Kent, Common Objectives & William Barclay

by hillary_step 16 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Hillary, thank you for starting this most sensible thread. It was a pleasure to read everyone' comments.

Trevor, I used to enjoy your posts, when you gave real, detailed help to people. I wish you would do more of that again. You have a true talent for providing help to others. It seems to me that for every person you help directly, there might be ten lurkers or more who are benefiting as well.

• trevor
    trevor

Thanks for your kind words Larc,

I will bear them in mind.

You are a true gentleman and one of the diamonds on this board. I hope you never lose your sparkle!

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Trevor,

I used to post sensible thoughtful threads some months ago but I now realise that they are neither wanted nor appreciated.

You goose. (affectionate term in the usa, btw.) I enjoyed your threads, and your comments. That's why I got irritated at what I perceived was you when in actuality it was 6 (no offense meant, 6) on another thread. Remember? Hope so - don't want to pull an old argument up.....again.

The more sensible threads that appear......the more insensible threads will diminish, imho. There are some good, intelligent people here. There are others, like myself, who are learning, want to learn, and will discuss......if given the chance. I don't 'start' threads well - but I tend to contribute, sometimes too relentlessly.

Argument threads incite the emotions of people. You, of all people, should know that's a much easier accomplishment than getting people to think.

waiting

• trevor
    trevor

Hi Waiting

Thanks for your thoughts. I do enjoy the arguments on the board, I just wish they didn't overshadow the sensible posts so much.

Your post are also some of the most worthwhile here. You were among the first to talk with me when I joined. Glad you are still around.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi trevor,
    Just wanted to jump in and tell you that I always did read your posts and really got a lot out of them. I look forward to seeing more like them! Thanks,they were appreciated. I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell you.regrads,tina

• Francois
    Francois

Hi OutnFree!
    Actually, I did all my Gandhi reading years ago. First I read "Gandhi the Man" by Eknath Eswaran. It's sort of the lazy man's Gandhi biography. Then I saw the movie. After that, I read many Gandhi books, including his autobiography. Also:

Gandhi: His Life & Message for the World, Louis Fischer (Fischer's role in the Gandhi story was attributed to "Walker" who was played by Marin Sheen.)

Gandhi's Truth, Erik H. Erikson

The Essential Gandhi, An anthology of his writings edited by Louis Fischer.

The Words of Gandhi, edited by Richard Attenborough.

Fighting With Gandhi, Mark Juergensmeyer (The title really means "how to fight using Gandhi's techniques")

The application of Gandhi's concepts ahimsa and satyagraha by the world would transform it overnight. So would the application of the sermon on the mount, the Tao te Ching, and the Gettysburg Address. It just ain't gonna happen.

Human beings are too fond of clinging to their hatreds for that.

Francois

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• trevor
    trevor

Thanks for your comments Tina,
    If this goes on people will accuse me of trying to get attention!

hillary_step,

I don't believe that everyone wants to be loved. If they have a deep rooted belief that they are unlovable they will resist all attempts to receive love.

Attempts to force love on them will result in a reversal and they will reserve a special hatred for the one who has tried. This is because they make them aware of the flaw that is at the heart of their problem - the inability receive or give love. Only by changing their belief will they be able to accept love.

The JW's have been trained to only feel love towards those who love Jehovah. Outsiders who are kind and loving towards them cause a conflict in their minds. The outsider must have some serious flaw which makes them deserving of death. If a fault cannot be found then one must be invented. It is just not possible that sinful outsiders and apostates could actually possess the love that they alone claim to have.

Those JW's who are able to feel a deep affection for non-JW's are usually the ones that eventualy leave.

Trevor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit