The Bible...trust in Faith or trust in Fact?

by jgnat 163 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    So often the argument seems to be about disproving the bible, etc., when the bible is just a record (however accurate or inacurate that may be).

Agreed LT; you are right in that so much effort goes into disproving the bible when in reality it could hold some value albeit limited in terms of evidence or as a record; I suppose it could be argued that the bible does contain some facts...facts which could be supported or cooborated through external archeological records or findings etc.

DB74

• jgnat
    jgnat

Nice summaries, diamondblue and Little Toe. Evidence that you've been reading and thinking.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

One of the best threads I have read in a long time, really got me thinking. Secular history really isn't much better than biblical really as it has been said the history books were written by the victorious. I mean, how reliable are the historical accounts of secular history? I would venture to say they have to be taken with a huge grain of salt as well, or when studying ancient civilizations via their crude pictographs and ruins, I would say good guesses at best, what do we really KNOW about what went on, all the things that happened behind the scenes etc.

For God's sake, we can't even decide who the hell killed Kennedy.

It would seem with modern technology history is more well preserved, but even that has problems, i.e. data tampering. In the last century photographs were absolute proof in a court of law, but now with digital techniques the old saying a photo doesn't lie is no longer true, they can be altered. Even video can be altered or parts can be taken out of context.

My point, why stop at ripping on the Bible's veracity? Hell, pretty much all of what we think we know about our history is at best moderately suspect if not highly suspect. What George Washington really said to his troops, who the hell knows, I know what I was taught in history class but we really can't say for sure what exact words came out of his mouth, etc.

In my opinion we take a whole lot more on faith than the Bible.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    My point, why stop at ripping on the Bible's veracity? Hell, pretty much all of what we think we know about our history is at best moderately suspect if not highly suspect. What George Washington really said to his troops, who the hell knows, I know what I was taught in history class but we really can't say for sure what exact words came out of his mouth, etc.

In my opinion we take a whole lot more on faith than the Bible.

if the bible were taken to be just cultural mythology [as many of have come to beleive] or inaccurate history as some contend, then no problem....but when it comes to whether this is from a supernatural source or not than the issue of its veracity must be dealt with, no?

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Ross,

I expect much more than tuppence from you. Don't let me down.

OldSoul

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Zen, I absolutely agree, God as the author of the Bible, total faith, end of subject.

The Bible as containing any historical fact, debateable.

Two separate issues, I was commenting on both, sorry if I was unclear, not enough coffee yet.

BD

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Tetra:

ha ha! i see what you're saying. JWs are not true xians. i, personally, think this is rather arrogant. sure they're idiots, no doubt! but to say that they are not "true" xians, is like them saying that you're not. hubris. see the "real christians" thread.

if i have completely mistaken your take on the subject, then please do let me know.

Have you been following my comments on the "true Christian" thread?

I don't have an extensive list of things that denote a "Christian" (true or otherwise), but I'm afraid that the WTS does not list as a Christian organisation in my book. There may be Christians within it, as with other denominations, but that's another story.

If you want to see that as arrogant, go right ahead, it's a free country.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

where? scotland?

okay, i see what you're getting at.

ts

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Contrary to ShiningOne's opinion, I suspect Canada is a free country, too

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

where i live, it's loathsomely conservative, IMO. rex would like it, in a way. much like a cold version of texas, with mountains.

sorry for hijacking. as you were soldiers!

ts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit