Elders wives, are they more submissive?

by JH 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Joel Wideman
    Joel Wideman

Without knowing more of the details, such as what either of them say about the arrangement, I don't know that this is an example of a submissive wife. She may enjoy staying active in her golden years and taking care of her husband, knowing now that she's survived cancer she's bound to outlive him.
    Dominant and submissive people are naturally drawn to each other. I've known non-JW couples who were examples of this, and to a greater degree than any JW couple. I've also known JW couples who only paid lip service to the concept.
    Based on my experience, hardly. But that doesn't preclude the possibility.

• Scully
    Scully

Is that your way of justifying your prejudice against overweight people?

• JH
    JH

I didnt say that Scully. All I said is that I won't talk about overweight people anymore. It was an error.

• Shania
  • Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

JH, some of my comments were over the top, and I apologize for that.

This touched on a sensitive subject for me, as I've been on the receiving end of unfavourable comments for many years now. I'm overweight. I weigh 310 pounds. People look at me and just assume it's because I eat too much. I'd be glad if it were simply a matter of overeating, but it's another medical problem that began when I joined the JWs. (maybe it's their fault) In the first year alone I gained 70 pounds very quickly. Unfortunately, because of the incompetent doctors I visited the problem went undiagnosed and untreated for 5 years. To this day I fight a constant battle with doctors who want to reduce the dosage of my medication because it's so high, and they say it puts a lot of stress on my body, but every time I've given in to them I'd shoot up another 20 pounds within a month. And it's hell to try to lose it again. But most people look at me and see a fat guy, and just assume I do nothing but eat constantly.

But, back to the original topic, I always thought the elders wives ruled the roost. If I went to the elders with a concern usually it was never addressed. But if I got my ex to talk to the PO's wife there would be action very quickly. In my hall some of the elders wives were pretty tough.

W

• JH
    JH

I'm sorry that I offended people here, and I was wrong to put emphasis in size. It won't happen again. I'm ignorant on all the medical problems that do exist.

• Scully
    Scully
    Nice post and point of view, but i[n] my book it's equal to anybody elses point of view on the matter
    Is that your way of justifying your prejudice against overweight people?
    I didnt say that Scully. All I said is that I won't talk about overweight people anymore. It was an error.

Obviously you think you have the right - "it's equal to anybody elses point of view" - to make negative judgements about people based on their weight.

What you said throughout the course of this thread:

I know an elder (Hermann) who is so fat and out of shape that his wife has to mow the lawn and shovel the entrance.
    Once, I remember, he asked her to tie his shoe because he had a hard time bending that low. Gee, he should go on a diet. I have nothing against fat people

You "have nothing against fat people", but you judge him by saying "he should go on a diet"... sounds like you do have something against fat people, you just aren't aware of it.

I don't hate fat people.

He eats like a pig, and he is way overweight for an elder who preaches and should give the example.

Again, you hold it against him that he "eats like a pig", "is way overweight" and "should give the example." You may not "hate" him. But you pick on the fact that he is overweight and that it somehow makes him less of a person. (Compared to you?? )

Face it JH, you were not very nice gossiping about this "friend" of yours. With "friends" like that, who needs enemies?

While you are entitled to hold any opinion that you wish, let's just get one thing straight: statements to that effect are offensive AND are in direct conflict with the posting guidelines of this discussion board.

Posting Guidelines
    To ensure all users feel safe and keen to participate, please avoid:

1. Insulting, threatening or provoking language
    2. Inciting hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristic.
  • JH
    JH

I said that I WAS sorry before your post Scully.

I'll say it again, IM sorry that I put emphasis on his size. It won't happen again.

• Scully
    Scully

JH, I was typing my reply and didn't see your apology until after I sent my post.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

So Scully, when you were a JW did you rule the roost??? Inquiring minds want to know.

A lot of JWs were of the opinion that my ex wore the pants in our family. Looking back, it was true in many ways. My ex used to nag me to cut the grass and I'd give in just to keep her quiet. Sometimes she'd haul out the lawnmower to start doing it herself, but I suspect it was a way to guilt me into doing it. Worked every time.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit