Breast Cancer

by simplesally 37 Replies latest jw friends

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Sally,

I think you made the right choice. You and I have talked, and you know a little about what I have been going through for the last few years.

First it was leukemia, then maybe lupus, then maybe just chroniuc fatigue syndrome. I am so sick of doctors, and all they care about is how much insurance you have as how they will treat you, ( not all but most ) but that is another story and don't get me started on that.

Their final diagnosis is I might have colon cancer. So I go in for that wonderful procedure in a week and a half, but it took them two months to get the insurance to ok it, since then I have been throwing up blood, and blood in other orfices.

I haven't had a will to live in a while, I have told people I wish I was an elephant who could just go off and die in peace. But alas I am not an elephant, and friends like you have been there for me to make me strive to keep living. All my children are grown, but they still want a mother around for a few more years. So I am trying to get off my pity party for myself and keep living.

You doing this because of Teryn shows what an awesome mom you are. Who needs boobs, gawd, Victorias Secret ruined the two for five bucks white comfortable bras long ago, now we have to pay 40 bucks or more for them, Save that money and lets take a cruise together!

I'll bring the paper boys.

Love you!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Sally, I don't know what I would do. I pray that I never have to make that decision.

I feel for you and Brenda. You are in my thoughts daily.

Much love,

Robyn

• simplesally
    simplesally

Bikerchic...............thanks so much for going on the walk...........it really means so much to me.

I want to live, I want to be there for my daughter''s wedding, her babies, her life. I have no choice but to choose the harshest things for myself.

Robdar..........you forgot to mention NPY in your concerns........she, too, is going thru terrible health problems that doctors have not firmly diagnosed. I have been so in touch with her and they do believe that her situation is extremely serious, but you won't see her post that information..............

Love to all of us with health issues.

• Scully
    Scully
    I have a 4 year old and had to do the worst for me to do the best for her.

Sometimes, such is the way of a mother's love.

Sally, you made the right choice for you. I'd probably make the same choice as you did if we had the same circumstances. I once had a patient during my training days - a cancer free young woman - who had an elective double radical mastectomy due to the strong family history she carried with her. She had watched her grandmother die, her mother suffer, her aunt suffer and there was no way, come hell or high water, that she was going to have breast cancer like them. She made sure of it.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I had an aunt who had a mastectomy some time around 1950. She just died a few years ago. I think she was 90. It sounds to me you made a well informed decision. I think that is the best any of us can do in any situation.

• Mulan
    Mulan

My cousin, my best friend in my life, was diagnosed with breast cancer about 6 years ago. It was early and she opted to try alternative things for six months. By the time she went back for an evaluation, the cancer had spread out of control. She had to have chemo therapy for several months to get rid of it on the skin of her breast, so they could operate. She had a mastectomy (left side). Then more chemo for months. I was with her for all of it, and sat with her during the treatments, took her to doctor appointments, sat by her hospital bed, during her many stays there.

A year later, she couldn't move her right leg, from the knee down. Her right hand started giving her problems. She refused to think it had anything to do with the cancer. Ultimately she agreed to a CAT scan, in August 2000, where they found a marble sized tumor in her brain, breast cancer tissue that had metasticized. Surgery was done immediately, followed by radiation treatments, and a few months later, a horrible procedure that was done with a gamma ray "gun" through a helmet they screwed onto her head. That was to attempt to kill all the tumors that had appeared all over her brain.

After that procedure, a few days later, she began seizing. It took them about an hour to make the seizure stop. It was constant. She was terrified. It was a result of the gamma gun.

The cancer spread to her bones, liver and of course her brain. (It was May 2001 by the time she had the seizure) She passed away on September 6, 2001.

After watching her go through all of that, I decided that if it ever happens to me, I might agree to surgery to remove a lump (hers was very deep and it wasn't an option in the beginning to do a lumpectomy). I wouldn't do chemo or radiation. It's horrible!

I believe in alternative therapies, but in Sharon's case it was a bad decision. I guess I will have to see if it happens to me, before I make any rash statements. Sharon's doctor never told us she wouldn't survive. I think he should have. After she died, he told me he knew when she finally agreed to surgery, that it was too late.

I hope you do well. Your attitude is extremely important. Sharon didn't really fight, and never could really accept she was going to die.

Sharon McDaniel Kennedy

January 27, 1942 - September 6, 2001

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((Sally)))) ... and everyone else that would be faced with this decision.

Not to make light of it, but I have really little breasts anyway, so I don't know if there'd be that much difference if I opted for a mastectomy. I'd probably make the same decision. Good thing Mozz is a "butt" man.

• Ellie
    Ellie

There is a lot of breast cancer in my family and so I have been told that the chances of me developing it in later life are quite high, I already know that I will opt for a masectomy should I need it.

Its a scary illness but very curable and I wish you both the very best.

• fairchild
    fairchild

I wish you all the best. You are doing the right thing by informing yourself on the subject of breast cancer. Decisions are sometimes easier to make when one has a wealth of information available.

hugs, Chris

• simplesally
    simplesally

Ellie, they do have genetic testing for it now...........call your doctor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit