Anyone in, or know much about military service

by devinsmom 21 Replies latest jw friends

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

This question is in relation to my situation w/ my ex husband. You can read about it here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/91278/1.ashx

Since then he still has not paid any support and currently owes me approx. $15,000. Since that thread he has not attempted to see our son, or even call to see how hes doing, doesnt know when he took his first steps or anything else about him at all.

So after 6 months of no contact he pops up on my yahoo messenger and still after 20 minutes and no questions about our son, he says that hes joined the military and is going to be a marine.

My question is this: This man has a warrant for not paying child support, has been sentenced to 6 months in jail and will serve it as soon as he gets caught. He is a nortorious liar and I suspect this is another one of his tall tales. Is it possible for the marines to take someone who has a warrant and is awaiting jail time?

Thanks,

April

• under74
    under74

uhh, I thought they screened people the same way most other places do...Red Cross, Verizon, Public school districts....but I could be wrong--it's only the military, right? I'll ask my uncle (former marine) but he's in the hospital so it'll have to be later this week. But for sooner rather than later- you could probably call the local recruiting office and ask them...they are supposed to be people of principle...although my uncle says otherwise for many he served with

The guy sounds like a real ass. I had one of those as a dad and all I can say is screw him, nobody needs people like him.

Stay strong April.

• outnfree
    outnfree

April,

I'm going with my son to the Army recruiting station tonight and the Marines are just down the hall. I will pop my head in and ask your question. I'll get back to you.

outnfree

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

Thanks outnfree, I would appreciate that. Im trying to find them in the phone book but I must not be looking in the right place.

-April

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

As long as the crime committed is not severe, the military (the Marines in particular have a reputation for doing this) can overlook a prior record. It is also possible for a judge to sentence someone to joining the military in an attempt to straighten them out if their crimes are relatively petty, and any jail time served would have been fairly short. A kid in a street gang who as of yet had committed no major crimes but had an arrest for shoplifting or something, would be a good example. It is entirely possible that your ex is another-a 6 month sentence is right in that range where it makes it just possible that he was arrested, and given a deal to join the military.

From what I have been hearing about military recruitment numbers being down, I would guess that these kind of deals are being made more often now. Recruiters have quotas to meet, they are supposed to get a certain number of kids shipped off to bootcamp each month or quarter. So the harder it is to get their quota, the more likely people of less than sparkling character will be recruited. In any area where you don't meet the military standard, you are required to get a waiver. For instance there is a height minimum (I have forgotten what it is), if you don't meet it, you have to get a waiver-its just more paperwork the recruiter gives you, I myself had to get a waiver for previous drug use (Supposedly no military personnel are allowed to have ever smoked pot, but you can get the waiver when you join, and had I not been so determined to be honest, righteous, etc, I just could have lied since it had been over 30 days).

How old is he? One thing the military is very strict about is age-I think the cutoff is 31 or 32 for joining as a fresh recruit, you can only be older than that if you have had prior military service, then the number of years you served is deducted from your actual age. (34 - 4 years prior service = 30 years old for purpose of enlisting.)

There actually is good news here: IF he's telling the truth about joining the military, he will be forced to pay all the money he owes you. The military does not allow people to get away with not paying debts, when I was in I saw so many guys who had a checking account for the first time in their life who got wrote up or extra duty cause they bounced checks right and left.

John, ex US Marine

PS: Ask him what his MOS is going to be. 1) He should know what you mean, and 2) Marine MOS's are always 4 digit numbers, not numbers mixed with a letter like the army does. MOS stands for military occupational specialty; mine was 2141 (amphibious tracked vehicle technician).

• blondie
    blondie

I would think if he gets a permanent job with the military it might be easier to get cooperation for havimg part of his pay garnisheed for child support.

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

Thanks for the info John. I just went to the WI court system website and its not showing any new cases for him so I dont think he got any "deal". I just talked to someone from the national gaurd and asked them the same ?'s and he said there is no way that they would let him in with a warrant. My guess is that this is just another lie of his (his cumpulsive lying problem is part of why I divorced him).

As far as his age, he is only 26 so is within the range, I guess I just wait it out to see.

-April

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Pre-9/11 the Military was very selective with their recruits, you had to pass so many background tests, your credit had to be good, your debt ratio had to be good, and you had to have a decent criminal record-nothing major, but no felonies. If he owes you 15,000 dollars then that needs to somehow show up in a credit report if you can put it there. Post 9/11- Im not sure, but I believe they might have loosened up their requirements.

Dave

• jstalin
    jstalin

I would head down to the local Marine Corps recruiter and make sure he is aware of the warrant.

• Carol
    Carol

IF the Marine's take him, they will make a man of him.......they will either make him come up with the $$$$$$ before enlistment or all of his $$$$$$ will go to you each month if he's man enough to make it through basic. Another good point....if he enlists in the military, your son will have certain rights to his military benefits, including medical care (and if something happens to him while he is serving, there is a small life insurance policy and you can collect Social Security for your son and until he's 16 for yourself as his caregiver)!

As hard as it may be, step back a little and wait and see if he is allowed to enlist. He has a judgment against him for the back child support, so this could be a good thing one way or another the military will see that he pays it off.

Good luck and keep us posted!

PS - John....you sign as an ex-Marine. It is my understanding having dated a retired Master Gunnery Sargeant for these past 12 years, that you are always a Marine. You may refer to yourself as retired or prior (depending on length of service) but you are never, ever and ex-Marine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit