kids. I have actually had to end a relationship when I was told she couldn't have anymore children.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I have actually had to end a relationship when I was told she couldn't have anymore children.

I believe if you are with the right person, this will become a non issue. But if your love for someone is not that profound, the desire for your own progeny will win out.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I have raised two children. They are 21 and 26. They both have extreme challenges in life. I've had my heart broken so many times and spent many sleepless nights worrying about them, especially since they have grown up. Raising kids is like playing Russian roulette, you don't always get healthy, mentally stable, easy to raise kids. And you will always have responsibility for them. The worrying doesn't stop when they leave home.

What I am saying, and I love my kids, is that it's not all fun and games and having kids is a decision most people take too lightly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit