Marriage and Age

by pratt1 31 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

Would you marry someone more than 15 years older or younger than yourself?

It seems to be somewhat common for men to marry women significantly younger than them selves, but when a woman marries a man much younger, it seems to generate a lot of attention.

What are your thoughts?

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

i'm only 20 and my man's 30. even though that's 5 years younger than what you asked, we still get raised eyebrows. but even so, i've never been happier in my life.

i say that as long as you and the other person are truly in love and happy, there's no reason not to be together.

luv, jojo ( i matt!)

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

15 years older, I doubt it. 15 years younger, hmmm.... I think I should wait five years or so

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

A few decades ago, an age difference of 5 or 6 years, particularly if the woman was the older would have been viewd in a poor light.
    Now, I don't think it is as much an issue. People in their 40s, 50s, and 60s enjoy much better health than our parents and grand parents and therefore not only feel younger but looker younger too. Good on you if you find true love at any age.
    Check this link (sorry you'll have to cut and paste but I use FireFox rather than Internet Explorer)
    http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/specials/agelesscouples/pagina_10_1.html

• daystar
    daystar

I'm more interested in us matching interests and personality than obsessing on age difference. I've dated years older than myself and years younger. It doesn't really seem to make much of a difference.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I remember a friend telling me once, "Age is mind over matter. If you don't mind - it don't matter."

Mozz is 3 1/2 years younger than I. When we first started dating, it really bothered me. He was 25 and I was 29. I remember asking him once early in our dating period, "Does our age difference bother you?" He raised his eyebrows and said, "Nope. Not at all." I found it strange that he didn't even really think about it. So I pushed further, "What about this summer when I turn 30 and we're in totally different decades?" He shrugged and said, "I think I'll be dating the hottest 30 year old I know."

I thought I'd keep him around for a bit longer after that comment.

• Undecided
    Undecided

My wife is 6 years younger than me. She doesn't look her age and neither do I. Most people think I'm in my 50s but I will be 70 my next birthday in 4 months. I don't feel 70 but I can feel my old age catching up to me lately since I couldn't do anything for 6 weeks because of my prostate operation. Today was six weeks since the operation and I could mow my yard and bowl again, I feel better since I got some exercise. I am going to keep doing everything I can so I won't waste away. I notice the skin of old people and it seems to be one of the first things that goes bad and reveals your age. So far mine is OK but I can tell it's changing. I hate the effects of old age on people, especially the brain. That is my most fearful change and I can tell my memory is not what it was a few years ago.

Please excuse my rumbling about age, but 15 years is a bit much on the upper end of life.

Ken P.

• ballistic
    ballistic

When I left the truth at 22, I went through a spell of dating older women. Now at 34, my last 3 g/f have been 25, 29, 32. I am actually looking for a relationship to have children in and in the UK, most women my age have finished already believe it or not. Most blokes my age have as well, I guess, I feel I'm in a perculiar situation.

• Es
    Es

I was seeing a 38 year old when i was 24! It was great he was so much cooler than the youger guys i had been with. But the age got to him after a while and broke up with me. But your right when its a woman its difference jst after my ex and i broke up he was 23 he started seeing a 34 year old and i was like what cant she get someone her own age.....

es

• ballistic
    ballistic

I'm on a dating site, and it sometimes makes me feel really old chatting to very young women. I was chatting to one the other day and she first started making all the internet "noob" jokes about being gay then saying "not really", then she talked about sex very naively. Then said the thing that is going round young liberals in the UK at the moment, "I only have sex with people who have had 7 partners already", sheesh... I just said, "that's funny, I have sex with whoever I want".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit