transferred him from a department making items for industrial use to a
    department making parts for military equipment. While his belief that
    his religion proscribed work on war materials was not shared by all
    other Jehovah's Witnesses, the Court held that it was inappropriate to
    inquire into the validity of beliefs asserted to be religious so long as
    the claims were made in good faith (and the beliefs were at least
    arguably religious).

http://www.eco.freedom.org/ac92/ac92pg1013.shtml

I'm gonna register my own religion, expand it to the US, get a job - and never do nothing the rest of my life! You bet mostly anything will be against my religious principles, Since "claims were made in good faith (and the beliefs were at least
    arguably religious)."

I'm truly happy I'm not a US employer!

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between a fool and the JW legal department is that a fool might be sympathetic ."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

At the place I work, when I started working there, there were at least half a dozen Witlesses working there. We had three in cleaning, plus another that started shortly after working, plus a number of them in another department. The whole work atmosphere was full of debates and flame wars about some stupid trivia that even the Governing Body do not agree on.

What happened to this crew? The other department Witlesses quit. In the cleaning department, one got fired because of intentionally destroying displays with the floor machine (someone called in sick). Another was fired for sleeping on the job. Two others quit without giving any notice, presumably to move out of town. And me? I turned apostate as a Witless, but I am still working there.

I have another suggestion, come Christmas time. Make it clear that everyone would be expected to pitch in toward setting up for Christmas and other holidays as part of their jobs. Additionally, provide several copies of Crisis of Conscience for every employee to read. That would not be objectionable to other religious denominations, and it would help other employees to avoid falling for the scam. But it would scare off Witlesses that are bent on infiltrating a place to cause problems for it later on.

• blondie
    blondie

I would never force anyone to particpate in holiday things at work. I worked with Bahai, atheists, Muslims, Jews, who did not celebrate and felt it was a violation of their beliefs. It is good to remember that not everyone celebrates Christmas besides jws.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Interesting to see this thread ressurected. Especially with the current one about Dubs (customers) causing a diner to close. Kind of a "both sides" phenomenon.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

i was always a damn good worker while being a witness same as i am now. so i know they exist.

fact is i would probably not hire one, and if it struck me that he was the best person for the job i would set things up to knock problems in the head before theyg ot started.

a new code of office conduct, dress code, employee rulebook ect.

hire them as temps for three months......... which means that you can fire them at any time without a reason.

make it clear that senority is how things are done...... so if someone who has been working at the company for years wants sunday off............. then the dub aint getting it....... untill they have senority

get an iron clad system

a list of job requirements

make sure that if you dont meet the requirements for the job then your out......... can even give them a 30 day window in which if there is a job they are qualified for and have enough senority for then can transfer.....

basicly think like the society................... CYA baby

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Kent: Your out of proportion rants putting down anyone not agreeing with you is disturbing.

All: It's a big world out there. If you don't hire JWs because you cannot reasonably accommodate their beliefs, then don't hire anyone that just might have beliefs you can't accommodate. Do the work yourself. In a civilized society we find ways to work together, or we go it alone.

Yes, in some jobs, reasonable people will have an upfront understanding of what the job duties will be; and sometimes it will not be clear to reasonable people what will be required (how would I, who have never heard of this "Chi-Chi's", know that I would be expected to sing Happy Birthday" if employed there? Would I really feel cheated if someone didn't sing Happy Birthday to me as a customer - what, is the food that bad? I don't see I'd be that demanding).

In the end, this sweeping generalization to "not hire JWs" is as useful a conversation as not hiring Catholics because they won't sell condoms, or Hindus because they won't sell beef, or Jews because they won't sell pork, etc. ad nauseum. And if you can't work withe people, you have no business being in business and hiring people.

• letarottenthingnotbementioned
    letarottenthingnotbementioned

ok as a witness out for 18 years this conversation is just absurd...all of us know either when we were in or out we are all imperfect and we in or out did imperfect things so give your head a shake. I am sorry but to blame the witnesses for work ethics is absurd we all know what we should do but personality faults can't be blamed on the WTS. We all have our critisisms but come on people let this not turn into National Enquierer you only hurt your credibility. I have found those week in work ethics cannot be blamed on an organization just as a shitty baseball player can't blame his coach for his limp wrist. We aLL KNOW HOW WE ARE SUPPOSED TO Have been but not ALL of us followed it. It comes down to the individual so bitterness over our experiences with the WTS should not stoop to labelling every lazy ass JW as a product of the WTS. I have met a lot of lazy asses in my life and they come from all walks of life. This argument to me comes down to another agenda and its called pure and simple: BITTERNESS. Grow up, get a life and be a force for good...not stupid unfounded pettiness to blame every negative feeling on your past association. Sorry but this argument completely and utterly absurd....embarrased its even on here.

weak people = weak ethics

Kent and Sam sorry I respect your right to your view but please do me a favour let dead dogs lie...don't respond this, it is a no brainer...don't stoop to a lower level of intelligence in responding.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Wow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit