Breast Cancer

by simplesally 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Carol
    Carol

Sally, my mother was diagnosed in 1997, she had chemo then a lumpectomy and the removal of two lymph nodes, then more chemo and radiation, she had a rough year and still goes in every three months for blood work and check-ups, but she is cancer free (she was 65 when diagnosed).

I just went through another biopsy and my tumor has been determined non-malignant, but questionable, this was my 5th biopsy since 1997....should my tumor ever be diagnosed as malignant, my decision will be a double radical. I can LIVE without my breasts. Yes, they can do lumpectomies, but I also am the type of person that would worry about a return and one of the things they tell you about cancer it "stress" is not a good thing.

You made to best decision for you. Any treatment that will allow you time with you children and grandchildren is the correct decision. As my mother's oncologist told her "caught in time, breast cancer does not kill you, it just makes life hell for about 12 months".

Hang in there our thoughts, prayers and good energy are headed your way!

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Carol.

That was a wonderful reply

Best wishes to everyone who has to go through this.

Sally

• patio34
    patio34
    I couldn't live with an eventual 15% recurrance rate (which means your rate increases to a maximum of 15%, one percent per yer) versus a maximum of 2%. --Sally

Dear Sally,

I'm sorry you have this to deal with! I met you in Torrance a few years ago and saw your beautiful daughter too. You stated the above, and I don't think I would have any different opinion than that. I've been thru cancer too and it's best to give it all you/they have, imo.

All the best,

Pat

• simplesally
    simplesally

Carol --- sorry you have to live with the fear of a diagnosis.

Patio --- nice to hear from you. Sorry you, too, had cancer.

NPY==== skiing in February??

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Sally,

Skiing? YES!!! Of course!

But you will win the down hill competition this time...I will lose because of being top heavy.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    There is a lot of breast cancer in my family and so I have been told that the chances of me developing it in later life are quite high, I already know that I will opt for a masectomy should I need it.

My cousin was the first in our family to get it. My doctor told me that since she is my paternal cousin, I have no reason to fear any genetic connection. If she had been a maternal cousin, she said she would have sent me for the genetic test. In any case, the genetic predisposition to cancer is not a high percentage of the cases at this time. Sharon's doctor told us that most of the breast cancer patients are over 70, which was a big surprise to us. He said most younger women are better about checking themselves and getting screened regularly, than older women.

I wouldn't mind a mastectomy either. In some ways, it would be a relief. I hate bras, and they are too big anyway.

• fedolox
    fedolox

Very interesting comments and experiences. It made me think. A friend of mine had breast cancer. The operation went well and the new boobs look somehow good. But a garanty for the future has nobody. An unhealthy fear is unconstructive. Of course we want to make the right decision. But what is the best decision in our case. Common sense is really a help even it doesnt rescue us in all cases. Getting very good informations about the special kind of cancer helps a lot. Spending time with positive things. Eating healthy. Being active in sport activities. Having a good sleep. Dont allowing the cancer to take away the joy of life and the love that you have to give. Not easy if the death is knocking at your door. I would like to know as much as possible about the kind of enemy in me. How he functions. What makes him stronger or weaker. What does he needs to stay alive. And I know I wouldnt want to give him time to became stronger. Every hours counts. If you cant kill that cancer then keep him in place. Even a cancer has a weak point. I know easy to speak like that. Of course we want to live and dont want to leave the people we love behind us (young and old) To feel the powerful Peace of God (Phillipiens 4:6,7) shows you which is the best door to choose. In know what I am saying. It makes you so calm, the times goes by so slow and you can see suddenly clearly the way to go. And you know there is no better. Whereever it leads you its all you can do. I wish you all the best :)

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Hi Sally,

Last december I found a lump in my breast...I didn't do anything for 3 weeks except worry. Then I finally told my husband and he made me go to the doctors. I was terrified because of my family history with cancer. I went and they did an ultrasound and blood tests and found it was nothing but they want to check it again when I am done breastfeeding my son.

I have already thought about what I would do if I was diagnosed with breast cancer because my aunt has had it. I would have a mastectomy. I couldn't stand to not be here to watch them grow up.

I'd do whatever I had to do to be here.

I am sorry for this happening to you - if there is anything I can do or any of us here please don't hesitate to ask.

WG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit