Explain monogamy to me

by joelbear 28 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

interesting comments.

socially it appears that our competitiveness outmeasures our cooperativeness, this is putting it very simplistically.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It is a rare man, however, who can handle more than one wife (IMO).

AGREED

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Joel Wideman, I agree with you and find that the older I get the less concerned I am with fashion.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I know polyamorous people who seem to be doing just fine, but its something not everyone can handle. I'm personally very monogamous. I have no opinion on which is better I think that if you are consenting adults and everyone is happy fine, otherwise not so much.

Sherry

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Biologically speaking, multiple matings are better for diversity. But since more westerners are deciding to have fewer children (about 1-2), I think that monogamy wouldn't be as much of a damper on the gene pool, as compared to some other factors. Like the increase in detrimental and recessive alleles (e.g. various food allergies).

Monogamy is a very strong proclivity for some. If 2 people both feel this way and enjoy each other then all the power to them.

• one_ugly_time
    one_ugly_time

Are you referring to emotional monogamy or physical monogamy... and can the two be seperated... and is monogomy "normal".

I contend that if you are not physically monogomous, then you are not emotionally monogomous, except with possibly yourself, but certainly not with another individual. Even the most stoic individuals require emotional content (regardless of how perverse the emotions may be) to have a desire for physical contact. This is why I believe all animals have feelings.

However, I believe you can have mulitple emotional partners and still remain physically monogomous (the most common marriage, IMHO). I don't believe any single individual can mirror another individual enough so that there is a true emotional monogamy. Otherwise, we would be mating recluses !

And for the homophobic, I contend that male-to-male emotional non-monogomy is far more common than any other type... Ask any "heterosexual" married man to stay away from his "buddies" for a month and see what a basket case he is.

Then there is the topic of spiritual monogomy.

OUT

• professor
    professor
    It is a rare man, however, who can handle more than one wife

I love my wife dearly, but If I had more than one I think I would end up jumping off a tall building. One advantage to marriage is to not have to deal with much of the drama, jealousy, and instability involved in single life, dating, and roommate situations. A polyamourous arrangement to me would not close many issues that a monogamous marriage does indeed resolve. Also, balance would seem almost impossible. It seems that someone would end up getting the shaft one way or another. Also considering the complexity of a relationship of two and how often this seemingly simple concept fails, consider the dynamic of a group and how unprobable it would be for all to find lasting fulfillment. The idea of a cluster of wives making a professor sandwich, however, is a big turn on.

-pro

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

I also like the idea of the extended families living together (ie. typically seen in Asian cultures). As for a communal setting, there is no way I would "share" my husband with others. That's just not right. IMO

• joelbear
    joelbear

i'm not suggesting one man and a bunch of women and children, that would be overwhelming. i am more talking about 5 couples and children sharing resources and sex.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit